The Last of Us Part II (PS4)

• @Alex840 said in The Last of Us 2:

I don't think the game needs a sequel either, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be excited for one.

For the record, I expect TLOU 2 to release Spring 2019.

I reckon it gets announced as releasing Summer 2018, and then delayed till 2019. Naughty Dog like the slow burn, and frankly i'd rather they take their time.

• I want more time to have passed and Ellie is all grown up. She has to find out somehow and hate Joels guts for it.

I honestly don't know if I want a sequel. I want more, but I'm not sure it can be expanded upon in a meaningful way. It ended in such a beautiful manner that it could be spoilt by being built upon.

• @DMCMaster Are you able to explain what that is? Im not familiar with cinematography. Ill probably have a better understanding once i can visualize what your talking about.

• @CGamor7
    I'll try to make this as simple as possible, but essentially every tine the camera changes angles that is a cut, like say we get a close up giving a look at someone's face, before the camera then cuts to a shot behind the character giving us a look at what they are seeing.
    A tracking shot however is one long take, the camera will move and rotate between different characters, but at no point does it do a hard cut from one person to another.
    Take the opening from Spectre, it's just one long tracking shot.
    Youtube Video

• @DMCMaster ahhhh ok, not sure there was need for trying to make that simple :relieved: now that you explained it, it makes sense, thanks! :) Im not sure i have a preference with how they use the camera, but ive never payed attention. Next im i play a game with cutscenes ill remember this conversation and maybe have more of an opinion on it.

• @Klinjon said in The Last of Us 2:

@TokyoSlim said in The Last of Us 2:

@GoTaco That's intense. Space fungus is terrifying.

And just so darn itchy. The Last of Us 2: Topical Cream Edition.

"2 Last 2 Furious Itching"

• @CGamor7
    So you see what I mean about how a few tracking shots could be used well for TLoU?

As a quick aside I hate the big reveal from Bioshock, probably the biggest example of a cutscene that could have been so much better if it kept the HUD up during it.

• @DMCMaster Games are one big tracking shot if you think about it (see: Nier: Automata).

I like cuts, personally. It allows for creative visual storytelling. I want to see more of their like in the medium — and not just the Mass Effect face/face cut either.

• @Haru17
    True, and I'm fine with normal editing techniques, in fact I prefer it given the scenario of the scene.

• @GoTaco said in The Last of Us 2:

@Klinjon said in The Last of Us 2:

@TokyoSlim said in The Last of Us 2:

@GoTaco That's intense. Space fungus is terrifying.

And just so darn itchy. The Last of Us 2: Topical Cream Edition.

"2 Last 2 Furious Itching"

Tagline: "So you think you know Fungus? You ain't seen nothing yet..."

• @DMCMaster said in The Last of Us 2:

@CGamor7
    So you see what I mean about how a few tracking shots could be used well for TLoU?

As a quick aside I hate the big reveal from Bioshock, probably the biggest example of a cutscene that could have been so much better if it kept the HUD up during it.

The problem with that bioshock sequence for me was pacing. Too much staring at underwater buildings. I could see Naughty Dog utilising this sort of thing in a prolonged torture / interrogation sequence, like with Joel and the two Hunters near the end. That scene was grim!

• @Klinjon
    Guess it's OK to specify which scene I meant. I was talking about the point when you meet Ryan.

@Klinjon
    Guess it's OK to specify which scene I meant. I was talking about the point when you meet Ryan.

Ah that makes sense. I still think the opening is badly paced though ;-)

• Also, another point i wanted to discuss: can anyone see a scenario where we get a Naughty Dog-less TLOU sequel? The original sold extremely well, but if ND wanted to go in a different direction but Sony mandated a sequel be made.. Is this something we could see? Another first party studio take the reigns whilst Naughty Dog did something else? SIDE NOTE: I could absolutely see this playing out for a potential Uncharted 5...

• @Klinjon Yeah I thought ND said they could see letting another developer take over Uncharted..

I just think it had too good an ending to carry on with the same characters..

• @Klinjon
    I have a small feeling Days Gone started as a TLoU side project

• @Faaip said in The Last of Us 2:

@Klinjon Yeah I thought ND said they could see letting another developer take over Uncharted..

I just think it had too good an ending to carry on with the same characters..

Yeah it would have to be a new cast to justify continuing the story, especially since U4 had such a great ending! Maybe a new instalment could feature cameo's from known characters, set in the same universe, but focus on a whole new adventure?

@Klinjon
    I have a small feeling Days Gone started as a TLoU side project

Oooooo back door shady deals! ;) it definitely has a similar asthetic, but everything we've seen so far seems to suggest its going to be vastly different from TLOU.

• @Kaminski said in The Last of Us 2:

I'd want less cinematic moments and more focus on the incredible, dynamic gameplay. Open up

alt text

• @Lexad said in The Last of Us 2:

@Kaminski said in The Last of Us 2:

I'd want less cinematic moments and more focus on the incredible, dynamic gameplay. Open up

alt text

Because cinematic inturruptions ruin games for me. I rather story be told primarily through gameplay as much as possible a la the Souls games and Metroid. Self propelled exploration and discovery does wonders for an experience.