How to build your own Gaming PC!

• @tokeeffe9 have you tried doing what it says in the picture, what sound card do you have, or is it hdmi to the monitor that connects to the speaker.

• Global Moderator

@ib0show It's a desktop so the suggestions don't really help bar the bios but I didn't see anything.

Monitor is connected via HDMI. Speakers are just connected to the the motherboard through the jack.

• This isn't about building a PC but Kotaku did a write up on how to keep your damn PC asleep, a problem that has been driving me absolutely insane for years now. I can have maybe a web browser opened and for whatever reason, my PC will wake up every 10 min then turn off. Some times it'll stay asleep for a very long time. There is no rhyme or reason to any of this since my settings say it needs to stay asleep. I'm going to try these troubleshooting steps asap: https://kotaku.com/the-endless-quest-to-make-my-windows-pc-stay-asleep-ove-1823232841

• Is this a right place to ask hardware question?

• I think there is a "PC Gaming Thread" where I've asked some questions but what difference does it make? Go ahead and shoot!

• @dipset

So my settings are

R9 270
    8 GB RAM
    FX 8350

My question is, because of I don't want to do a big upgrade near the next gen; I want to know if any one of these would be enough for mid-high mixed settings in games like GR: Breakpoint, The Division 2, Control, BFV, SW: BF2, RDR2, Cyberpunk 2077, Death Stranding etc. 1080p-60 FPS focused.

Sapphire RX580 PULSE GDDR5 8GB 256Bit AMD Radeon DX12
    MSI RX580 ARMOR 8G OC 8GB GDDR5 256Bit AMD Radeon DX12
    ASUS RX580 ROG STRIX TOP 8GB GDDR5 256Bit AMD Radeon DX12
    Sapphire RX580 NITRO+ OC GDDR5 8GB 256Bit AMD Radeon DX12
    Sapphire RX570 NITRO+ OC GDDR5 4GB 256Bit AMD Radeon DX12

• @scotty I can't recommend specific AMD GPU (I always used Nvidia), but I can give you one advice. GPU makes huge difference when you go for 4K Ultra settings. But for 1080p Mid/Hi CPU & Motherboard are also important, since they are responsible for loading data into GPU. I'm not saying that upgrading GPU is pointless, but if you upgrade just GPU you will get less performance than it could potentially deliver.

P.S. Personally, I did big update this August and I feel very confident for next-gen (I have both SSD and Ray-Tracing). My PC will certainly be cheaper next year, but I really wanted to play Control the best possible way.

• @scotty

I'm going to go ahead and say YES but I am not a computer expert by any means. Considering you have an 8 core CPU and 8GB of RAM, pretty much any GPU upgrade you list is going to put you into the mid-high range. I wouldn't say consistent 60fps but probably enough. Like even my GTX 1080 and i7 6700k (4 core) doesn't always stay @ 2K 60f.

Games are super well optimized now. I was looking at COD MW specs and I think the lowest recommended settings still allow for like 2011-2012 graphics cards. I think any upgrade to GPU will be plenty. Just make sure its compatible with motherboard and make sure your PSU has enough juice.

I'll wait for a more qualified person to reply but I think you're good.

• Thanks for the replies, then we can move on to next question:

Do you guys think any of these GPUs will fit into my computer case(I don't know if it's the right term in English)? Like, we know that R9 270 fits, do the other GPUs will fit too?

@dipset said in How to build your own Gaming PC!:

Just make sure its compatible with motherboard and make sure your PSU has enough juice.

How can I learn this information? Is there a way?

• @scotty Look for the length of each graphic card. If new card is shorter, it will definitely fit. If it's longer, just open you case and make measurements.

• @scotty said in How to build your own Gaming PC!:

How can I learn this information? Is there a way?
    Generally if your power supply has at least 600W you'll be fine with single GPU. If it's lower, look at peak power consumption for your CPU & GPU (it should be published by AMD). Add another 100W-150W (for Motherboard, HDDs, etc) and you'll get power requirements.
    As for compatibility, it should not be a problem even if your GPU and Montherboard have different versions of PCI-E port.

• @ffff0 said in How to build your own Gaming PC!:

Generally if your power supply has at least 600W you'll be fine with single GPU.

It's 650W(peak)

@ffff0 said in How to build your own Gaming PC!:

If it's lower, look at peak power consumption for your CPU & GPU (it should be published by AMD). Add another 100W-150W (for Motherboard, HDDs, etc) and you'll get power requirements.

As far as I searched; GPU consumes less than 150W and CPU consumes 125. If we add another 150 for the motherboard, HDD etc. Let's say all the system consume 500W(max.) and there is still another 150W that can be used in the power supply.

If I decide to buy I will buy the ASUS ROG Strix RX 580 one and that one consumes 150W, similar to my current GPU.

@ffff0 said in How to build your own Gaming PC!:

As for compatibility, it should not be a problem even if your GPU and Montherboard have different versions of PCI-E port.

Then, as a result I think I won't have any problem with new GPU. And in my case's site, it says ''You can use huge GPUs in this case'' I hope they are not lying and I'm not sure that RX 580 is even that big.

Thanks for all the answers, I will use the informations from here if I decide to move on with this upgrade.

Last question: It won't any difference between SSDs right, I mean as a power consumption, space etc.? My current one is Sandisk 60GB and I am thinking to buy an 240 GB one.

• Last question: It won't any difference between SSDs right, I mean as a power consumption, space etc.? My current one is Sandisk 60GB and I am thinking to buy an 240 GB one.

Every component you add to your computer uses at least a little power, even plugging in a headset or keyboard. The big internal stuff like disk drives use a little more, but still less than CPUs and GPUs. I've used this calculator site in the past, although perhaps there are better ones: https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

I think this site recommends to factor in a 10% loss in wattage from your power supply due to aging. In my own personal PC building notes I've written down a recommendation to "factor in a 20-30% loss over the first year if using 24/7 (and minimal loss beyond that)". There's also the idea that you want safety headroom separate from the aging (which also makes it easier to add components in the future).

Short of getting years of experience as an electrical engineer, at some you point you just gotta use your intuition with these things to judge the best you can!

BTW @Scotty, are you using this website to plan your PC? If I remember correctly, after you plug in all your PC parts it will identify those subtler issues like "are these components technically compatible (sockets, connectors)?" and "does your GPU physically fit inside your computer case " (maybe it even does power requirements now that I think about it)

• @chocobop

No, I just want new SSD and GPU for my current build. So, after I picked them; I just asked questions.

But as far as I understand, I won't have power supply problem probably and hopefully.

Thank you too.

• I think you can manage with a 580 but I would save for a 590 if as all possible, so you have some wiggle room to strive for High settings and still get close to 60FPS.

Eurogamer has a great benchmark from June! https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-05-01-amd-radeon-rx-580-benchmarks-7001

• @hazz3r

Wow! I didn't know 580 is as efficient as these results. I'm even more motivated now! Ahahah

So for the curiosity, let's say I decided to buy ''MSI RX590 ARMOR 8G OC GDDR5 256Bit AMD Radeon DX12'' how much difference would it make between my current ASUS ROG 580 choice? Do you think would it be a good choice?

Edit: I mean when I look at the benchmarks, there is just 10 FPS difference max(most of them are in situations with above 60 FPS and I'm planning to use V-Sync) and even less than that for half of the tested games. I don't know if I should save more.

• @scotty Honestly, I'm struggling to find that model 580 in stock anywhere to do a Price comparison.
    You're getting an entire Terraflop more processing power with a 590 as opposed to a 580 and the prices aren't that much different.

However, if this is just a stop-gap before a bigger upgrade in the future, I think a 580 will be just fine for your needs. Just be prepared to turn some options down for the likes of BFV and Cyberpunk.

• @hazz3r

I will think about it. Thank you for the answers.

• @dipset said in How to build your own Gaming PC!:

Considering you have an 8 core CPU and 8GB of RAM, pretty much any GPU upgrade you list is going to put you into the mid-high range. I wouldn't say consistent 60fps but probably enough.

Well, you were right.

I bought MSI Armor RX 590. My current system is FX 8350, 8 GB RAM and the GPU I wrote. There is definetely increasing in the performance. No complain about it but open world games usually below 60 FPS in high settings, even in medium settings they tend to go below 60 FPS and they stay in 60 and goes below again etc. I mean, it is not like 30-40 something but I can tell from the chuggings that they often go below 60 FPS. You get the point, inconsistent. I opened V-Sync in all the games that I tried but it isn't helping a lot.

The games I tried are Batman-Arkham Knight, Mafia III and FF15. I will see the performance of GR: Wildlands tonight too but I am not waiting for a consistent 60 FPS. I don't know how much more should I spend for a consistent 60 FPS in high settings(1080p) with open-world games but for right now I'm thinking that I will probably won't spend any money for PC gaming any time soon if ever.

Maybe console gaming is a better option for me in the next gen.