The Last of Us Part II (PS4)

• @dmcmaster

Honestly, I think it's pretty good. I used to do some edits like this with provided game footage (i.e. trailers I downloaded) and one piece of feedback I got was not to cut on the beat to the music too often. Even with that advice, I still did it sometimes, but now I kinda see how that can meddle with the pace a bit.

• @dipset
    I was told the opposite when I did a video production class, granted the teacher wouldn't hear anything otherwise, even if we pointed out that editing to the beat of some songs would be 1. A total pain in the ass, and 2. Result in a edit that would be disorienting.

• @dmcmaster

I actually just found an old hard drive yesterday of my shitty work from university and I came across this video that I made for my 2nd year editing class. I took direct inspiration from another video I'd seen. I ended up getting like 9/10 or something.

Youtube Video

I think it just depends on how you edit to the beats. I'm not 100% sure if I sent you my dumb Life Is Strange video but I edited to music beats in that one and it's pretty awkward whereas I use this for effect.

I kinda miss editing... now my editing is organizing audio deliveries and stuff. Not as fun.

• @dipset
    I don't think you ever posted that life is strange video

• @dmcmaster

I just uploaded the intro. I wanna throw up the VO / script is so bad. I swear I don't sound this lame in real life... its an abandoned video where I argue that Arcadia Bay from Life Is Strange is one of the best towns / settings in gaming.

Youtube Video

In regards to editing, I sent this to a few friends (professional editors) and they told me to avoid editing to the beats like I do in the beginning. It's a shame that the old GameTrailers community has dissolved because there were some amazing User Video creators who made edits and provided feedback and all that. I really miss that time and place in gaming.

• @dipset
    Yeah I know what you mean, actually tried to make a thread for people to share thier own stuff but I think it got 5 post before dying. And I think I was all 5.
    Did talk to HyperBitHero back in the day for advice on doing reviews, which basically said don't leave subtitles on.

• @dmcmaster

RIP I have subs on in my video hahaha!

I saw there is an art thread. Been doing photography a bit lately but haven't shared much outside of my personal Flickr.

• Possibly nothing but the guy who played Abby's dad posted this

• @dmcmaster

Part III: He's ALIVE

• @dipset I genuinely love this intro. I want to watch the rest lol. I thought the script sounded great, and the VO wasn't bad at all.

@DMCMaster I like the video. I agree with Dip that you probably shouldn't cut on the beat as much as it ends up being a bit distracting, but I really liked the ending. Also I don't know how long you plan on making this video, but a two minute long outro is pretty long if you want the video to be like ten minutes. If it's like half an hour or longer then it's fine though.

If there's one thing I know from experience though, it's that you will always be the worst judge of your own work. The best advice I've ever gotten is to always finish it. If it sucks, then revise it to make it better. When you finish it you at least have that opportunity.

• @capnbobamous
    I'm trying to avoid cutting to the beat, I just figured it worked well for the very start of the video. I'm trying to edit stuff closer to the lyrics, what scenes work best within context of what's being said to the song. I'm also trying a bit to get the intro and outro to link up thematically. Like the opening shot of the intro is Joel with the guitar, and the final shot of the outro is the Guitar by the window.

As for how long it is, it currently takes me about 15 or so minutes to read aloud my current script, so I think a final edit will maybe be around the 20 minute mark maybe

• @dmcmaster I would use this scene 0_1603268508055_IMG_20201021_092059.jpg

on your empty parts because it's highly evocative, has movement and a sense of progression. Then probably just the empty boat at the end with no music.

• @phbz
    Empty boat post game when its on the beach, or pre game when its on the water.
    And my memory might be a bit fuzzy (ill have to look at my footage again) but that scene was pretty short if I remember.

Also there's something of a prologe or Epilogue to my review I'm thinking of doing first, something to try and better explain my feelings towards TLOU2, along with possibly going into theory territory about the games original story structure. something I think I can actually prove now that I'm replaying it and seeing some things I didn't notice the first time

• @dmcmaster You can always add more stuff, it's just because that's my favourite scene in the whole game.

Probably post game.

• @scotty
    Yeah I saw that he added that yesterday

• Youtube Video

Youtube Video

Just posting some hilarious, but also very informative reviews from two of my favorite content creators.

• @el-shmiablo

I really loved the Nakey Jakey review and I appreciate everything he’s saying but I have a hard time getting on board with the general sentiment that The Last of Us Pt II should be held to some higher standard in designing a challenging game.

Mainly, to his point about a truly challenging game wouldn’t be a typical shooter like Uncharted or Call of Duty. I appreciate that point but I think ND should be commended for trying to contextualize their gameplay systems better than most studios do as opposed to criticizing them for making a challenging narrative wrapped in the blanket of a typical shooter.

Again, I see the point being made there but TLOU2 has some pretty amazing gameplay AND story (in my opinion) so I sorta think people are being somewhat harsh.

• Did anyone catch this? Shame to hear about the playable version of the dance.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/06/24/storylines-characters-levels-cut-last-us-part-ii/

• @dmcmaster Heard about that a while back, it would be so cool to be able to see that playable dance scene. I feel like someday devs should add their cut content as a bonus free DLC or something, I think people would enjoy it as long as they label it as such.