The Last of Us Part II (PS4)

• @dipset
    Good thing you up grades, game is like 100 something GB

• With all this I went from "I might play TLoU2 further down the road, maybe even wait for next gen." to "OK, I'll buy it day one and probably offer some copies to close friends that are having money problems".

So congrats to all the incels for all the promotional work!

• @phbz

I didn't know there was going to be a destructive spoiler campaign. I was well prepared to wait until PS5 if the release delay was that significant but now I need it Day 1. I can't avoid YouTube for a year unfortunately.

The hacker weirdos won...

• @phbz said in The Last of Us Part II (PS4):

With all this I went from "I might play TLoU2 further down the road, maybe even wait for next gen." to "OK, I'll buy it day one and probably offer some copies to close friends that are having money problems".

So congrats to all the incels for all the promotional work!

I don't think that's the case for most people who now know, though. They were either going to buy it anyway or now won't or will wait for a discount now. This will likely hurt sales somewhat, which is why Sony is in such a hurry to DMCA anything they can related to the spoilers. Even trying to address gamers is getting them overwhelmingly negative responses, like in this message from Druckmann that got two to one negative votes. I don't even know why he posted it.

Youtube Video

I would have bought it a couple of months later, giving me time to find out anyway. Now I probably never will. It's not 2012. People don't like being told what to think by Anita and her fans (Druckmann with his heavy-handed messaging) anymore. It doesn't look appealing.

• @ezekiel said in The Last of Us Part II (PS4):

It's not 2012. People don't like being told what to think by Anita and her fans (Druckmann with his heavy-handed messaging) anymore. It doesn't look appealing.

What do you mean by this? Druckmann saying this is Naughty Dog's best and most ambitious game isn't very heavy handed to me. Am I missing something?

• @ezekiel Look dude to me this is very simple. I find the idea that "everything has to be for everyone" vomit inducing. If you don't like something that's fine, you don't buy it. But creators should have absolute freedom to have their personal views reflected on their works.

I expect that when I listen an album, read a book, watch a movie and I fucking want that for videogames too! I don't want entertainment and art to be reduced to just whatever the masses find bland enough to be unchallenged by it. There's space for that too, but I want more. Is traumatizing enough to have people saying that whatever Marvel movie is the best movie they've ever seen. Let's not now start a fascistic anti intelectual movement - so dear to both extremes of the political spectrum - to cancel people's work and job because someone expresses the wrong freedom of thought.

Anyone can dislike something. But going out of your way to persecute someone because he dared to express his own views on his own work? Character assassination because someone is associated with a person you don't agree with? Punishing other fellow gamers because they support this game? Going out of your way to hurt sales and putting people's jobs at risk because you feel challenged?

Is gaming now supposed to be a safe space for reactionary snowflakes?

I'm not a fan of Naughty Dog. I find them overall good but overrated. And their crunch practices are obnoxious. But I'll defend the right for anyone to express it self. And in my opinion, I have difficulty looking at the people trying to hurt Naughty Dog and TLoU2 and see what exactly is their point, since they're behaving like absolute gutter trash humans.

• @dipset said in The Last of Us Part II (PS4):

@ezekiel said in The Last of Us Part II (PS4):

It's not 2012. People don't like being told what to think by Anita and her fans (Druckmann with his heavy-handed messaging) anymore. It doesn't look appealing.

What do you mean by this? Druckmann saying this is Naughty Dog's best and most ambitious game isn't very heavy handed to me. Am I missing something?

Not allowed to discuss it. Spoilers and all.

@ezekiel Look dude to me this is very simple. I find the idea that "everything has to be for everyone" vomit inducing. If you don't like something that's fine, you don't buy it. But creators should have absolute freedom to have their personal views reflected on their works.

I expect that when I listen an album, read a book, watch a movie and I fucking want that for videogames too! I don't want entertainment and art to be reduced to just whatever the masses find bland enough to be unchallenged by it. There's space for that too, but I want more. Is traumatizing enough to have people saying that whatever Marvel movie is the best movie they've ever seen. Let's not now start a fascistic anti intelectual movement - so dear to both extremes of the political spectrum - to cancel people's work and job because someone expresses the wrong freedom of thought.

Anyone can dislike something. But going out of your way to persecute someone because he dared to express his own views on his own work? Character assassination because someone is associated with a person you don't agree with? Punishing other fellow gamers because they support this game? Going out of your way to hurt sales and putting people's jobs at risk because you feel challenged?

Is gaming now supposed to be a safe space for reactionary snowflakes?

I'm not a fan of Naughty Dog. I find them overall good but overrated. And their crunch practices are obnoxious. But I'll defend the right for anyone to express it self. And in my opinion, I have difficulty looking at the people trying to hurt Naughty Dog and TLoU2 and see what exactly is their point, since they're behaving like absolute gutter trash humans.

The kind of agenda Anita and her fans are pushing is toxic. I can think of so many works of art that these people would come down on if they were made today. The one that immediately comes to mind is Aeon Flux, because I'm rewatching it. Peter Chung would never be able to produce something like that on a major network today. I find it so ironic that you're complaining about safe spaces when these people offer none. Druckmann's overly feminist version of the apocalypse feels unrealistic. I would elaborate, but I'd be getting close to spoiler territory.

• @ezekiel What's ironic is that people like you don't realize that by acting the way you think your "adversaries" would you become exactly what you despise. It's not wrong to be a pos if you're a feminist, it's just wrong to be a pos.

"Druckmann's overly feminist version of the apocalypse feels unrealistic." Really, you think a zombie apocalypse feels unrealistic? Are you serious?

Let me ask you, are you offended by the hyper masculine universe of Conan the Barbarian?

0_1588722947501_Conan-BarbarianA.jpg
    Does a body that only could exist with steroids that happens to exist in a world 10000bc, offend you? Is that enough to completely make your suspension of disbelief crumble? Are you revolted by its agenda?

• Global Moderator

Does this really need to be discussed again in The Last of Us 2 topic? I get it's being used as an example but this conversation today (and over the last week) has been way beyond The Last of Us 2.

@ezekiel What's ironic is that people like you don't realize that by acting the way you think your "adversaries" would you become exactly what you despise. It's not wrong to be a pos if you're a feminist, it's just wrong to be a pos.

"Druckmann's overly feminist version of the apocalypse feels unrealistic." Really, you think a zombie apocalypse feels unrealistic? Are you serious?

Let me ask you, are you offended by the hyper masculine universe of Conan the Barbarian?

0_1588722947501_Conan-BarbarianA.jpg
    Does a body that only could exist with steroids that happens to exist in a world 10000bc, offend you? Is that enough to completely make your suspension of disbelief crumble? Are you revolted by its agenda?

Conan was fantasy, "high adventure," (while Last of Us is going for gritty realism) and didn't feel vile in its representation of masculinity. I don't see how this game's despicable representations of masculine women and transgenders is supposed to help their position.

• I know none of the details since I'm not particularly interested in having things spoiled and I honestly just don't care much, but the more I hear the complaints and the tone that they have I'm getting more interested in getting the game soon after release which I never intended, in part to make up my mind, but partially because I dislike so much the negative tone things are taking that it makes me want to take a contrarian stance, but I won't do that blindly.

Honestly the main thing that kept me hesitant is that while I think TLoU is great Uncharted 1, 2 and 3 are so bad that I can't be convinced I'll enjoy their games, but the intrigue in this case is getting to me.

• New story trailer!! I think it's clearer than ever that it seems so much darker than the first game. Can't wait to spend a whole week with this. Also, are they teasing a Uncharted-esque vehicle chase/turret sequence (near the end of the trailer)?
    Youtube Video

• Can someone comment on whether this new trailer spoils too much? I really want to watch it but I'm tired of these launch trailers that just reveal wayyyyy too much from the late game. Both the Death Stranding and the FF7 remake launch trailers in recent past legitimately showed pivotal scenes including from the ending.

• Looking at the thumbnail it looks like they're trying to force on me their acoustic guitar agenda. Now I feel the need to cancel them since I'm much more into synths.

• @phbz
    You damn synthomaniacs, your ruining music, along with thoese mumblebumblers.

• @ozymandsss Nothing came off as spoilery to me in that trailer, so I would say you should be good to watch it.

• This post is deleted!

• I just watched the trailer and it was all very vague so it just upped my anticipation. @Ozymandsss

Gotta say, I love the Part II moniker. After digesting the ending and events of TLOU, including picking through all of the collectibles and getting the most coherent backstory I was capable of ingesting, I really stood strongly by it being a complete game and complete narrative - beginning, middle, and ending are all fulfilled and a sequel may be unnecessary.

TLOU 1 SPOILER - But I felt like there was enough evidence there that Joel thought the Fireflies were full of shit, and I also think Ellie could tell he was lying through his teeth when he told her there was nothing they could do. Fact is that the ending is up for interpretation so I won't die on that hill, but I definitely didn't think the ending constituted a sequel. It just felt complete as-is.

That said, and I can't put a finger on it, but something about what I've seen makes this Part II line feel justified. Not that TLOU 1 had loose ends, but even this most recent trailer, to me, alludes that perhaps Ellie is incomplete as a person despite the original having a narrative that wraps up. I'm not sure if Joel is the type of person who needs completeness as an older man who has seen it all, but I also got the vibe that he has more to say.

Again, I don't know how to put this into words but I'm happy this series is continuing despite the first game wrapping up well and my assumption is that the 'Part II' title will help unify the two games as an extended package rather than tagging on another unjustified call to action like many sequels do.

• What an incredible trailer.
    For anybody wondering if it has spoilers in it, nah, it's pretty tame in that regard. At least none of the leaks seem to be present in the trailer.

I was going to wait to play this game, since I generally try to wait a year or so before playing games to avoid shitty launches, glitches, etc, but the reaction to everything, both negative and positive about this game recently also has me thinking maybe I should hop in from the jump.