The Last of Us Part II (PS4)

• @GoTaco said in The Last of Us 2:

@Klinjon said in The Last of Us 2:

@TokyoSlim said in The Last of Us 2:

@GoTaco That's intense. Space fungus is terrifying.

And just so darn itchy. The Last of Us 2: Topical Cream Edition.

"2 Last 2 Furious Itching"

Tagline: "So you think you know Fungus? You ain't seen nothing yet..."

• @DMCMaster said in The Last of Us 2:

@CGamor7
    So you see what I mean about how a few tracking shots could be used well for TLoU?

As a quick aside I hate the big reveal from Bioshock, probably the biggest example of a cutscene that could have been so much better if it kept the HUD up during it.

The problem with that bioshock sequence for me was pacing. Too much staring at underwater buildings. I could see Naughty Dog utilising this sort of thing in a prolonged torture / interrogation sequence, like with Joel and the two Hunters near the end. That scene was grim!

• @Klinjon
    Guess it's OK to specify which scene I meant. I was talking about the point when you meet Ryan.

@Klinjon
    Guess it's OK to specify which scene I meant. I was talking about the point when you meet Ryan.

Ah that makes sense. I still think the opening is badly paced though ;-)

• Also, another point i wanted to discuss: can anyone see a scenario where we get a Naughty Dog-less TLOU sequel? The original sold extremely well, but if ND wanted to go in a different direction but Sony mandated a sequel be made.. Is this something we could see? Another first party studio take the reigns whilst Naughty Dog did something else? SIDE NOTE: I could absolutely see this playing out for a potential Uncharted 5...

• @Klinjon Yeah I thought ND said they could see letting another developer take over Uncharted..

I just think it had too good an ending to carry on with the same characters..

• @Klinjon
    I have a small feeling Days Gone started as a TLoU side project

• @Faaip said in The Last of Us 2:

@Klinjon Yeah I thought ND said they could see letting another developer take over Uncharted..

I just think it had too good an ending to carry on with the same characters..

Yeah it would have to be a new cast to justify continuing the story, especially since U4 had such a great ending! Maybe a new instalment could feature cameo's from known characters, set in the same universe, but focus on a whole new adventure?

@Klinjon
    I have a small feeling Days Gone started as a TLoU side project

Oooooo back door shady deals! ;) it definitely has a similar asthetic, but everything we've seen so far seems to suggest its going to be vastly different from TLOU.

• @Kaminski said in The Last of Us 2:

I'd want less cinematic moments and more focus on the incredible, dynamic gameplay. Open up

alt text

• @Lexad said in The Last of Us 2:

@Kaminski said in The Last of Us 2:

I'd want less cinematic moments and more focus on the incredible, dynamic gameplay. Open up

alt text

Because cinematic inturruptions ruin games for me. I rather story be told primarily through gameplay as much as possible a la the Souls games and Metroid. Self propelled exploration and discovery does wonders for an experience.

• alt text

I think he's teasing TLOU 2. I'm gonna throw up!

• Trailer was nicely paced visually and pretty clear in its statement of tone, but I feel it was at odds with the arc of the first game. Could be intentional, but I'm immediately put off by it.

I like the 'Part II' though, I think that says a lot about its focus.

• @Ringedwithtile That's rather inherent with a time skip.

• Naming it Part II really makes the statement that you have to have played the first one. They are not holding narrative punches with this one.

• @Haru17 How so? How is anything inherent in the passage of time?

• Hope it is a Part 2 and not a Part Deux.

• definitively intrigued, but I know that I'm gonna be very critical after playing the mess that was the Uncharted PS3 trilogy, still I do remember liking the first a lot, so hopefully this one will be great

• @Ringedwithtile A "time skip" is a narrative device to do with — but not just — the passage of time. Distance is inherent to a time skip because these characters have been living, changing, and evolving for the past 7-odd years. We as the audience haven't spent that time with them, so it's only natural to feel that distance in the literal first look we have at the new game. One must grow acclimated to feel at home.

• @Haru17 I understand, I just think it's a very odd choice to open with Ellie, a character they've spent an entire game and a dedicated DLC developing, driven by a motivation we've never seen her express; and still with someone she's already proven she's capable without, and, in her last moment on-screen (chronologically speaking), doubtful of. Putting her in this position isn't exactly a 180, but it moves against how her character has been developed previously, which is why I'm a bit put off by it.

I get that she's changed, that much is apparent, but the trailer draws questions about what's happened between the time it captures and the first game, but puts more emphasis on what's going to happen after she puts down the guitar.

It's just a trailer after all, I look forward to hearing more, but I don't think it's a very compelling reveal.