Entry Point Games

• We've all got one genre of games that we've always wanted to try out but have never been sure where to start. I figure we could use this thread as a place to give suggestions for places to start in certain genres.

My first suggestion is Skullgirls for the fighting game genre. It's got excellent tutorial and practice systems but doesn't dumb down any elements.

• Interesting thread! I can add some suggestions after I've had some time to think and write a more in-depth explanation for why I think it's a good introduction.

But when it comes to fighting games I feel that the community (and non-stop repitition) is the biggest hurdle, not really the mechanics or whatever.

• Kind of hard for a bunch of genres, since I feel like a bunch of games blur the line (see: the great Captain Toad Treasure Tracker controversy), but here are my two cents:

JRPGS - Honestly, I think Pokemon is the best way to get into this. It is essentially an intro to pretty basic (at surface level) turn-based battling, but with the added hook of monster collecting. The first two gens are especially great, since that was before it tried having a story about saving the world, and instead focused on having an adventure.
    I was tempted to suggest Chrono Trigger, but I don't want to ruin the genre for someone when they realize that no other game ever measures up. That's how Cowboy Bebop almost ruined anime for me.

SRPGS - Fire Emblem: Awakening is a great entry point because of the full range of difficulty it offers. You can go easy mode without permadeath, all the way up to super-hard where everyone dies. All the while you play a super-refined and addictive game with an engrossing narrative. Just great all around.

• Global Moderator

I'd say for racing games, Obviously Grand Turnismo 5 (At least until Sport is released).

• @Lotias I'd say Burnout 3 was a pretty great entry point for racing games. At least for me anyways, as someone who is terrible at racing games. That Crash mode got me super into that game.

• Global Moderator

@Inustar Yeah that is true! I was thinking more of "race sim", should of made that clear xD Burnout 3 is by FAR my favourite arcade racing game! I was AWESOME at that crash mode :3

• I would say that racing games should be divided in sims and arcade racers. Then there are "hybrids" that are too sim to be called arcades, but also to arcade to be called a sim. These are games like NFS shift and Forza Horizons I would argue.

Both Burnout Paradise and Mario Kart (8 and Double Dash!! are my favourites) are great entry points to the arcade racing genre.
    I found my entry to racing sims to be Forza motorsport 2 but Gran Turismo 5 is also a blast.

• I will do strategy. My first suggestion is age of empires 3. While not regarded as high as its predecessor, it's strong point is the way it eases new players, not just to the game or a franchise, but also the genre. Building units and buildings are given story initiative, but you are still free to experiment. Plus there are not that many unique resources to collect and the unit limit is fairly small.

My other suggestions are The settlers 6, Anno 1404 and starcraft 2, if you desire sci-fi strategy.

Also, since Civ 6 came out fairly recently, I can confirm that it is a superb game, however VERY overwhelming for a newcomer. I advise against picking it up if you are new to the genre or franchise, but Ben did two fantastic streams where he explains the essentials of it. Watch them before inevitably spending infinite hours on the game.

• Persona 4 golden to get into the whole SMT-universe. Start with something "cute" and inviting.... before you know it you'll be on r/MegaTen yelling "Lulz, haven't even tried Nocturne, Scrub?!" to friendly newcomers.

• I really like the idea of this thread. I've been looking at it for a while but I haven't come up with a good answer so I'll pose some questions instead.

Help me or somebody else get into the following genres or series with an entry point game

• Final Fantasy
    • Resident Evil
    • SoulsBorne
    • Nintendo (hear me out! I'm nearly 22 and most people my age are in the generation of adults who started gaming on the N64 or PS1 and possibly left Nintendo behind since then and generally see Nintendo as a more of a kiddy/toy company than a AAA game company. I don't believe this, but I certainly have been mostly uninterested in Nintendo after the GC with the exception of Wii U which I still didn't buy. Growing up however, most people at school who considered themselves gamers were on the PS/Xbox train)
    • Fighting games

• @GoTaco
    As for Nintendo, I'd say Zelda is always a good place to start, especially for adults. I recommend Twilight Princess HD, A Link Between Worlds and Majora's Mask/Ocarina of Time 3d. As for Mario, the Galaxy games are absolutely wonderful, and Super Paper Mario is excellent.

• @GoTaco said in Entry Point Games:

I really like the idea of this thread. I've been looking at it for a while but I haven't come up with a good answer so I'll pose some questions instead.

Help me or somebody else get into the following genres or series with an entry point game

• Final Fantasy
    • Resident Evil
    • SoulsBorne
    • Nintendo (hear me out! I'm nearly 22 and most people my age are in the generation of adults who started gaming on the N64 or PS1 and possibly left Nintendo behind since then and generally see Nintendo as a more of a kiddy/toy company than a AAA game company. I don't believe this, but I certainly have been mostly uninterested in Nintendo after the GC with the exception of Wii U which I still didn't buy. Growing up however, most people at school who considered themselves gamers were on the PS/Xbox train)
    • Fighting games

Final Fantasy id say 9 no complicated game play systems, easy to follow story. decent visuals.
    Soulsborne id say bloodborne or the original dark souls. ds2 while a much easier game just has horrible pacing i dont think i new comer would be able to stick it out.

• @GoTaco

I would say release order, but that isn't really in the spirit of the thread sooo:

FF: FFIV. It's when the series really began to be operatic and character-based. It's paced really well, and it's all-round really solid.

RE: RE1. Understanding the original is so important to the series. The series basically heaps on characters and references as it moves forward, and I think the original holds up great. It's goofy and atmospheric. I'd recommend a Jill playthrough.

Soulsborne: Bloodborne. It's streamlined, stand-alone, and probably translates best if you're already into character-action or other faster paced action games.

Nintendo: That's too broad, but I'd recommend playing some NES games! Lots of amazing stuff on that system.

Fighting Games: I don't know if fighting games are worth jumping into unless you have someone around that's as interested as you are in playing them. There are also a hell of a lot of different kinds. I'd recommend Super Street Fighter II for 2D fundamentals, and then maybe Soul Caliber II if you just wanna mess around with friends and fight through a campaign.

• I recommend Midnight Club 3 DUB edition remix as an entry to racing games. Though the graphics are dated its still one of the best in its genre imo.

• I should have specified that I posed those questions not necessarily for me personally but in case others were looking for answers too.

I'd still like to hear more responses for the broad "Nintendo" entry point.

I've thought about it a bit and I think: Fight Night Champion, SSX Tricky, 3, or On Tour, Skate 2, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, 4, or Underground are all amazing entry point games for both sports as well as arcade games. They are extremely fun and are actually very technical games which will likely make you appreciate other genres such as fighting or even sports sim.

• @genzi mhm. I was more of a NFS Underground 2 fan, but this game was the next best thing for me. I really miss these sports arcade games that went away in 2007 or 2008.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.