The Last of Us Part II (PS4)

• Youtube Video

Although there's always hope we'll get a brief teaser during this years PSX (alert! outrageous optimism!), I'd love to start a discussion with other EZA fans about what they'd want to see from a potential sequel. My girlfriend and I wrote an article for our own gaming website (DISCLAIMER: I am a drama teacher. The website is just a hobby) which can be found here. There are so many directions Naughty Dog could go, and I'm curious to gauge what people are feeling...

Mod Edit: Video added

• I'd want less cinematic moments and more focus on the incredible, dynamic gameplay. Open up the exploration and world even more.

• @Kaminski said in The Last of Us 2:

I'd want less cinematic moments

This to infinity, I hate having cinematic moments in games.

• @bard91
    And I'll say the opposite. I love having cinematic moments in games, if that's the type of game it's supposed to be. I didn't play Uncharted games for the shooting or wall climbing.

• More zombies, more types of zombies, more exploration and crafting, much MUCH less shooting at human enemies from behind waist high walls

• @Sieghardt said in The Last of Us 2:

More zombies, more types of zombies, more exploration and crafting, much MUCH less shooting at human enemies from behind waist high walls

I played a different The Last of Us than you. The game actively worked against players using guns 95% of the time.

I honestly don't know how you played it like a cover shooter. In my experience, shooting a bullet was the riskiest thing you could possibly do. Thinking out situations and staying undetected was always the way to go.

Then again, I only played it on hard.

• @Kaminski @bard91 You guys... don't understand The Last of Us. Yes, the gameplay was tense and balanced like a survival horror, but that only worked in concert with the cinematic narrative. Great direction is one of my favorite things in games. Inside, Twilight Princess, and The Last of Us are some of the stand-outs in this respect.

As for me, I just want another great original story, ideally with a female main protagonist since Naughty Dog have been teasing it so damn much (Ellie and Joel were a dual protagonist, but you're mainly playing as Joel). Besides, gamers love white women, right? (/s) Survival horror gameplay would be a bonus, since I think Naughty Dog is at their best with that, but quality writing is of chief importance. I don't want another sequel story like Uncharted 4, even if it is set in The Last of Us' reality. (Note: Sequels don't always have sequel stories. Some JRPGs like Nier are good examples of this.) It would be great if Naughty Dog created their own original universe — ideally not a straight sci-fi one — but who knows.

• Story-wise I'm hoping they don't continue from the first. I'd like to see maybe Joel and his brother between the intro scene and the rest of the game, or maybe just Joel's brother if they need to connect it. I'd rather just have a totally new story with new characters in a new location though. I've said this before, but I think setting the game closer to or immediately after the initial breakout could be cool.

Gameplay-wise, I'd like to see a bit more freedom to approach situations like Uncharted 4 and maybe some more exploration options to flesh out the world more. I'd also be down with more of an emphasis on survival horror too but I was happy with the balance of the first.

• Banned

@bard91 said in The Last of Us 2:

@Kaminski said in The Last of Us 2:

I'd want less cinematic moments

This to infinity, I hate having cinematic moments in games.

For me there's bad use of cinematic and good use.

Good use:
    The Last of Us

Bad use:
    Metal Gear Solid 4

Just my opinion though.

• A Mouse Trap-esque board game where you play as David. Little girls are power ups, but machetes decrease your points.

• I love the Last of Us so much, and I after some thought, I would say I'm pretty open-minded. If it were to be made, it's coming from Naughty Dog, so the game will be cinematic, therefore I'm not concerned about that. Gameplay was tight and polished, so there won't be drop off there either. I guess the one thing I would like to see more than anything else is something that I have personally no problem with, but seems to unreasonably anger (irritate I get, but not as much as I've seen) pretty much everyone who despises/hate the game (and even some who love it):

Companion A.I. being more "realistic"

And I want it just so I would stop hearing the criticism. But, can't have everything in life I guess, so as I said:

Pretty much open-minded.

• @Brannox said in The Last of Us 2:

And I want it just so I would stop hearing the criticism. But, can't have everything in life I guess, so as I said:

True. People reduce a game down to minor A.I. glitches and it's infuriating to read.

• i hope theres not a sequel the story had a good ending for me

but im not a super fan thought i didnt think the games was this masterpiece everyone else does

• @Haru17 I can agree that The Last of Us does its cinematic action well, but I still don't think it is something that should be overused or more importantly be the focus of the presentation of a game, to me it usually feels like an cheap way to try and get reactions or emotions from the audience, and that is not what I think games narratives should be aiming for.

The cinematic action moments made me really mad in Mass Effect 3 for example, and it was something that I really hated of Uncharted 1 and 2, and that I'm hating in 3 (the chateau level was honestly the worst)

But back to The Last of Us 2, I think that one thing that I would really like is for it to be much less conflict with other humans, really make it more about the struggle of survival that people are faced with.

• I really hope they don't make another last of us... One of the most overrated games. Savage Starlight please! that would make a good game. Naughty Dog does art style, story and setting well, but their game play leaves much to be desired now that the formula has been used so often.

alt text

• Joel is the final boss of TLOU2

• @FF7Cloud
    I'm in the camp that if we get a sequel it should be with a new cast as I feel there is more that can be done in the world and setting of TLoU, and if Joel and Ellie are in it in any way it should be something like a short cameo at most, or a few mentions in some journal or audio diary's.
    Although I did post my thoughts on how a TLoU 2 could be announced at PSX, and also my hope that it follows whoever survived Ish's group.
    As for cutscenes I think TLoU should take a few ques from MGS5, only cutting when absolutely necessary (or better finding unique ways to do a cut)

• @DMCMaster said in The Last of Us 2:

@FF7Cloud
    As for cutscenes I think TLoU should take a few ques from MGS5, only cutting when absolutely necessary (or better finding unique ways to do a cut)

Noooooooooo! an overrated game taking from another overrated game!? actually maybe that would make a good game? lol.

I joke...

In all seriousness though, I really don't mind cut scenes in games. Metal Gear Solid is one of my favorite games of all time and half the game was a cut scene. I dont think that's where Naughty Dogs weakness is, its actually their strength. What bored me about the last of us was the parts i was playing. I forced myself to play through it just for the story. I like Uncharted 4, however it suffered the same issues but was far more enjoyable because of how it didn't have to take it self as serious. If what you mean by taking MGSV mechanics is the min to min game play, then i agree, but the rest of MGSV was a mess in my opinion. Naughty Dog really needs to work on creating more immersive gameplay, and that doesnt mean it has to be open world.

• I want the game to be told from the perspective of one of the many meatheads from the first game who runs around in circles in a doorway before screaming down a hallway with a pipe towards a heavily armed Joel.

What was his story?

• @CGamor7
    Actually I was talking about TLoU using single long shots for cutsceneslike MGS5 did, not about gameplay.