Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4/XBO/PC)

• @b-cell just cause you don't agree with a review doesn't mean the reviewers are paid off. I find it especially absurd that you claim this even though you haven't played the game.

It's people like you who give gamers a bad name

• Not that I have to really say it, but the critics vs gamers divide surrounding GTA IV was blown way out of proportion and basically only existed in the eyes of forum dwellers. No evidence of Rockstar paying anybody off either. They don't need critical acclaim to achieve sales and their internal bonuses are based on sales performance and not metacritic score. Also just going to throw in that I think GTA IV is the best GTA game, but thats neither here nor there.

RDR2 will probably come to PC. I'm almost tempted to hold out on it until it comes to PC just because I don't know if I want to play an open world game at this moment. I also will be subjected to spoilers from my roommate so I think I may as well take the best experience at face value when it inevitably comes to PC.

I hope everybody has a great time playing tomorrow. It always feels monumental when Rockstar releases a game. I still get the chills thinking back to the release of GTA IV in grade 9. I was beyond excited back then.

• @b-cell said in Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4/XBO):

The thing is, critics have to give rockstar games perfect 10 or many professional reviewers can lose thier jobs. rocktar pay to big companies for perfect 10. see GTA4 fisaco 10 years ago how critics and gamers had divided opinion

This is not a thing and never happened. Please stop.

• My copy arrives tomorrow. I really should have gotten the pro bundle.

• @capnbobamous said in Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4/XBO):

@b-cell just cause you don't agree with a review doesn't mean the reviewers are paid off. I find it especially absurd that you claim this even though you haven't played the game.

It's people like you who give gamers a bad name

did any reviewer criticize tap x to run and mediocre shooting mechanic? if it was not rockstar, reviewers would.

since its rockstar, they ignore the flaws and give it 10/10. 10 means perfect and game has no flaws. but rockstar games are far from.

reading through impressions, i found out it still has tap x to run. which is very disappointing. why cant they stick to max payne 3 style of controling??

beside if it was not for wild west, i would not have care about it but since its wild west game thats why im interested to play it.

• I caved when I saw Amazon offered free day one delivery last night still, so I do have it now, just not at home.

The reviews aren't really doing anything for me, having similar concerns as Tokeeffe9. A lot of attention being focused on the attention to detail which fine, helps make a world feel more alive, but that's just icing really whereas the core campaign and where it takes you is the real meat of this thing and not much is spoken if it.

• @sheria said in Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4/XBO):

I caved when I saw Amazon offered free day one delivery last night still, so I do have it now, just not at home.

The reviews aren't really doing anything for me, having similar concerns as Tokeeffe9. A lot of attention being focused on the attention to detail which fine, helps make a world feel more alive, but that's just icing really whereas the core campaign and where it takes you is the real meat of this thing and not much is spoken if it.

the thing that save original RDR was wild west setting. no game before that done very nicely. but if you removie wild west setting. it would have become another generic open world action game. not even story was that good.

Original RDR was good 7/10 game. not 10/10 and best ever.

so im not surprised by 10s rating.

I guess max payne 3 always remain rockstar best game. unfortunately rockstars lowest rated too.

• @b-cell said in Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4/XBO):

@sheria said in Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4/XBO):

I caved when I saw Amazon offered free day one delivery last night still, so I do have it now, just not at home.

the thing that save original RDR was wild west setting. no game before that done very nicely. but if you removie wild west setting. it would have become another generic open world action game. not even story was that good.

I guess max payne 3 always remain rockstar best game. unfortunately rockstars lowest rated too.

I think its take on the Wild West was extremely generic to be honest, it pulled from so many movies and tropes simply because they knew they could get away with it due to how few Western games were out there.

I'm not going to speculate on reviewers and their scoring systems. The popularity of Rockstar's games relies too much on their agressive advertising though in my opinion.

Max Payne 3 sucked though, so no, I highly disagree with that. God, how can you honestly put that ... thing.... above the original two....

• @el-shmiablo said in Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4/XBO):

@b-cell said in Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4/XBO):

The thing is, critics have to give rockstar games perfect 10 or many professional reviewers can lose thier jobs. rocktar pay to big companies for perfect 10. see GTA4 fisaco 10 years ago how critics and gamers had divided opinion

This is not a thing and never happened. Please stop.

While I wont speculate on this game, I'm sorry but it has happened. The Driv3r situation has been a lucky example of what can potentially happen.

• @sheria said in Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4/XBO):

@b-cell said in Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4/XBO):

@sheria said in Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4/XBO):

I think its take on the Wild West was extremely generic to be honest, it pulled from so many movies and tropes simply because they knew they could get away with it due to how few Western games were out there.

I'm not going to speculate on reviewers and their scoring systems. The popularity of Rockstar's games relies too much on their agressive advertising though in my opinion.

Max Payne 3 sucked though, so no, I highly disagree with that. God, how can you honestly put that ... thing.... above the original two....

I dont take max payne 3 over original. Original was masterpiece but i find MP3 better than 2.

Max payne 3 was excellent game. the core gameplay and shooting is easily best in any of third person game. it does have problems like unskipabble cutscenes but when it comes to gameplay. its shine.

• Played through the first two hours and completed Chapter 1 with its tutorial missions, sort of. Now the world actually opens up and the game begins. What an overwhelming feeling this is! :) I think I'll help around the camp, start to upgrade it, and then slowly start to widen my circle around it. This game'll last till Christmas, at least.

• I'm very worried about the start from.what I've heard, it seems like that slow walking/talking Naughty Dog syndrome hits it.

• I have to admit watching the last two Huber Syndromes about red dead redemption was very helpful.

Chapter 1 was great imo, it set up the story and some of the side characters, it never felt boring to me.

My 1 complain so far is the bounty system, i finished a mission and some how got a bounty, after that i was riding my horse and bumped into a guy and somehow that was a "crime", in the end i got killed and lost all the animal belts on my horse.

• Black Cell, you are fixated on the definition of 10/10. Every publication has their own scale and arbitrary system of how to place a score on a game within it. YOUR PERSONAL SCALE means 10/10 is perfect, but we are critiquing art, not an essay so my scale nor many critics agree with you.

I'd also rate RDR a 7-8/10, but I'm not opposed to somebody giving it a 10/10 on their personal scale. Different people value different things, it isn't that difficult to understand.

OT, my coworker was bragging about how fast he downloaded RDR2. 30 minutes to do 96GB I think he said. Damn, I wish my neighbourhood has fiber optic internet.

• @dipset
    Welp, once my raise kicks in I know what I'm upgrading to.

• Global Moderator

Not sure if anyone has heard but Amazon Canada are pulling some seriously disgusting anti consumer moves for the people who ordered the game with the E3 discount. Friend of mine got two copies and was giving me one but they've both been delayed to December at the moment... so decided to buy it digitally instead. Looking forward to it.

• So maybe a good 15ish hours in, and enjoying the hell out of it, was honestly expecting the "survival" to interfere with the game, but it hasn't. Will say I was a bit disappointed by the intro compared to RDR1. Not sure how to describe it just yet, but I feel like it did more in its first hour compared to RDR2's first hour.

Also great hearing Rob Wiethoff back as Marston as I believe he retired from acting after RDR1 (minus his cameo in GTA5)

• @b-cell tap x to run isnt bad though

• @bigdude1
    I mean hell that's been a Rockstar staple all the back on the N64 I believe

• Just encountered a cameo from a character from another Rockstar game....the one possibly coming out next.