Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4/XBO/PC)

• @sabotagethetruth if you looted all those bounty hunters, you'd probably have $300 by now. :p

You're gonna kill thousands of people in this game. It's really the least realistic part of the game.

• @tokyoslim I've been looting them, the most I get is 50 cents and four rounds for my revolver. I also wasn't able to survive that 30 man bounty hunter rush. It's hard out here for an outlaw.

• @sabotagethetruth hold left on the d pad and open your satchel. You don't have any buckles, rings, watches, etc? You haven't found any treasure maps yet? Etc.

Unless you literally haven't unlocked any way to make money in the game yet, $300 shouldn't be that hard to get. You can go hunt down bounties in other states, etc.

• @tokyoslim No treasure maps, this is super early game stuff here. I have valuables to get rid of but the constant swarms of bounty hunters make it next to impossible to get anything accomplished without feeling like I accidentally activated horde mode. I think I'm just going to donate all my money to the camp and turn myself in, it's not worth the hassle of being shot at with reckless abandon. Looks like I won't even sneeze in the direction of the law until I have at least a grand to pay off bounties, that's the lesson I'm coming away with.

• @sabotagethetruth maybe. I dunno, I think you're probably doing something wrong, not exploring enough or something. Like, ride to Strawberry or Van Horne or something and nobody will be chasing you?

• @tokyoslim Not at that point in the story, I don't even know where those places are. My camp is currently in the bounty zone so anything I do to make progress in that area has me under constant fire. I have Valentine on my map and the place I went bear hunting with Hosea, that's about it. I could wander around aimless for awhile until I find another town but if money is as easy to make as you say it is later on, I may as well part with the savings I have and just be done with the bounty hunter army for now.

• @sabotagethetruth you can go anywhere you want. Leaving the territory you're wanted in will lower your chances of encountering bounty hunters and allow you to do more side missions.

• @tokyoslim I'd personally like to do the side missions that are available instead of wandering around aimlessly, just how I prefer my open worlds. Besides, maybe Arthur will learn some new tricks in jail, like how to make toilet wine.

• @b-cell
    Could also be a convincing fake

• @sabotagethetruth You won't have that mindset for long. :p

• @sabotagethetruth That Doctor office thing has caused problems for a lot of people. There was an article on Kotaku about it, about how there is literally no way to do it without the law coming after you. Luckily I had enough money before to make sure I could pay the bounty, that and I ran without killing too many so it was only like 100 for me.

But maybe just do the story missions? Those shouldn't be unavailable, and will sometimes get you money. Or you could go and catch the best horse in the game as a fun side mission.
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-12-21-red-dead-redemption-2-best-horse-bonding-horses-explained-4975

Or surrender to law after spending your money on guns and clothes like a good outlaw 😊

• @inustar I actually had a pretty funny follow-up to my trials and tribulations. So I donated all of my money to the camp, got myself a few upgrades, and headed into Valentine to turn myself in. As soon as I walk in, a cutscene triggers and the sheriff tells me, "Well I know you're not here to turn yourself in, so I've got some work for you." I'm literally shouting at the screen that I am in fact here to turn myself in, please let me pay off my bounty in jail but nope... gotta do his mission, get paid, spend the money again, and then turn myself in. Woof.

Hopped into online with my buddy today, I needed a break from Arthur's life for a bit. I'll post impressions in that thread once I feel more situated, still working on a lot of the tutorial type missions.

• When the game says "go out and make money" and you're like "No".

lol

• @tokyoslim I mean, you're forced into doing that bounty because it's part of the tutorial, I couldn't say no to doing it even if I wanted to but it still doesn't pay enough to free the bounty on my head though. It just set me back from doing what I wanted to do (turn myself in) while telling me it knew I wasn't there to turn myself in (I was). You'd figure the sheriff would be best friends with me and offer a discount or something on my own bounty but nope.

• @sabotagethetruth I know. It's because you're choosing to swim upstream so hard. You chose the path of most resistance. I just find it interesting how much the game really WANTS you to RP and punishes you for not.

• @tokyoslim it's one hell of a salmon simulator, I'll give you that. Today is the day I become a free man, I can feel it in the air.

• @sabotagethetruth Just remember that upstream is where you go to DIE. You should go downstream if you want to do some living first. haha

• The Good - Certain missions have been really great so far. Drinking with Lenny? Absolute joy. Any non-essential mission with someone from the camp? Always jolly. I made a trip down to Saint Denis, bought a ticket to a show, looked around the lovely theater, and had a great time. Surprisingly, the show even had a few interactive elements. For whatever reason, Arthur was getting really excited/pissed off while playing Blackjack and that led to some of the funniest moments of the game as well.

The Bad - Bounty system. The extreme amount of tutorials for very simple things yet more complex systems you're better off looking up online. The pacing is all over the place. Some missions will start and time-skip you to where you need to be, others start with riding somewhere for about a minute of dialogue and two to three minutes in absolute silence. Uncle.

The Ugly - Online. Economy is immensely busted, a lot of missions won't start properly (unless you've got someone around to kill you, that seems to reset things), frequent crashes, lots of framerate hitching. I'm a Fallout 76 apologist but I've had far less problems in the 40 hours I've dumped there compared to the 3 or 4 I've given Red Dead Online. At least it's free and in beta, so not a huge deal.

I've reached chapter 3 after having most of the weekend with the game. It already feels a lot more interesting due to Rhodes having more to do and more of a backstory.

• Can someone answer me a question without spoilers? I am about half way through chapter 6 and thus far have completely avoided the southwestern part of the map (New Austin) other than the fleeting mission around blackwater. I have not seen an official timer in the game but I must have upwards of 100 hours so far and have avoided new austin because a) blackwater is in the red alert status and b) I assumed that the story would take me there eventually. As the game seems to be drawing to a close and we have not yet journeyed there, I wonder if this was a misguided approach and I have artificially missed out on hunts and treasures etc. While I know that I can run around there in the post-game, can someone tell me if the story progression (again, without spoilers) will take me there naturally or whether I may as well just go explore that region now before I finish the game?

• @ozymandsss No you're good. The story will at least take you to Blackwater, and after that you can explore New Austin to your hearts content.