I beat Dark Souls 1 for the first time last night

• And I hated it.

Okay, that's a lie, I didn't hate it. If I did, I wouldn't have beaten the game and all the optional areas. But it did disappoint me. I first played DS1 a little after it first came out but stopped a little after the Gaping Dragon fight. I didn't say "I QUIT" or anything, I just stopped wanting to play until eventually I was playing other games and didn't feel like going back. I ignored the Souls series after that until all the hype around DS3 made me feel like trying it again. I absolutely loved the game and am in the middle of journey 4. I decided to go back and beat DS1 since I never did before and man was it aggravating. DS1 has a lot of things DS3 doesn't, and for most of them I am really glad they're gone. DS1 just felt so much slower and awkward to control comparatively and full of a lot more challenges that were annoying more than interesting. Even when I did a UGS run of DS3 I never felt as hampered as I did at times with my DS1 DEX build.

So much more clumsy platforming and fighting on narrow walkways! Getting up off the ground takes an eternity! I ended up save scumming outside the entrance to a few bosses because the long walks to them felt like such a waste of my time.

Ultimately, I think playing through DS3 first then going back was what spoiled the experience for me. I remember when I was first playing the game I was having a jolly old time with my shield + claymore, but playing through DS1 now just made me miss my Ubadachi and Onikiri.

So now that the rant's over, I'm curious as to what other people's opinions are: what's your favorite Souls game? How does DS1 compare to DS2 compare to DS3? Has anyone else gone back and been soured on the old games? Anyone else play the later games, go back, and prefer the older ones? I refuse to believe I'm the only one with this opinion.

P.S. Bloodborne seems like a game I'd enjoy a lot as well but I don't have a PS4 and I don't feel like buying one.

• In my opinion Dark Souls 3, while absolutely the easiest in the franchise, is the best one. Sure Dark Souls 1 has some very iconic things and while I wish DS3 had more enemy variety and at least one interesting large dragon boss it really does some great things with its environments and themes. The swamp became one of my favourite levels in gaming very quickly, and the other areas were well designed and different enough for it to not get boring. Wolnir, Dancer and Pontiff are up there in my Top 10 bosses because they're so memorable.

Pre-DLC I'm disappointed in the ending and don't feel that it's a fitting end for the trilogy, although seeing that everything before it was marvellous, it's the closest the franchise has come to flawless. It's one of my favorite games, something I put several days into and just enjoyed throughout.

The fact that the movement and combat is so tight makes it super hard for me to return to the previous games. They don't stack up.

• If I read this a month ago I would have disagreed. I have always said dark souls 1 is my favourite souls game. But after my brother watched me play some DS3 he decided to go back and try DS1. I was so excited to create a new character and play through it with him. But after playing through DS3 it is so hard to go back. It just feels so much more clunky. I used to love that but it has been frustrating me this play through. Now he is too far ahead of me and I've went back to finish my DS3 platnum. I still think the world of DS1 is the best. They way it interconnects is amazing. But I prefer the gameplay of Dark souls three so much more now that I've realised it is my new favourite. Well done for going back and pushing through to the end though!

• I've only beaten DS3 and I LOVED it. A masterpiece of a game. I didn't go back to the older games because I didn't heard great things about DS2 and I didn't want to play DS1 because of the same reason you have experienced. I'm afraid that if I would go back after DS3, that is my GOTY so far, I would not experience DS1 the same way as I would if played back then. I completely understand your view on this.
    That's why I don't want to play old games in preparation of a sequel. Especially if the games came out many years ago. Games for me have an expiration date, and while DS1 might not have past it yet, it's not getting any more modern.
    I don't really have similar cases like yours, but when I tried to play the Witcher 3, I couldn't get far because I got a feeling that there is so much lore in this world that I should've experienced in prequels. But for the reasons mentioned above I never went to play the prequels, so this franchise is probably lost to me.

• @Nillend Duddddddddddddde. Go back and totally play DS1 and DS2. They are to me have a better open world games than DS3 especially DS1. If you are playing on PC then there are tons of mods to alter the appearance of the game and support your gameplay experience and enhance it. Every Souls game is amazing that's what a true soul fan should say and must play. I being a hardcore souls fan still rank Demons souls/Dark Souls above the sequels due to better level design, world, atmosphere and characters.

• Global Moderator

I imagine you're right, that DS1 is a lot more difficult to go back to now but from a purely nostalgic point of view, it is still my favourite of the Dark Souls series. It just had that aura of being very unique and that's difficult to retain with each sequel.

That said, of all the games, Bloodborne is my favourite. I've completed it several times, I've helped out others. I just love going back to it. The art, the soundtrack and sound design, the quicker pace to combat, incentive attacking... all these things just add to make it a wonderful experience. The DLC is fantastic too.

Overall, I think the whole souls series (including Demon & Bloodborne) is excellent. Dark Souls 2 is merely good in comparison to the other which are all fantastic games in my opinion.

• Personally I love Demon's Souls the best, but playing Dark Souls 3 on PC at 60fps makes going back to the other games pretty tough. I went back to go through DS1 again after beating DS3 and it was like walking in chest high mud. It took awhile before it started to feel normal again. I enjoy PC gaming but I never gave the 30 vs 60 fps thing much of a thought until now.

What I'm hoping for is Souls Game Collection remastered @ 60fps and high res textures :heart:

• I've been playing DS1 after my first souls game which was Bloodborne (I'd played Demon Souls before but only a few hours) despite its age I've really liked DS1... however at around 32 hours in I've got to Ornstein & Smough... I'm now 40 hours in and have no humanity and no hope of beating this awful boss.

Completely stuck.

• @sam Try staying behind the pillars and use dex weapons enchanted with crystal magic weapon assuming you went through a dex/int build.

• I beat dark souls 1 on Sunday. Honestly some of my favorite lore in any game. Artorias is the coolest! I even started using the artorias greatsword instead of my other greatsword just because.
    The world was really cool and everything, but I felt really annoyed when I was getting near the end and only had tomb of the giants and bed of chaos fight left, and I thought both were lame. At least the final boss fight was probably my favorite in the game. With that song, oh so good!

• @sam honestly I thought that fight was fun, once you figure out smough's moves and when you can actually get attacks in it won't be as bad

• @Gladam Basically I was constantly telling myself while playing DS1 "if only I could explore this world with the controls of DS3". My main frustrations with DS1 were in the comparative clunkiness of movement (and some gripes with the level design, mainly with the abundance of psuedo-platforming, not exactly the game's strong suit) but of course the world, monsters, characters, and bosses were all top notch.

• @Bumblebee_Ness God Bed of Chaos. Just thinking about that fight gives me conniptions. I recognized what I had to do pretty quickly (jump into the pit, land on the walkable branch) but I must have missed that jump like 7 or 8 times, not even exaggerating. Goes back to what I was saying about the platforming being awkward plus "hold B to run, press B while running to jump" is way worse than how DS3 does it (and how I think DS2 does it as well).

Artorias was definitely my favorite boss fight. He took the most tries for me to beat by far, but I also felt like he was really fair and interesting. I really had to learn his patterns, dodge, and counterattack while most other bosses I got away with circle strafing them up close with my shield up. So many of the later bosses didn't feel like much of a challenge but this guy wrecked me in the best way possible.

My favorite bosses overall were Artorias, Priscilla (not hard, but very interesting fight), O & S (didn't find them as difficult as they're hyped to be, but definitely tough), Gwyn, and Sif.

The Demons, Kalameet, Ceaseless Discharge, Four Kings, Seath, Nito, Iron Golem, and Manus I just circle strafed to death.

• @OddMan11 I couldn't bring myself to kill Priscilla, something about her being an abomination hiding away and not even trying to kill me, couldn't do it.