The Last of Us Part II (PS4)

• I'm both relived and a bit angry at no multiplayer.

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/09/26/there-will-be-no-the-last-of-us-part-ii-multiplayer-but-it-will-have-2-discs/

On the one hand I'm angry as while I didn't play it often it was nice having a MP game that leaned further towards stealth.

On the other that means that 100% of the team is working on delivering a hell of a SP game.

Calling it now some kind of TLOU2 MP thing gets released on PS5

• Axel already called it. :P

• @dipset I get that but I mean, I don't know. Dual layer is like ~45 to 50 GB right? Maybe I'm just an old man telling kids to get off my lawn but I don't think any game really needs to be even that size, nevermind larger.

Maybe it's just a cultural thing or something since I'm thinking of the dozens and dozens of Japanese titles that I've played that are at most 25 gigs while pretty much every western title I have on my shelf takes up 40 to 50.

I feel like most of the size comes from audio files in all the different languages honestly, and while I'm not a fan of making something digital-only I feel like it'd be more cost-effective to just have the dominant languages of a market (so english, spanish and french for NA for example) on disc with the rest being a free DLC patch or something. I guess that'd be a much larger issue in markets like Europe however.

• @hanabi
    I might be wrong but I think PEGI requires that all EU languages be on the disc, or else it can't be sold in the region or something

• I wonder if games would have this shitty listen mode (x-ray vision) if more people owned surround sound systems.

• Global Moderator

I'm totally fine with that response. I'm certain we'll get something standalone.

@ezekiel You might have a better time playing grounded mode, doesn't have the listen mode but it is tough.

• @ezekiel
    I think I spent most of my first playthrough using the Sony Elite headset (god I wish Sony would make a successor to them, Platinum is nice but the bass isn't as strong) so I went without using the hearing mode except in one instance towards the end (like legit the very last moment with enemies)

• @tokeeffe9
    You do know you can actually turn it off in the settings.

• @sheria said:

God, I love my Japanese games and I don't really need to say how many people come in to threads to hate those, calling it weeb/otaku trash just because of the art style, character designs or the developer behind it.

Yeah, that frustrates me too. The fact that I have to defend Xenoblade Chronicles 2 because the people claiming it is objectifying are so laser fixated on Pyre's breasts they can't see the amazing game around them grinds my gears. To bring this back to the topic at hand, it'd be like blacklisting The Last of Us Part II for that trailer with the ladies making out. Unfortunate that's how they chose to promote it at that time because guaranteed buzz, but not worth throwing the game away for.

Surprised the game looks like crap to you though. I get not appealing, but crap? The environments were gorgeous if nothing else right?

• Naughty Dog F2P Online game confirmed

• @mbun
    To be fair people will probably blacklist TLOU2 at release, due to two scenes that I had heard about awhile back and this new trailer, while not confirming, at least adding more fuel to the fire, and if they play out like I've heard they are gonna be rough to watch, really, really rough.

• @mbun said in The Last of Us Part II (PS4):

@sheria said:

God, I love my Japanese games and I don't really need to say how many people come in to threads to hate those, calling it weeb/otaku trash just because of the art style, character designs or the developer behind it.

The environments were gorgeous if nothing else right?

Of course they are. When I say it looks crap, I'm not referring to the visuals, but that it looks like it will be a horrible play. The game looks like yet another one slowed down with a lot of forced walk & talk, bogged down by a lot of gameplay interruption and unnecessary realism injected throughout, more so than the original now by the looks of things.

It will all boil down to the combat and moment to moment gameplay at the end of the day, but that trailer in particular does nothing but put me right off, especially as I find the drama on show here quite cringey.

• @sheria Huber's preview made the combat look really frantic in a promising way.

• @mbun said in The Last of Us Part II (PS4):

@sheria Huber's preview made the combat look really frantic in a promising way.

Hope so. I'd like to still pick it up, but due to my distaste of the original, I'm definitely going to be holding out for a sale on this one.

• So I went from being disappointed about the lack of multiplayer to being really excited for whatever multiplayer game they’ve been working on. I just hope it isn’t a F2P game because Sony has no experience with that and when they added micro transactions to TLOU:R, they added pay to win guns.

Just please be a balanced game.