The Official EZA Monster Hunter Community Thread!

• @Haru17 I kept rolling into a climable wall over and over like a big dummy with my hammer out wondering why I wasn't grabbing hold. Barroth finally knocked me away, and I remembered this is a different game. Oh, and I disabled auto-sheathe rather quickly, as it was driving me insane.

And yes, these maps are dense with interactions. Like those friggin' paratoads....

• Global Moderator

@Haru17 Awesome! yeah I will need to read up on some of this stuff! I guess in the full game as well it will hold your hand a little more. The beta kinda threw you in there and gave you the tools to play with, but didnt say much about how to play with them. also thinking about putting some time into the training ground as you mention

• @Lotias This is supposed to be the most accessible entry, but even the older ones ease you in and introduce mechanics much more slowly. These demos always feel like this; you're thrown into a zone with a full loadout and tasked with a large monster hunt. You generally have to work your way up to that point in the full game. I'm not sure there's a better way to do it for demo purposes, considering the level of depth in the full games. Regardless, I'm glad you're having a good time!

• The time limit in this demo is rather short, and it can feel overwhelming with all of the new environmental variables. Especially in multiplayer.

Lance, long sword, and dual blades are good starter weapons to try FYI. I used to actually hate how slow lance was, but I'm way into it now that it's been sped up and made a little more fluid.

@Billy Are you gonna try & hunt on Ben's stream later?

• @Haru17 I had no clue he was doing one. If it's today, I'm on a 24-hour shift. Also, it would probably be next to impossible to get in; a lot of people own PS4s...

• @Billy Haha, it might be! I'm betting on Monster Hunter still having the appeal of Monster Hunter, HD or no HD. And yeah, the stream is at 10 am PST this morning, Ben just never put it in the Twitch schedule (it's on the website schedule only).

• First time I've devoted any sort of time to a Monster Hunter (played a bit of the WiiU one) and it's been going OK. Killed all three hunts solo with a lance but I felt so slow. I've been trying out the long sword and the sword & board in multiplayer with more success. I still keep getting lost in the controls though. Looking forward to the full release!

• I have mixed thoughts about the change of pacing they've given to the game with more fluid and faster animations. The mechanics are really well polished, even in this beta, but I feel like it does take some of the tension out and I don't quite have that fear of god with the monsters that I felt when I first started playing the other MH games. It's like I know I'll be able to get away and won't be killed with how much more stamina/speed they give you.

On from that, I feel like the game in general holds your hand a little too much. I was hoping that tracking a monster would be a bit harder than it is, because all you pretty much have to do is press a button and continuously follow the waypoint. It's not very immersive, and just not really fun. I was expecting that you'd have to track the foot prints by your own sight, but on the plus it makes replaying the same mission over and over again more bearable, since the monster's location seem a bit more randomized this time around.

Another thing, is that the game maps really don't seem big enough to warrant fast-travel, let alone 4 or 5 points per map, and unfortunately the game expects you to use it. Overall, I'm sure that the final product will be a lot harder and more rewarding than the beta, as they've already said they've dumbed down the monster stats for the sake of beginners. That's not to say any these features that concern me will be nixed, though, as I'm sure they appeal to most gamers new to the series.

If it sounds like I hate the game, I really don't. It's a good next-gen adaption for the series, with very well-polished mechanics that ultimately changes far more things beneficial to skilled players than it bends them for the casual players. At least that's how I feel right now, so maybe I should wait for what the full game turns out to be.

• The demo was kinda cool... all I thought while playing was, this is what the next dragons dogma is going to look like, which is good. Can someone explain to me the concept of this game? Will all I do is track and kill monsters? I honestly felt overwhelmed with all the options right off the start, and was trying to figure out the point of the game. Found monster killed it, didn't have to even try. Felt bad for chasing him to his lair where he looked like he just wanted to sleep. I feel like I'm just going to feel bad killing everything lol.

• @CGamor7 said in The Official EZA Monster Hunter Community Thread!:

Can someone explain to me the concept of this game? Will all I do is track and kill monsters?

You'll be spending the majority of your time tracking and hunting monsters, but there are other types of quests. Some will require you to capture (not kill) one or more monsters, others to gather resources (which includes mining, fishing, and hunting or capturing smaller creatures) and even steal items from bigger monsters (whelps, eggs, or something valuable they're protecting).

And it's all about crafting better weapons and equipment so you can take on bigger and stronger monsters, and combining materials to make better or more useful items. This was removed from the beta, and it's one of the best parts of the game!

You also have access to a farm. Earlier entries in the series let the player do most of the grunt work and even upgrade certain gathering spots with gameplay elements similar to farm simulation games, although in recent years, it's been stripped down to basically nothing, a mini-game or a list of options given by an NPC, so I wouldn't expect too much.

@CGamor7 said in The Official EZA Monster Hunter Community Thread!:

I honestly felt overwhelmed with all the options right off the start

I've been a MH player since the PS2 and PSP days, and the beta was overwhelming even for me! This is because they give you a ton of items so you can try them out, but you normally start with literally nothing and get most of those items when you're somewhat far into the game. In reality, you would only bring the items that are absolutely necessary for a quest and leave a lot of space in your inventory.

• @CGamor7 It's an emergent action game: you play through the story, then play online to see the different ways a hunt can go, learn new weapon types, and chase after and try out new gear. The demo is tuned for newcomers like yourself, the real game will have these creatures more aggressive and stronger.

• @MarceloLaborda @Haru17

Thanks, its definitely an interesting looking game. Will have to keep my eyes on it.

• If anyone would like to add me to group up send a friend request on PSN!

mr_showtime40

• There is a limited number of monsters in the beta of course so what kind of variety can someone expect from the full game? The only hunting game I really played is Soul Sacrifice Delta and it's monster design is quite different due to it's magical fantasy nature.
    I would like to try the second beta out first but I think there is a decent chance I will dive in.

• @DeimosClay tl;dr: The leak says 27 unique monsters + several alternate versions, series history says to expect around 30, and there will be free DLC monsters.

Monster Hunter 4's year-later Ultimate edition (the version released in the west) had something crazy like 40 unique monsters and the Generations series, which was like a series compilation title, got up to 70 uniques, which isn't counting all the "Pink Rathian, Furious Rajang" variant type stuff.

They reached those figures because they were slightly updating and rereleasing monsters with PS2-era hit boxes and animations, and there was a very noticeable difference between the old and the new. With World, even the old monsters like Barroth and Rathalos are completely revamped, and the majority are completely new monsters.

The last game to do that was Tri, which had 18 monsters, all of them either new or remade, and was developed on a much shorter timeframe than World purportedly has been done with. Every creature in World is newly animated, even the returning ones, so it's much the same situation as with Tri. 4's count of 35 unique monsters isn't unreachable, so something in the neighborhood of that or a little lower would seem apt.

From the beta the fights are significantly more emergent than before thanks to the interact-able environments, and Monster Hunter has had the most dynamic and replayable boss fights of any game since way before World, so I think it'll prove a very meaty game. Like, 500 hours is common from a MH game.