The Last of Us Part II (PS4)

• And the credits finally roll

• Youtube Video

Angry Joe review is out. late.

• 2-3 weeks after release is Angry Joe's normal time frame.

Anyway finished it last night, was shocking closer to the ending then I thought. Still formulating

• @b-cell Watched a couple of his reviews before the guy talks a lot & says absolutely nothing. Empty calories.

• I used to like Angry Joe reviews cause he's go into minutiae about smaller details but I agree with the empty calories statement, he just goes on about story and what-if's rather than reviewing what is available.

• @dipset
    He's been hit or miss for awhile, I think it's just due to "THE ALGORITHM " (insert dun,dun,duuuuunnnnn). And having to cover things he might not have much interest in because well stuff relating to X Is what's getting all the clicks.

Like I was personally hoping he would cover the other Yakuza games after trying 0 and he's been radio Silent on the franchise since

• @dmcmaster

I respect his right to cover whatever he wants, but you know when people are pandering to a very specific "outrage" audience when every video fits into the binary of "FAIL" or "WIN". Companies, decisions people make, the quality of video games, the topics that surround them seem to all fall into the binary of absolute demonstrable failure, or 'epic win' and that binary is ridiculous.

Even within TLOU Pt 2 discussion there are people having respectable debates about some of the characters in the game. Nobody I see writing for Guardian, Kotaku, Polygon, etc, are resorting to "ABSOLUTE FAILURE" in their dialogue.

One example that comes to mind is this specific type of YouTube channel / fanbase writing off Battlefield V for having female characters. When we universally agreed that that isn't a good reason to write a game off, then they have to resort to more rational arguments like how the game itself is "TERRIBLE".

Well, I finally played it. It's really good... It is not even close to being the best Battlefield game but this is what I mean by these YouTube channels promoting a binary between failure and success. This game is clearly somewhere down the middle but being average won't get them clicks so they resort to anger and outrage and it's ridiculous.

• @b-cell said in The Last of Us Part II (PS4):

https:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-sTlYUeT8o

Angry Joe review is out. late.

I wonder if Sonys PR department also contacted him lol.

I agree completely with his comments on how the characters were handled/treated, I felt exactly the same way. Seems though that he also felt the need to over-clarify that by saying that, it doesn't just simply mean they're angry someone died.

• Y'all need spoiler tags in your life.

• @el-shmiablo said in The Last of Us Part II (PS4):

Y'all need spoiler tags in your life.

I tried a number of times with the eye/spoiler symbol, it didn't seem to work. I left my comment vague enough though, no less so really than you're Game of Thrones comparisons.

BCell doesn't need it though, the review itself is very clear in pointing out Spoilers are ahead.

• AJ was someone I used to follow for the lols. Kind of a precursor of the online outrage culture. That's why I unsubscribe from his YouTube some years ago. There's a limit for how much one can endure from a grown adult making a living out of throwing tantrums.

Regarding his review. I have a certain difficulty in understanding how can someone who gave the original game a 10 give a 7 to this one.

Ok, story is arguably worse (I don't agree with that, but accept the opinion), but pretty much in every other aspect this game is clearly superior to the original. Particularly combat/stealth are much improved.

Not only that, animation, sound design, acting direction, level design, world building are industry leading.

I don't know, but it's really not important. Just silly.

• If he had a tempered and reasonable response to the leaks his fanbase would have eaten him alive.
    Look at what happened to Idubbbz. Dude said his opinion on sex work had matured and his fanbase of ravenous edgelords turned on him and called him a simp.

• @el-shmiablo I agree with this, some youtubers/streamers are shitting themselves because of the fear of backlash. I can't really blame them its their lively hood . Still it's sad to see.

• @paulmci27 That's what Alanah Pearce was saying a few days back. That the biggest pressure reviewers feel is not from publishers or editors but from the public.

• @phbz
    I feel like that one is circumstantial, depending on thier position.

Kotaku, Polygon, IGN, Giant Bomb all getting marketing money to promote some game on the site probably has a reason to praise a game. Remember Kane & Kazooie with Gamespot?

Meanwhile Youtubers have a audience to placate, that audience is expecting to hear review scores or grades or whatever leaning in one direction or another.

• @dmcmaster I think you meant Kane & lynch.

But I think it's not the norm, otherwise you would have tons of similar stories through the years, particularly when you have such a high turnover. Also because a case like this does irreparable harm to the publication once exposed. Yes, there's promiscuity (there's a lot of honest fanboyism too) but there's plenty of examples on all publications you listed of negative reviews and articles against publishers. Microsoft alone would have blacklisted GameSpot if that kind of pressure was standard in the industry.

On the other hand harassment towards reviewers is pretty common. And pretty vicious nowadays.

• @dmcmaster As Alanah points out in her video, the marketing team and the editorial team are completely separated in these places. Yes, IGN as an entity does have reason talk positively about a game if that game is plastered all over the front page. But the teams are separated internally to make sure that they don’t have that kind of bias,

• @phbz
    Auto correct strikes again. Although I'm keeping it because it sounds funny

• Some mild spoiler for TLOU2, but there's one next gen detail no one is talking about. Real time bubble reflections.
    Youtube Video

• @dmcmaster Seeing the difference of TLOU1 to U4 and TLOU2 is so bizzare. Hopefully we'll see jumps like this again when the end of the next gen comes up.