Voice actor strike

• Global Moderator

Okey so. I have kinda passively followed this debate for the past month or so. I must say that at first I was in the camp of "ppftt, they prolly earn big bucks anyway so they are a bit of divas even though I know its hard work". However, The more I looked into the facts rather than the "what I think" and especially after listening to the latest podcast and Jones talking about it. I STRONGLY stand on the VA's side. They SHOULD unionise and they should have the rights to work in a safe enviornment and get bonuses if the game is a huge success. VA's ability to preforme a script are much like good acting in a film. If it doesnt work everything around them will crumble.

Also I think its just about respect as well, if you dont prepare the VAs on what they will do, how will they prepare and know what to expect? If you were to put yourself in the shoes of a VA, how would you feel if you came in to a session and all of a sudden have to do really morbid or sexist things? I mean we are all humans after all, a heads up would be nice.

• Not much more I can add that hasn't been said. I will say that the most recent podcast was very eye-opening for me, and made me better appreciate the work that goes into games. It also made me so concerned for Brandon's home life right now.

• Bit of an example here, the end of Titanfall 2, they show each character in the game with

"Matt Mercer
    -as-
    Jack Cooper"

and goes on for almost all of the main characters. I really appreciated them highlighting the voice actors like that.

• @Stormcrownn Matt Mercer is just awesome in most things he does.

• At the end of the day i hope the VA's can get what they want out of this. They know their work and its worth more than anyone. However, I wanted to say a few things that i think are interesting points that we could discuss.

first, being a point that Ian brought up in the podcast saying that the companies not giving them what they want now (the biggest hang up being compensation for so many sales) is not about this issue. Its about what the issue will be afterwards, which is designers demanding more compensation and unionizing.I think Designers probably do need a union, and that for this VA issue to be fixed, the whole industry needs to change. Designers all work crazy amount of hours to bring you your favorite games. There's numerous articles on the subject with the latest being Amy Hennig saying how she has worked no less than 80 hours a week for 10 years. Do these people not deserve compensation for a game that sells well? This leads into my other point.

Should VA's get compensated for sales? or should they just get payed more? I personally don't know which one is actually best for the industry. I hope that that's something that the whole industry can agree on. The one thing that made me think about this question, and many of you may disagree, is that compensation for sales should heavily weigh on whether or not the talent on the game is bringing people in to play it. For me personally i don't play games because Troy Baker is in it. I honestly don't care. I will however go see a movie because Liam Neeson is in it because i enjoy his movies. I think more people see movies for particular actors then they buy games for VA's. I wonder if this is not understandable stance? More people will play a game because Hideo Kojima or Amy Hennig Designed it before they buy the game for a specific VA. Or how about your favorite artist that brings the art style you like to your favorite game?

I personally think VA's need everything they are asking for. From what i heard they could definitely be payed more. But what about compensation for sales? Should every designer get compensated for games sold too? How should the industry change to make it fair for all?

• I really wish VA get the conpensation they deserve but I'm afraid that this leads to game developers unionizing, thus an increase in game development costs making this industry even more risky.

• @LordBaztion said in Voice actor strike:

I really wish VA get the conpensation they deserve but I'm afraid that this leads to game developers unionizing, thus an increase in game development costs making this industry even more risky.

The counter argument to this is that unionising would make working in the games industry a more stable career option with a more diverse, qualified and content workforce that would be able to make better games.

• @LordBaztion I'll take a few years of publishers being sore losers if it means we can eliminate "crunch time" and give developers a better work environment and the compensation they deserve.

• @thenerdtheword yes, better but fewer jobs. Some developers will lose their jobs making the career less attractive and publishers most likely will outource game development making games worse (due to the lack of training), less innovative (since it would require safer investments). More likely developers will start more indie studios in which, labor conditions will remain mostly the same.

@thenerdtheword would you be willing to pay more for your games in order to soften publisher's losses or do you expect them to peacefully take the hit? Personally I would gladly pay more for a game if I'm asured that the developers are properly compensated.

• @LordBaztion Most developers/publishers are starting to come around to investing in teams and training long term because the increased demands of game dev requires a more skilled workforce. Having guarantees (through unions, favourable contracts, etc.) for people working on a game to work they way they want and still have a life is the best way to make bigger and better games. As someone who works in the industry it would give me piece of mind and allow me to better do my job.

As for paying more for games I'd be happy to do it but I wouldn't be surprised if publishers end up taking a small hit to profits to help continued growth. Film and TV had to face similar changes and they've worked out ok :P