The Official EZA Monster Hunter Community Thread!

• @Haru17 It'll be interesting to see how they handle movesets coming out of Generations and into future installments. I pretty much only played Guild style (I'm an old man stuck in his comfortable ways), but it seems they were largely successful in making a more diverse and dynamic play experience. Maybe customizable combos could change things up.

• @Billy I think all hunters are going to have some aerial capabilities more than 4, but not necessarily like Cross at the least. I hope they reinterpret the whole mounting system to something more Shadow of the Colossus-y. Or if not that methodical, just allow aerial attacks, vaults, and running across a monster's back and attacking for a short amount of time.

• I'm gonna mess around in Generations for a bit. Maybe I'll hop around to one of the other titles. Just want to freshen up on my Monster Hunter. I'm leaving our Discord channel open, so feel free to stop by and say "hi" or to play for a bit.

EZA Monster Hunters
    https://discord.gg/xTmKxRZ

• Just a reminder to anyone interested: the beta for Monster Hunter World opens tomorrow on PS4. You can preload the demo today to save yourself some time. Two environments will be available as well as several monsters to hunt; also, you'll get a reward for the full game by playing the demo. Single-player and multiplayer options will also be available.

I'm not sure how much I'll get to play, but definitely send me a message here, on PSN, or on the EZA Monster Hunter Discord if you'd like to hunt. I'd especially love to hunt with you if you're new to the series, so don't be shy! They've changed a lot, so it'll be a learning experience for all of us.

• Jumping into the beta for sure, I'm pretty undecided on the game, so I wanna see what I think after playing it tomorrow

• @bard91 I really hope that World makes a good first impression and is approachable as an entry point. I'm thankful that I stuck it out and discovered one of my favorite franchises, but I understand why lots of folks bailed out early in those earlier titles.

I don't know how familiar you are with the weapons, but some are way more technical than others. A good starter would be longsword or dual blades. Regardless, let me know if you're up for some multiplayer.

• Also, there's like a 95% chance of a trailer for the presumptive 5th generation volcano map dropping at PSX tonight. So, there's that.

• I'm only asking this because I'm on media blackout and I'm afraid I'll see something that I don't want to see, but what is the reward for playing the beta? If it's something like potions and such, I think I'll pass.

Weekly hunts! :D

• @MarceloLaborda Completing any of the quests will give you an exclusive camo face paint pattern. The two after that give generic item packs.

• @Haru17 Thanks! Looks like I'm gonna have to give it a try then.

• Global Moderator

As this being my first real interaction with Monster Hunter I found it all kinda... overwhelming! I mean the world and the monsters was awesome and I had great fun killing things. I just didnt know what half the stuff did or why I needed to play a certain ways. with weapons I just attacked with R2 sometimes and tried to use traps inbetween. Anyone got guides or something I can read to get a better understanding?

• @Lotias Pick a weapon you're interested in and watch Gaijinhunter's tutorial for Cross/Generation or Arekkz's weapon preview for World for that weapon. The base combos are the same for the whole series, so it either would work.

They both have general Monster Hunter beginner guides videos as well. Here's one Polygon did.

You should probably also go to the training ground from the main menu of the beta and try pressing all the buttons. For the beta the immediate next possible combo steps are displayed in the upper right of the screen (it can also be turned off in the options).

Finally, the hunters notes under the info tab of the pause menu has an explanation of each weapon's unique mechanics and suggested combo.

Oh, and items wise potions and uaing a whetstone whenever your sharpness gague gets to yellow are most important. Yellow means less damage, so think of it like an upkeep cost.

• @Lotias I found it somewhat overwhelming as well, the training area did help me by testing a few different weapons, after I found the insect lance and noticed I could do pole vaults all around, then I just stuck to it.

I found it fun for sure but I'm thinking it won't be something I would like to keep coming back to, I'll play around with it a bit more but this may be enough for me to test the waters and be satisfied with it.

• So, a bunch of personal thoughts after the couple of hours I got to spend in it:

There is a ton of info on the screen, and they give you access to tons of items and equipment. I know it's so that people can try out different things, but in all honesty, it's mostly superfluous. You'd be fine with just some Mega Potions and a Whetstone for this demo. I disabled the button prompts in the upper-right corner to clear out some screen clutter, and I muted the npc voices. They're real chatty, and I could only take so much "follow the scoutflies." I know to follow them; I just want to explore. In the actual game, I'll leave it on. Game Informer said the tutorial-type dialogue slows down before long. My hands kept defaulting to Dark Souls controls due to the PS4 controller. Something that helped my fumbling was switching items to be toggled with the D-Pad rather than the face buttons.

I applaud the level of customization they allow. Helps me suit my personal preferences. As for the game itself, it's phenomenal! I am in love with the environments and atmosphere. I'm thankful that the core controls and concepts haven't changed much; my Hammer feels as natural as always. The monsters are awe-inspiring, and provide plenty of thrills while taking them down. I found myself looting a lot at the onset, but I remembered that those are primarily crafting supplies, and it kinda just adds to the clutter in the demo. In the actual game, you choose what items to bring with you; it won't be nearly as overwhelming. They're just providing players with everything in case they wish to use it. Also, I understand the 20-minute time limit, since it's a demo, but I'm looking forward to the much less restrictive final release. It'll allow me time to explore and soak up the world. I'm usually so familiar with the maps of these games, so it'll take a bit to learn these. However, I have every confidence that I'll grow to love them all.

I'm working tomorrow, but hopefully I'll get in some more time on Monday. I want to play around with the other weapon types more. I'm just extremely happy that all the things I have enjoyed in past entries (minus water combat) are present here, with smart evolutions and a much larger scope.

• @Billy Yeah, it is pretty great how Monster Hunter (with the exception of underwater and styles) never really takes anything out. Even the jungle gym areas from 4 are represented.

I actually did find the one thing that was removed though. Y'know that trick in 4 where you could dodge into a climbable wall with your weapon out, press A, and instantly sheathe and cling to the base of the wall? Maybe animation was the reason for removing it 'cause Capcom clearly paid a ton of attention to making sure weapons were animating continuously and not resetting or jumping to different positions (granted that's most MH games). Sheathing's also a bit faster now.

I really love all of the new functional and destructible elements in the environment. That more than anything else is the aspect this Monster Hunter has leapfrogged the series in. Previous games had really flat, empty — admittedly pretty — levels (except Tri because underwater was completely 3D), and now World has more functional environments than most games today. I even found a little area in the Wildspire Waste with oil spots that you can set alight and burn monsters (and hunters!) with.

And just in case anyone's curious this was the show floor demo, the difficulty for which was confirmed to have been eased because 50 minute hunts makes for a long line. The actual full release versions of these monsters will be harder hitting, longer-lived, and more aggressive.

• @Haru17 I kept rolling into a climable wall over and over like a big dummy with my hammer out wondering why I wasn't grabbing hold. Barroth finally knocked me away, and I remembered this is a different game. Oh, and I disabled auto-sheathe rather quickly, as it was driving me insane.

And yes, these maps are dense with interactions. Like those friggin' paratoads....

• Global Moderator

@Haru17 Awesome! yeah I will need to read up on some of this stuff! I guess in the full game as well it will hold your hand a little more. The beta kinda threw you in there and gave you the tools to play with, but didnt say much about how to play with them. also thinking about putting some time into the training ground as you mention

• @Lotias This is supposed to be the most accessible entry, but even the older ones ease you in and introduce mechanics much more slowly. These demos always feel like this; you're thrown into a zone with a full loadout and tasked with a large monster hunt. You generally have to work your way up to that point in the full game. I'm not sure there's a better way to do it for demo purposes, considering the level of depth in the full games. Regardless, I'm glad you're having a good time!

• The time limit in this demo is rather short, and it can feel overwhelming with all of the new environmental variables. Especially in multiplayer.

Lance, long sword, and dual blades are good starter weapons to try FYI. I used to actually hate how slow lance was, but I'm way into it now that it's been sped up and made a little more fluid.

@Billy Are you gonna try & hunt on Ben's stream later?

• @Haru17 I had no clue he was doing one. If it's today, I'm on a 24-hour shift. Also, it would probably be next to impossible to get in; a lot of people own PS4s...