Settle It: The Last of Us?

• @Easy-Allies I just recently finished playing through The Last of Us for the first time and it was incredible! (be proud Huber) And I just wanted to remind Huber and Ian about doing a Settle It: Last of Us edition. The game is tremendously well done and It'd be pretty cool to see Ian vocalize his opinion about it whilst playing the game.

• That would be good. I think The Last of Us is a fine game, but pretty overrated. It's got an engaging story with great voice acting performances. The pacing is good. The environments are great. It does a lot of things very well. Great set piece environments and atmosphere.

On the other hand, those times when you're stealthing around and your NPC is literally running into enemies but simply goes unnoticed really takes you out of the experience. The AI in general can be inconsistent and frustrating. I subtract points for overuse of a false sense of "immersion". Tapping whatever button because the door is oh so heavy. And I can only watch Joel hoist Ellie up to higher ground so she can drop a ladder before it gets irritating. Naughty Dog does this a lot. Don't get me wrong, this seems to be a modern day gaming mechanic that other games use. I don't see that as rewarding gameplay and consider it lazy design. Their story pacing is good but the game design is predictable as Ian stated before. Walk into an empty room full of waste high furniture and you just know what's coming. Traverse > conflict > traverse > conflict > repeat.

These are small nitpicky things about the game. I do enjoy it. But I do get tired of people claiming it's one of the best games of all time that must be played by everyone.

• I like The Last of Us, I think that it is a well made game, and unlike the Uncharted games I've played, I think it does provide some interesting characters and situations.

That said I can completely understand why some people have issues with it, and I wouldn't debate against most points against the game, since I do think it has some clear flaws.

• I'm not sure it would be as interesting as the other Settle It games they've talked about. I mean Ian made his complaints pretty clear in the GT video and I don't think he will be convinced.

@matt said in Settle It: The Last of Us?:

I subtract points for overuse of a false sense of "immersion". Tapping whatever button because the door is oh so heavy. And I can only watch Joel hoist Ellie up to higher ground so she can drop a ladder before it gets irritating. Naughty Dog does this a lot. Don't get me wrong, this seems to be a modern day gaming mechanic that other games use. I don't see that as rewarding gameplay and consider it lazy design.

This is a way to section off the game, to hide loading screens and shrink the play area. It gets old yes but that's how they can make their games look so good while also not having any loading screens stop you constantly.
    My problem isn't that they do this, but how they do it. They resort to the overdone "boost ups", opening gates that close after you, etc. too much instead of trying to come up with alternate ways to section off the game.

Their story pacing is good but the game design is predictable as Ian stated before. Walk into an empty room full of waste high furniture and you just know what's coming. Traverse > conflict > traverse > conflict > repeat.

This is because it's a "safe" way to create good pacing and keeping the game varied. This is why AAA games often come across as formulaic.
    Hopefully ND next game can take more risks and make more progress in terms of game design. I feel that U4 did take several steps in the right direction so I'm positive.

These are small nitpicky things about the game. I do enjoy it. But I do get tired of people claiming it's one of the best games of all time that must be played by everyone.

Well it is one of the greats, undeniably. I say this as someone that isn't raving mad about the game.
    I personally don't view it as a timeless classic, but more of a benchmark for other games to aim towards and surpass.

• @suplextrain said in Settle It: The Last of Us?:

This is a way to section off the game, to hide loading screens and shrink the play area. It gets old yes but that's how they can make their games look so good while also not having any loading screens stop you constantly.

That's a good point that I hadn't considered. Ok, now that I understand it's purpose, I still feel like they could vary it up a lot more to make it less obvious as you stated. Does this apply to the simple QTEs as well?

• @matt said in Settle It: The Last of Us?:

@suplextrain said in Settle It: The Last of Us?:

That's a good point that I hadn't considered. Ok, now that I understand it's purpose, I still feel like they could vary it up a lot more to make it less obvious as you stated. Does this apply to the simple QTEs as well?

Do you mean cutscenes? Because it's common to use cutscenes as a way to hide loading screens as well.

• @matt It's true that it can be easier to notice patterns in games, especially games like Last of Us. You walk into an old, broken home - you're probably fighting infected. You find an abandoned parking lot with waist high barricades - you're probably shooting some dudes. You see a high ledge - you're probably gonna give Ellie a boost. I happen to like doing those things, but more importantly, I think Naughty Dog is trying to communicate a certain ascetic to further their characters, emotions and connections. So I can overlook the overuse of some mechanics because it's for the greater good; storytelling.

I will say though, the NPC's can be super dumb. And that really takes me right out the moment.

• As someone who has already raved about the Last of Us in the Top 100 Community List (I put it #3 overall) and it placed #2 overall, so I won't do so here. My only addition to this thread is 2-fold:

1.) While I like the idea of a Settle It Stream for this game, I don't think it would work with Ian ONLY because I agree he was EXTREMELY clear about his dislike with several reasons. If there is another Ally who doesn't like the game maybe. Otherwise, I don't see it as viable

2.) Yes, the A.I. immersion breaking is a con, but it's the game's ONLY con (In my opinion), and to be honest, it doesn't bug me. I AM surprised how wide-spread the dislike for it is. But that's fine. I love this game, and I will defend it (not that it needs defending).

• The Last of Us is overrated to people who don't appreciate character drama.

• In my opinion The Last of Us has some of the best character development/storytelling I've ever seen in a game. It feels personal on a level that I don't think many games can reach.

I'd also like to mention the feel of the weapons in the game. Guns feel weighty and powerful, they're loud and deal damage to enemies in a way that feels more realistic than a lot of games. Joel isn't a special operator, he's a tired old guy and the sway when you aim a pistol reflects that. Melee weapons also feel heavy and I think the violence feels a lot more immediate and intense because of it (kind of like a Coen brothers film imo).

Just a couple points, 10/10 game for me and I hope we get a good sequel down the line!

• i got the last of us with my ps4, while i loved the game and the story i just dont feel its a all time great.

• I feel like filmic naturalism usually isn't a great choice for a video game. That said, The Last of Us does it pretty convincingly.

I liked the multiplayer better than the campaign though---and this is coming from someone who almost exclusively players single player games. It follows through on survival/situational-based combat better than the shaky AI in the story. Being able to see through walls is terrible though; I swear I spent most of my time in multiplayer staying invisible.

• I talked about The Last of Us a few months ago. This is what I said then and I stand by it:

"I loved the story/writing/acting, but I was kind of annoyed with the game design. I thought they telegraphed the combat situations way too much, and that in general they were a little too frequent. I think the game would've been better (and much ballsier) if they refrained from throwing in so many combat encounters, and instead focused more on just walking around and exploring/interacting with the world (my favorite parts of the game), punctuated occasionally by the brutal violence. Think about how insane entire last act of the game would be if you had only fought humans a few times, or when you came across the infected they were rarely in groups larger than 3 or 4. That swarm near the end would've been bonkers, and the winter section would stand out for being even more crushingly brutal than it already is. I think those kinds of moments would stand out much more, while allowing the more character/world driven interactions more space to breathe. I don't blame ND for going the route that they did, nor do I even dislike the game for the way that it plays, but I do feel like it was a missed opportunity to do something incredible and unprecedented."

Reading this thread, I would also echo the sentiments that the character work is superb, but I think that goes along with great writing and acting. It's also superb world building, which is a big thing for me in games. Again, it's not that I didn't like the game, it's just that I think it could've been better.

• Global Moderator

@naltmank I agree with this statement a lot. The game sometimes forces down the combat in someones throat a little too much. "the player will get bored" not really. The game has beautiful posts apocalyptic world, so let us interact with it! I know that it might ruin the pacing a bit and make the "downtimes" less special, but on the other hand having many "obvious" environments with encounters that may be needed to be redone a couple of times isn't much better! So the only thing that brought down the game in my eyes were the combat and telegraphing of the situations. Other than that I haven't played many games that gave me an emotional rollercoaster like this.

• @Lotias Exactly!

And yeah, this is one of the few games where I literally couldn't play for more than about an hour/hour and a half at a time (during certain sections) because the act of playing made me so emotionally drained. That's something I think is pretty incredible.

• @suplextrain I'm referring to heavy doors/beams/carts that need moving and you need to repeatedly tap triangle or something to feel like you're really struggling to move or open this thing. Many other games do it as well (i.e. Uncharted/doors, Batman/vents, etc.). I guess I could see that as a loading event. It's a little cinematic with minor player involvement. I guess that's the price for seamless set piece environments. I wonder how Rockstar was able to pull it off so well in GTA V. Seamless transitions into and outside of buildings. Seamless transitions into mission start cut scenes. You would think they find some way to make it work given that Uncharted and TLOU are much more linear so the path of the player is very predictable.

I've just always been annoyed with needless button mashing. For me, the one that's affected me the most was God of War. Every chest you have to repeatedly mash a button to open it. Not immersive, it's tedious and boring.

@josholmo Yeah, I'm totally with you in regards to character development. These are characters I care about and I'm interested in seeing how their story plays out.

I guess, to best summarize my impression of TLOU is good story, great characters, great environment/atmosphere, fantastic presentation, ok game.

@naltmank well said!

• This post is deleted!

• Banned

@Kaminski

A lot of game reviewers don't even finish most of the games they review.

So it's possible to play most everything.

• This post is deleted!