Video Game Food Monthly

• ...also, the pork buns picture was broken, so I fixed it. You may gaze, once again at pork buns in all their glory!

• @ActualLife
    In game recipe is listed here: http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Cake
    Real, functional recipe that is doable, and actually pretty good: http://www.geekychef.com/2010/09/delicious-and-moist-cake.html

• Alrighty, so I owe three Video Game Food Monthly posts by the end of the month.
    Here's number one. This meal is dedicated to James Vega's Abuela
    Youtube Video

Here's a recipe that I based this on. I adjusted for my own personal tastes, subbing refried black beans to pinto beans, omitting all cilantro, adding waaaaay too much chorizo (brown in a pan and drain before adding to sauce). Also, I already had flour tortillas and didn't feel like going out to buy corn ones just for this. It's not 100 percent authentic, but at least I'm reasonably sure these eggs are from terran chickens.

alt text

alt text

• Wow! This is amazing! I am so impressed right now, all of this food looks incredible!

• Bruuuuuuuuuuh
    o_0

• Dude this all looks amazing! I love to cook too, I should totally try out more game recipes from now on

• The second of the three video game foods I'm making this month has been decided upon. Look for it this weekend! I will just say that it's inspired by a game that's near and dear to my heart.

• alt text

So I made curry. Specifically Katsu curry. I used a 2lb chuck roast, cubed. Baby carrots, 2 russet potatoes peeled and diced, and one heavily caramelized onion. I used House Kokumaro curry roux, and I added a cup of coffee to the curry while it was cooking to give it that "Leblanc" style. For the Katsu, pound a pork chop flat, pat it dry. Coat in rice flour, dunk in egg, then dredge through a pile of panko crumbs and fry in bubbling hot but not smoking oil.

alt text

I had left over coffee, so I made coffee jello for dessert:
    I used beans from Tarazzu, Costa Rica. Roasted by Vashon Island Coffee Roasterie, BTW.
    It's a sweet, light roast :P

Put leftover black coffee in a small saucepan, add unsweetened plain gelatin, a few tsp of sugar, pour into cups (I used a tea cup), because it's easier to pop the jello out. refrigerate for about 3 hours. flip the cup over onto a bed of turbinado sugar, pour creamer on top:

alt text

• @TokyoSlim Katsu curry is one of my go-to meals! So easy and always delicious. That jello looks fuegofire.

• @TokyoSlim man, it looks incredibly delicious. I never would have thought to use coffee in curry! I haven't been to Vashon Island before, but I have often seen it from Pt. Defiance so I guess I have to add the Roasterie to my bucket list now! c:

• @SuperDivatastic They'll ship and you can also find whole beans at some other stores around the area.
    http://www.tvicr.com/coffee/info/index.php

Here's the info from the website about the coffee I got:

Costa Rican Reserve
    VIENNESE ROAST
    Drip - French Press

Rare Varietal, Traditionally Grown and Directly Traded Beans

Luz Marina Trujillo, a third-generation Colombian coffee grower, transports the techniques of her family in Colombia to her own farm in Costa Rica, where she grows a combination of intensive shaded coffee intermixed with an area of natural forest set aside to preserve the water quality. The queen of the collection, the austere style of Santa Elena Estate Coffee is as distinctive, and has a personality as individual as that of its owner. The cup is light, crisp and refreshing, like the high mountain air of Tarrazu. Soft nutty flavor. Pairs nicely with desserts—especially chocolate.

It's definitely a nice roast.

• I haven't forgotten that I owe one more video game food for this month.

Currently prepping for a FFXV treat...

• Nebula Salmon Teriyaki
    alt text

alt text

http://therecipecritic.com/2015/04/baked-sesame-teriyaki-salmon/

Sub rice wine vinegar for the apple cider vinegar, add about 1/4 cup of Mirin and half the brown sugar, add one inch of grated ginger if you want my own personal version. Strained the sauce before reducing it. Added some white rice and drizzled sauce over the top.