The Last of Us Part II (PS4)

• @ozymandsss There's no such thing unfortunately, looking at my post-completion menus right now. There's only the option to play select encounters from the whole game, outside of the typical new game-load game option.

• @bam541 @DMCMaster Ugh. Bummer. I wonder why they decided against it. The night before TLOU2 came out my wife and I watched the original game's cinematics beginning to end and it was an awesome way to recap the game given I didn't have time for a full replay.

• @ozymandsss probably because it's all running real time now, unlike the PS3-era games where some of em' are pre-rendered videos. It's a shame though for sure, I just noticed that Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy didn't have this feature as well.

• @bam541
    I thought Uncharted 4 had a movie viewer but yeah it's missing. Although considering the PS5 SSD they might be able to patch the mode in

Anyway still a bit more to go but life has kinda gotten in the way so will have to save the final push that said.

Abby's story turned out much better then I my intial impression from Day 1 left on me, although I do wish there was more time where you were hunted by both Wolves and Scars. I also wish we could of learned a bit more about why the Wolves and Scars are at war with one another. Also is it me or is the restaurant where you trap Tommy the same TLOU1 where you encounter David? That said I am in California and it is so far a nice visual change from rain soaked Seattle which just reminded me too much of home (doesn't help it was raining all last weekend)

That said there are two things I want to add

Dinah and Jesse get virtually no development whatsoever, and honestly I can't think of any reason why Dinah decided to join Ellie seeing as they only had one (well 2) moments before Joel was killed and that was seemingly enough for her to travel out to Seattle on a revenge mission? I mean from what little time Jesse was on screen he seemingly had more reason to join the Revenge bus with Ellie and Tommy. That said why did he look up to Joel?

Also

I can't help but feel like this was a compromise on two or three different competing ideas for TLOU2, especially in regards to Abby's segment, it feels like as soon as something is introduced or talked about, it's gone. Meanwhile Ellie's flashback scenes seem like they end just before returning to gameplay in that scenario. Like I can almost see a more full featured versions of both characters stories but was truncated because a whole other story got attached to it. Like I can see a story about Ellie and Joel during the 4 years, I can see a story where Ellie and Tommy hunt down Joel's killers (and that pairing makes more sense honestly), and I can see a story where Abby says "screw it" towards her group affiliation and ends up being hunted on 3 fronts (Just accounting for the infected). Like if I could ask Niel one thing it would just be was the final game as is a sort of comprised vision towards a "The Last of Us" sequel was the original idea a story separate from the events of the first game (something I've said before is how any sequel in TLOU should be handled) but then had Joel, Ellie and Tommy thrown in, or was it originally a game about Joel, Ellie and Tommy with characters meant for a 3ed game then thrown into thier story? Like I just can't shake this feeling and I just want a answer.

P.S

Fuck that thing in the hospital, like holy shit that whole sequence felt like I just hopped into a completely different game

• this part's only for the preview so there's no spoilers popping up please understand

@dmcmaster said in The Last of Us Part II (PS4):

Dinah and Jesse get virtually no development whatsoever, and honestly I can't think of any reason why Dinah decided to join Ellie seeing as they only had one (well 2) moments before Joel was killed and that was seemingly enough for her to travel out to Seattle on a revenge mission? I mean from what little time Jesse was on screen he seemingly had more reason to join the Revenge bus with Ellie and Tommy. That said why did he look up to Joel?

From what I've seen...

...in Ellie's Journal, and the things she says, I think it's very safe for me to think that Ellie, Dina and Jesse has been hanging out for a long time. Dina might already like Ellie more than as a friend for a while now, even while she was with Jesse (I'm not sure about this completely). So, I think the reasons are pretty obvious already: one of them is that she cares about Ellie a lot and probably would be uncomfortable if she just left Ellie to do her mission alone.

I feel like Joel brought a lot of his experience dealing with the dangers of the wasteland to the townspeople. A hint of this is that Jesse got scolded by Joel a day before Joel died, since Jesse got put in with Ellie in the same patrol schedule. As someone who's helping keeping up the town patrols, I think it would be quite natural for Jesse to look up someone as dependable as Joel. Plus, Jesse cares a lot about his people, as seen when he prioritizes Tommy's safety over Ellie's adamant opinion to go straight to the Aquarium in Day 3. With Tommy, Ellie, and Dina's lifes being involved, I think someone like Jesse would certainly try to help them.

I guess they could make these more obvious, but for me, the writing feels so natural already, explaining more of things like these would hurt it. I think they gave enough hints to give me a picture of pretty much most things in the story.

@dmcmaster said in The Last of Us Part II (PS4):

Like if I could ask Niel one thing it would just be was the final game as is a sort of comprised vision towards a "The Last of Us" sequel was the original idea a story separate from the events of the first game (something I've said before is how any sequel in TLOU should be handled) but then had Joel, Ellie and Tommy thrown in, or was it originally a game about Joel, Ellie and Tommy with characters meant for a 3ed game then thrown into thier story? Like I just can't shake this feeling and I just want a answer.

This won't answer your questions directly, but...

... I feel like the game we got is pretty condensed already. The funny thing is that one of the articles I read about this game says that it's gonna be a even bigger game, they have cut down quite a bit on things. So it's not a 3rd game ideas thrown into the story kind of thing. Abby's part is pretty much necessary for Neil, which makes a lot of sense for me. I can look up the article again, if you're interested.

• Just finished the game earlier today. I think this game is pretty incredible. I'm still processing and thinking about everything that happened and everything it made me feel, but I have a lot of respect for the way they told this story. Whether it was the little moments that you come upon just through exploring the environment or being forced to be in the driver's seat for some uncomfortable moments, I thought it was all put together extremely well.

Having the more open environments also made each encounter really cool, especially when I would either stealth my way through, or change my strategy when I would keep dying and then find a different building to attack from. It's fascinating to see from game to game how Naughty Dog evolves in its game design, and this felt like the real culmination of the PS3-PS4 era of the studio. I'm excited to see how they move forward into the PS5!

• @bam541
    Yes please find the article if you can

• @dmcmaster

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/06/24/storylines-characters-levels-cut-last-us-part-ii/

So this is the article that I talked about earlier, but it has no part directly referring to...

...Abby's part being necessary for Neil

I guess I must have pulled that conclusion in the middle of reading all the articles I read, sorry for that. The rest of my point still stands though, it's a pretty condensed game already, from what I've seen.

• I know I keep on banging on about this guy but his level of nuance & understanding is worlds ahead of his contemporaries. Fantastic video even if you don't fully agree with his points he makes a case for all of them.

Youtube Video

• 25 and a half hours, and I'm done. Don't think I'll replay this for a very long time. This is an impressive game in every aspect I can think of.

But that conclusion... hard to personally stomach right now.

• @brannox
    Fuck, seriously? I know the first is like 6-8ish hours but is pretty easily replayable.

There goes my plan to do a marathon replay session on my next holiday, cause I'm not doing another 30-48 hour session for awhile.

• @paulmci27

Nice to see his channel getting more love, also surprised to see him post something so soon for so recent.

• @dmcmaster Yes. I'm the type who tries to look in every corner and crevice in every area to try and find as many resources as possible, so you could theoretically shave about 5 or so hours if you fly through it, but yeah, this is a long one.

• @brannox
    I'm the same way, but even my playthrus end up super short. Hell I think my Death Stranding play thru was on the "short" end from others (89 hours)

Anyway I briefly mentioned this in my spoiler thoughts but to ask the question in less spoilery context, and because I doubt Sony will retire the franchise anytime soon. What do you want to see from a another The Last of Us?

Personally I've always thought that the franchise is perfect for a anthology series, maybe a cameo from past/future characters (depending on when said game takes place)

• @dmcmaster In short, I don't.

The last half dozen hours have left me, for lack of a more proper and accurate term, upset because the decisions that get made by the characters makes me feel like the outcome could have been avoided.

That said, what happens, happened. There really isn't any redemption from here.

• @brannox
    Personally I think Joel and Ellie should have been "retired " after the first game, mostly because I feel that any continuation would ruin the sorta sweet/dark/ambiguous nature the way TLOU1 ended.

• @dmcmaster The Last of Us is 15 hours long on average. A rushed playthrough is still going to set you back about 10 hours.

• @hazz3r Not if you manage to get Joel to perform a successful backwards long jump on the first abandoned car you see in Level 2.

• @el-shmiablo
    Don't forget to frame skip during the intro

• You can comfortably beat TLOU in 3.5-4 hours on Normal-Easy difficulty and skipping cut scenes, so I'd imagine if you plat TLOU Pt II on Normal or Easy, skip cutscenes, and only grab enough ammo and power through, you can shave like 50-70% of the game length.