The Last of Us Part II (PS4)

• @TheMarcV It's amazing how people can have two different takes on the same thing. Love and respect to you and your interpretation, but

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Spoilerthe Ellie boss fight was the one thing I hated about the game. I thought it was incredibly immersion breaking to be controlling Abby, whom I didnt want to succeed, and I just wanted to turn the gun on myself lol. Then when Ellie got the best of me on my first try, the game just gives you a game over screen and reloads because Ellie's victory here is clearly not the canon intention of the developers. So my options were to either a) beat the hell out of Ellie which was completely against my inclination or b) be funneled without agency into a fight that could only end one way. I absolutely loved the game and the story but this boss fight reminded me that I was playing a game with an agenda I had no part in.

• @ozymandsss spoiler tags, doc.

• @ozymandsss
    While it probably would of added another few months to a year of development I would of loved if

The Ellie fight had different outcomes for both Ellie and Abby.

• @ozymandsss I knew I should have muted this thread lol.

• @capnbobamous
    Quick bleach your eyes

• @ozymandsss It is interesting how different people have different ways to experience the same thing.

Lack of agency it's something that pisses me off about Naughty Dog storytelling BUT... Some moments in this game I really enjoyed being forced to do something I really didn't want to, it fits perfectly with the irrational nature of revenge and offers a quite unique perspective on the theme.

• @ozymandsss Love and Respect to you as well. I think you have total valid reasons for not liking it but I think a big reason I was able to enjoy that section of the game and the game over all was I was just there for the ride. I know ND style, they are going to tell you their story, you as the player just get to experience it, not change or mold it.

Spoiler

Spoiler I so appreciate being put in this position that I'd never been before in gaming. I'd never been in a boss fight that I was okay with losing, it honestly just messed with me in such an interesting way, for me personally this boss fight 100% validated playing as Abby for so long.

• Ok, I'm sorry all. I have to admit, I don't know how to spoiler tag! Can someone please advise and I'll edit my post! Sorry!

• @ozymandsss Sure thing:

When you click to create a new post or reply, click on the last icon to the right. You'll see >! Spoiler

Then replace the text spoiler with whatever you want to say.

Like this.

• @Brannox Got it! Thanks and sorry again!

• Good job it wasn't a mega spoiler

• @hazz3r
    Yeah god forbid someone spoiled Nate, Sully and Jak having to put down a infected Daxtar

• @dmcmaster I knew I should have muted this thread!

• There's a montage/music video edit of this game with Radiohead's Exit Music (For A Film) and it's so damn good. Heavy spoilers, of course.

Youtube Video

• I'm late to the party I know, but I just rolled credits on this one after playing for 26 hours, and wow. This has without a doubt one of the most compelling, and daring, narratives I have ever seen in a game. It has made me feel things that no game ever has, or any piece of media really. That's not to say it's perfect, hell I would even say it's a bit messy, but it culminates into an experience that is, for better or worse, peerless.

I just tried to write a bunch of thoughts, but it all ended up sounding like gibberish, slightly because of exhaustion but also because it's a hard one to wrap my head around. It's not an easy game to just write thoughts about because it is so narratively compex. Maybe I'll come back later when I have more concrete thoughts, but I'll leave you with this: this is a deeply upsetting game, and is oftentimes incredibly difficult to want to play, however I am immensely glad I did. Never before has a game brought tears out of me not due to sadness, but because it made me so incredibly overwhelmed that tears were the only form of release I had. It grinds you down until you are nothing, but it rarely feels cheap.

• @capnbobamous
    Hell I've been trying to write my own thoughts in a coherent manner on TLOU2 for the last week or so and still have trouble putting it down into words, although that's more of a me issue.

• I haven't watched it for myself, but Kyle talked about this game on his stream. Here's the archive for it, timestamp included (there might be an edited version soon). I've been curious about his opinion, gonna watch it ASAP.

Youtube Video – [6:12:00..]

Edit: Just watched it. Ah, I missed Kyle so much! I should watch his streams more. He brought great points as usual and present it in his super entertaining way. I love his thoughts about the ending especially, and how he structured his talk to be also about storytelling in general. Glad to see I'm not the only one who's not gonna play the story again, lol.

• Someone in Kyle's twitch chat mentions this last journal entry that I totally missed. It's pretty cool. Here's the entry

• I just finished it and still shaking from it. What a game man! Probably will write something later.

• Def liked Kyle's take on the game. I agree with him that the game tries to make you feel things you don't want to feel but it finally got me near the end.