The Game Awards Nominees

• Global Moderator

We got ourselves the nominees for the game awards today

Full List of Nomintations

The action category is absolutely ridiculous to me.

And the other thing is it's really odd to see all the categories having five nominations bar two (best performance and best multiplayer) have six nominations.... why isn't it consistent?

• Global Moderator

Something else I noticed. It's a real disservice to musicians/composers and sound technicians that best music/sound design is only one category and from the looks of it is based purely on sound design.

Those categories should absolutely be split up. The likes of Abzu, NMS & Uncharted (for me, I've seen disagreement on this) have fantastic soundtracks that deserve a mention.

• It's also really surprising to me that Dark Souls 3 is not nominated for Game of the Year.

• I have played like 3 games and own 1 more from all that crap, lol, yet I purchased over 20 2016 releases.
    Also Handheld and Cellphone needs to be seperated.

• I haven't played a ton of these games, but there is an industry bias as usual. It's nice to see some independent stuff get honored in the broader categories though.

Some thoughts:

-The combination of sound design and composition/ost is really, really dumb. Those are different departments, and video game music has a pretty long tradition and one of the most celebrated things about the medium.
    -Not doing this in January or February is stupid---especially with a few very big titles dropping in late November/December.
    -Titanfall 2 getting a GOTY nomination is a big surprise.
    -Action game is a stupid category. It's too vague, and all the nominees are shooters anyways. Just name it that.
    -Related: genre categories in general I don't care for much, I'd much rather they double down on craft and increase the number of nominees.
    -No category for technical breakthrough is disappointing.
    -Street Fighter V being nominated for best Esport is a bold choice. I suppose it's the most famous fighter about right now, but it's super divisive, and its meta is still in pretty heavy flux.
    -Hungrybox being nominated is good for the game. I have a feeling the "who's the very best?" culture of competitive Melee will have a lot to say about his nomination over Armada.

I see that a lot of this is structured in a way to honor the games themselves over the people that made them.

• You mean The Firewatch game awards? God damn for a game that i hear no one liking that sure as hell got alot of nominations!

Overwatch GOTY easy.

• I agree with above: why not let the year run its full course and then hold this event in early February, for instance? Feels stupid.

• @Stephleref I like Firewatch, but I agree there might have been better options for narrative and best indipendent game (like Superhot). But it's certainly a good nominee for best art direction.

• Best Art Direction

Good category idea but there are some pretty great games that have been missed in my opinion.

• The Witness - Incredible world design makes this game so much more than just a series of line puzzles
    • Hyper Light Drifter
    • Oxenfree
    • Dark Souls III

My choice for winner would be The Witness, but is Firewatch.

Best Mobile or Handheld Game

I'm actually alright with combining mobile and handheld, though I'd also have no objections with them separating the two. They definitely missed a couple notable games though.

• Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma
    • Pokémon Sun & Moon - Although not out yet, is out before the November 24th cutoff

My choice for winner would probably would be Pokémon Sun & Moon, and probably should be Severed, though I haven't played it yet.

Best Narrative

This is a good thing to focus on, but it's such a difficult category because of the wide variety in how games tell stories. I think a couple more may have deserved a nod.

• Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - The environmental storytelling in this game is an incredible example of how story doesn't have to be told through dialogue
    • Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma

I haven't played Uncharted 4 yet, but I have a feeling that will win it for me. At the moment Oxenfree takes it.

Best e-Sports Game

Weird category considering they're not all 2016 new games. I guess I can get behind evaluating how well a game has been supported since its release. Overwatch takes it for me.

Best Independent Game

Solid list. The Witness takes it for me.

Best Performance

Really happy to see this category because VAs definitely deserve some recognition.

Best Music and Sound Design

I absolutely agree with @tokeeffe9's opinion that these should be separate categories. Shout out to Hyper Light Drifter's OST, Civilization VI's OST, and the Witness' sound design. Also, sound design - even more so than art direction - is what made me enjoy ABZÛ as much as I did.

Best Studio/Game Direction

I don't understand the point of this award. Especially when they aren't even nominating devs who have particularly pushed the envelope with their games. I just don't understand what this is awarding the devs for. I'd rather see a Most Innovative Game Design award in the future.

Game of the Year

My personal game of the year has got to be The Witness. I'm putting my money on Uncharted 4 for GOTY at The Game Awards.

• My Bets:
    GAME OF THE YEAR - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (Naughty Dog/Sony Interactive Entertainment)
    BEST GAME DIRECTION - Blizzard (for Overwatch)
    BEST NARRATIVE - Mafia III (Hangar 13/2K)
    BEST ART DIRECTION - Inside (Playdead)
    BEST MUSIC/SOUND DESIGN - Doom (id/Bethesda)
    BEST PERFORMANCE - Emily Rose as Elena, Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
    GAMES FOR IMPACT - That Dragon, Cancer (Numinous Games)
    BEST INDEPENDENT GAME - Inside (Playdead)
    BEST MOBILE/HANDHELD - Pokemon Go (Niantic)
    BEST VR GAME - Batman: Arkham VR (Rocksteady Studios/WBIE)
    BEST ACTION GAME - Battlefield 1 (DICE/EA)
    BEST ACTION/ADVENTURE GAME - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (Naughty Dog/Sony Interactive Entertainment)
    BEST RPG - Dark Souls 3 (FromSoftware/Bandai Namco Entertainment)
    BEST FIGHTING GAME - Killer Instinct Season 3 (Iron Galaxy Studios/Microsoft Studios)
    BEST STRATEGY GAME - Civilization VI (Firaxis Games/2K)
    BEST FAMILY GAME - Ratchet & Clank (Insomniac Games/Sony Interactive Entertainment)
    BEST SPORTS/RACING - Forza Horizon 3 (Playground Games/Microsoft Studios)
    BEST MULTIPLAYER - Overwatch (Blizzard)
    MOST ANTICIPATED GAME The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo)
    TRENDING GAMER - Danny O'Dwyer
    BEST FAN CREATION - Project A2MR
    BEST ESPORTS PLAYER - Coldzera – Marcelo David (SK Gaming, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive)
    BEST ESPORTS TEAM - SK Gaming
    BEST ESPORTS GAME - Overwatch (Blizzard)
    (not necessarily what I want to win, but what I think might win)

• just curious would ff15 be able to be a nominee next year? of does it get the shit end of the stcik

• @Killstriker Yeah I feel like it should be there in place of Titanfall or Inside maybe..

Disclaimer: I've played none of those games

• @FF7Cloud Well they have Xenobleh Chronocles X in it which came out december 2015, so I would say yes.

• I would vote for Inside for basically all of these.

Firewatch is laughable, it deserves nothing — least of all best narrative. Seriously, Mankind Divided gets faulted for its abrupt ending but not the character-driven game which is afraid to show you a face?

Dark Souls is still not an RPG.

I hope it's a contest between Monster Hunter and Fire Emblem for handheld. Only one of which should be called an "RPG," for the record.

Kinda torn on Uncharted 4. Amazing game, but I felt like it didn't have enough high points and totally failed at posessing the narrative subtleties of The Last of Us. Best art? Abzu is great too, for the record.

• To the point about timing I agree but for only one reason: FF XV comes out TWO DAYS before the awards and the Last Guardian FIVE days after. The winners will have been decided by then. Granted, I don't think they would win, but I'm someone of principle.

My picks and predictions (I have ZERO knowledge of E-Sports, Fan Creations, Games for Impact, and Strategy, so I can't give thoughts on something I don't know.):

Trending Gamer: Pulling for - Danny O'Dwyer; Predicting - I can't. Anyone could take it
    Anticipated Game: Pulling for - God of War, Horizon, and Mass Effect; Predicting - RDR 2 or Zelda
    Multiplayer: Pulling for - Gears 4 and Titanfall 2; Predicting - Overwatch
    Sports/Racing (Ha!): Pulling for - Don't Care; Predicting - FIFA or Forza
    Family: Pulling for - Ratchet & Clank; Predicting - Any game BUT R&C
    Fighting: Pulling for - Pokken (ONLY because of the early days stream); Predicting - SF V by a MILE
    RPG: Pulling for - FF XV (Huh? Not even nominated? Well then I don't care); Predicting - Any game could take it
    Action-Adventure: Pulling for - Uncharted 4, Ratchet & Clank, and Dishonored 2; Predicting - Uncharted 4
    Action (Shooter): Pulling for - DOOM and Gears 4; Predicting - Overwatch
    VR: Pulling for - Batman; Predicting - Any game could take it
    Mobile/Handheld (Again, HA!): Pulling for - Don't Care. AT. ALL; Prediction - Pokemon Go
    Indie Game: Pulling for - The Witness; Prediction - Any game could take it
    Performance: Pulling for - Anyone from Uncharted 4; Prediction - Any actor can take it
    Music/Sound Design: Pulling for - DOOM; Prediction - Any game could take it
    Art Direction: Pulling for - Uncharted 4; Prediction - Any game BUT Abzu
    Narrative: Pulling for - Uncharted 4; Prediction - Uncharted 4 or Inside
    Game Direction: Pulling for - All of them; Prediction - Any of them
    GOTY: Pulling for - Uncharted 4 and DOOM; Prediction - Uncharted 4, Inside, or Overwatch

And watch as all of my predictions are wrong...

• Final Fantasy Fifteen won't be out nearly in time for early-December awards.

• Sooo there no TMS#FE and SMT: A in RPG section? That's a shame :(

• @Danjin44 said in The Game Awards Nominees:

Sooo there no TMS#FE and SMT: A in RPG section? That's a shame :(

Yep, I was saying the same thing in discord. I'm thoroughly irritated about this. The Wii-U has literally 2 RPGs this year and they chose the weaker title that NOBODY was talking about post-launch.

On topic however, yeah this year more than any other the list feels so.....wrong, on a lot of levels. There's games listed that I have NEVER heard any gaming publication gush on about or mention more than once in any way that didn't feel like a paid advertisement.

Of course it shouldn't shock me that a fair bit of the list of sites/publications listed for the voting process aren't even dedicated or even remotely related to gaming, even more that to me don't even feel like reputable sources of anything gaming as their own biases or lack of skill in this profession hold back any legitimacy.

So I'm going to try my best to pay as little attention to the outcome as possible, cause it's just gonna piss me off, the whole thing just feels like a big circle-jerk of advertising to whatever big wigs happen to be in attendance that year, and I'm sure that's very unfair to say but it just really feels that way to me.

I mean Titanfall 2 certainly deserves some credit and praise, but if we were to go by people who're actually PLAYING it and how it's SELLING it's falling way short of CoD:IW, even BF1 is too. But both are on this list and CoD isn't? I can see ignoring some random indie title but no matter how much you hate CoD you can't pretend like it's still not one of the biggest games of the year EVERY year not to mention that whether they love it or hate it CoD gets more press than most games every single year. (That said TF2 is by FAR the best shooter this year, just gonna put that out there).

SFV nominated when it's one of the worst selling Street Fighter games of all time? Definitely the least popular. But Neither Guilty Gear Or Blazblue get a nom? Hell I'm shocked KoF even got mentioned.

It's like being a sports newscaster talking about a team who hasn't won a game in decades going up against the previous champions and talking them up as if they ever stood a single chance in an almost smug giggly fashion, it just utterly sickens me.

There should be some fan/audience influence on these votes, it would make the whole thing a lot less biased looking, you gotta admit they frequently mis-categorize games every year, or find ways to rationalize the same game into several categories so that it wins multiple times or it has a guaranteed chance of winning at least once.

• I've been playing a lot of older games this year, so I can't really weigh in on most of the categories, but if The Witness doesn't win Best Independent Game, I'm gonna throw a hissy fit the likes of which has never before been seen.

• Doom should win. easily best game this year. and best FPS of decade.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.