Man, I want a comedy news show like Mandatory Update.

• @Hoken That would be cool but I feel like they're content with mentioning whats been happening during that week during the podcast. Plus during the podcast they get time to voice their opinions on how they feel about something that happened in the industry.

• @Hoken I feel like it was more because he didn't want to continue it without Elise.

• I miss mandatory update nights the most. Kyle really let loose on those. Without that we would never have gotten waluigi sneak and love

• I haven't watched Easy Update in over a year because frankly it's just directionless nothing. It's easily the worst ongoing show they have. Mandatory Update was a show, Easy Update is just whatever Ian feels like recording that week.

• @suplextrain It's directionless, but that's kind of his concept. Not every episode is a winner, but sometimes he strikes gold.
    I miss mandatory update (especially nights) as well. But this is what Ian currently wants and we should respect that.

• @ferrisk96 said in Man, I want a comedy news show like Mandatory Update.:

It's directionless, but that's kind of his concept.

Which I think is more out of convenience/laziness or a lack of vision than some inspired idea. Basically "I don't know what to do on my new show, so I'll just do whatever". This lack of focus never ever helps during a creative process. Restrictions breed creativity.

But this is what Ian currently wants and we should respect that.

No? Their job is to provide the content their supporters wants to see. People don't give them money so they can just fuck around. If for example 99% of all patreon supporters didn't like a show they produced with the money they gave them, should they really be making that show? Absolutely not.
    I mean yeah sure they're not forced to do anything (like if Kyle doesn't want to do a Final Bosman type show then he shouldn't have to) but they should definately try and come up with something their supporters and audience wants. If a person made a show 99% of their supporters doesn't like and that person didn't want to make any other show, should they even be making a show in the first place? Shouldn't that money go elsewhere then?

Easy Update is one of their less popular shows and it being a weekly show feels like a waste. Heck, making it a monthly or every other week kind of show would maybe help Ian create those better episodes of the show, if he really wants to keep the format.
    As it stands it just feels like money that could be better spent elsewhere.

• We already have it, it's Easy Allies Podcast, the hit news show featuring tons of comedic bits :p
    That would be cool, but i guess Ian's not really up for it, even back at GT it was kinda like Easy Update now after Elyse left.

• @suplextrain easy update is one of the best shows

• @david-berishaj said in Man, I want a comedy news show like Mandatory Update.:

@suplextrain easy update is one of the best shows

Subjective. But most people don't agree with you. After all Easy Update gets amongst the least views out of their more recent shows.

• I'd like it as well, but the show does need Elyse. I can see Ian and Kyle doing it, but they express their takes on the industry in a different way now.

• @suplextrain said in Man, I want a comedy news show like Mandatory Update.:

But most people don't agree with you. After all Easy Update gets amongst the least views out of their more recent shows

This is not actually true. Unless your definition of "amongst" includes nearly everything outside of the Main podcasts, reviews, and Retros. (You said SHOWS. So like Huber Syndrome, EZ Anime, Reaction Shots, etc) Also, I think you should probably not try to ascribe a position for "most" people unless you've polled "most" people. This seems a lot like a personal opinion projected onto others.

• @tokyoslim said in Man, I want a comedy news show like Mandatory Update.:

This is not actually true. Unless your definition of "amongst" includes nearly everything outside of the Main podcasts, reviews, and Retros. (You said SHOWS. So like Huber Syndrome, EZ Anime, Reaction Shots, etc)

What are you on about? I'm not sure if you're dense or if you want to start something. Mandatory Update is not amongst the more popular EZA content. Also when I say shows I mean regular content, not stuff like retrospectives or something.
    You saying it's amongst their more popular content?

Also, I think you should probably not try to ascribe a position for "most" people unless you've polled "most" people. This seems a lot like a personal opinion projected onto others.

I don't care if you disagree, but you don't really pay much attention if you think most people think Mandatory Update is the best content EZA releases. There are numerous factors. Average viewcount, general consensus is that Ian is the least liked ally (let's be real here, Ian tends to get the most flak), etc.

This is getting sidetracked so I don't want to waste more time on this shit. Especially if you think MU is amongst their more popular content despite having nothing to back it up with. I've already presented my criticism and I don't care if you disagree.

You saying it's amongst their more popular content?

It is averaging over 9k views per show over the last 10 weeks, and if you go back another 10 weeks, it's even higher. This compares pretty favorably to many of the other shows. So I have actual youtube numbers to back me up.

Looking at the Patreon funded content, there's 6 funded shows. Blood can probably correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd say just by eyeballing it, in terms of youtube viewership, it's Frame Trap, Friend Code, EZ Update, Tabletop, Huber Syndrome, Reaction Shots, in that order. And the top two are podcasts.

You also keep calling it "Mandatory Update"? You're aware that's a totally different show, right?

Personally, I know many more people who enjoy EZ Update than not. You may be the opposite, but that doesnt mean that either one of us is qualified to say what "most people think" about it

Edit: Technically Cup of Jones is probably the "show" with the lowest YT viewership. It's in the hundreds. It's locked content though, so I didn't count it.

• @tokyoslim said in Man, I want a comedy news show like Mandatory Update.:

It is averaging over 9k views per show over the last 10 weeks, and if you go back another 10 weeks, it's even higher. This compares pretty favorably to many of the other shows. So I have actual youtube numbers to back me up.

Jesus christ, take your narrow-minded white knighting elsewhere. Look at the numbers. I'm not gonna waste time typing up a chart for someone that would be in denial anyway. Especially when you probably think Ian is amongst the more popular allies amongst people (which would frankly be ignorant). I couldn't give a rats ass if you disagree, because your goal here is tied to you not liking the idea that gasp Ian and his show isn't that popular so you have to "defend" it.
    I even specifically talked about the problems with the show, but since you didn't go off about that I'm assuming you agree with me? Or don't you have a counter to it?

I'm sorry, but I have no interest in talking to people like you. I thought I made this clear with my last post, but I'm saying it again. Reply if you want, but if it's about this drivel I'm not gonna bother to read through all of it. If there's one thing I can't stand it's favorism and blind fanboyism.

• @tokyoslim It's funny, you get told you're narrow-minded when you're looking at the actual number of views per show and extrapolating data from that. Can't please everyone I suppose.

Going back on topic, Mandatory Update was great but just like The Final Bosman, I don't want it back. I'm paraphrasing here, but I recall Jones saying one of the things he's learned over the past two years is they can't just do everything they did at GT. Not only do they not have the manpower for it, it's not the spirit of Easy Allies either. Success is subjective in these terms, but I personally find them to be more successful when they go out of their way to try new things - Easy Living, the Trial of Kyle Bosman, etc.

A quick look at the Easy Update thread shows I've been madly in love with the show for awhile. While Mandatory Update gave me some good chuckles, it never hit me in quite the way Easy Update has. Not every episode is a winner for me but that's okay, it's so diverse, not every episode can be. As for it being directionless, that just rings as a false statement. It's true most episodes don't tie together (except for those Torture Chambers) but that's true of most shows - I wouldn't criticize Huber for speaking about a random topic each week on Huber Syndrome. I can easily say that Easy Update is my favorite show, if we're not counting the podcasts. Whether it's teaching Huber editing theory, creating the Allies in the world of The Sims, working on a script for a reindeer anime with the rest of the crew, or just showing off a beautiful Hawaiian island, I'm usually impressed with the creativity found inside. All I can hope is that Ian continues to do what he does best - work without restriction and try out ideas he has.

• @sabotagethetruth said in Man, I want a comedy news show like Mandatory Update.:

It's funny, you get told you're narrow-minded when you're looking at the actual number of views per show and extrapolating data from that.

It's funny because he clearly didn't look at the numbers and compare them. Also going into something with statistics to prove something instead of looking at it from an unbiased position is also a mistake many people make.
    You also clearly don't know why I used the word "narrow-minded" either, but I know enough about you to not expect that. But enough about this.

As for Easy Update, it lacks direction and vision. Pretty clear Ian didn't really know what to make of his new show and that Elyse was the captain of the ship that was Mandatory Update. That's the big seperator between someone like Kyle and Ian. Kyle's content (from streams to shows) clearly has more thought put into them while Ian's feels like something some art student scrambles together to meet a deadline by the end of the week.
    Easy Update is basically nothing at this point and it's a detriment. If he put some restrictions on it and put more thought into each episode they could be much better. Or Ian could focus more on Fiasconauts and the movie podcast.
    Point is Mandatory Update was something while Easy Update is nothing. It could be something much more yet Ian just keeps trucking along doing "whatever".

• @suplextrain You admit to not having watched the show in over a year. I would say that speaks volumes. It doesn't discredit your opinion, you're allowed to dislike whatever you want, but as far as being able to judge it fairly? I certainly view that as a hindrance.

• Just throwing my 5 cents here, I seldom care for Easy Update at the moment, sometimes it produces some pretty good content but a lot of the times it is just not interesting stuff in my mind, Mandatory Update was miles better in my eyes.

As to its popularity, I think it is enjoyed a lot by a subset of people that like or at least tolerate Ian, and lets not kid ourselves Ian has a significant number of detractors, and not counting myself among those I have to admit there are more than a few times were I find him annoying to put it plainly.

Now does that mean he shouldn't make it should change the format, well no he's free to do as he pleases and there's an audience for it, but the lack of direction on the show is a criticism I've seen frequently to the Allies in different spheres that is hard to debate and which is perfectly understandable from my perspective, and those are people that have decided to vote with their wallets and stop supporting the allies, and it is ultimately up to the Allies if they want to take action based on that or continue how they are, myself I'm happy with getting the podcasts, reviews, impressions and the ocassional random thing.

It's funny because he clearly didn't look at the numbers and compare them. Also going into something with statistics to prove something instead of looking at it from an unbiased position is also a mistake many people make.

Except that I did look at the numbers. On every patron funded show easy allies produces, going back 10+ weeks. And you actually are the person who brought up statistics when you erroneously stated that it gets "amongst the least views out of their more recent shows", not me. I'm just correcting your inaccurate data.

Also, I'm not responding to your OPINIONS on the show or Ian, because I don't actually care what you think. You're welcome to not like whomever you want. I'm just making sure everyone else knows that the opinions you state like they are facts are not actually backed up by data.

You'll also note that during this entire exchange, you've been exceedingly rude to me. For someone who "doesn't care if I disagree" (and I do) you react like someone taking it very personally.

• Global Moderator

Mod Note - @suplextrain Stop being aggressive towards other posters. If you don't agree with the information or opinion they've given, either move on or say why you disagree with it. Calling someone " narrow-minded white knighting" is not going to help you so stop saying things like that about posters.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.