Best Video Games of 2016

• Apologies if this has already been addressed in another topic, but I'd like to know the best video games that you think deserve an award that released this year.

Only rules are that it can't have released in Early Access, as that's not a release, that's a test version of the game and that there are to be no re-releases, remasters, or DLC on your list. So, if it didn't come out as a full video game in 2016, no dice.

Here are my top ten:

1. INSIDE
    2. Forza Horizon 3
    3. Doom
    4. Watch_Dogs 2
    5. Quadrilateral Cowboy
    6. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
    7. That Dragon, Cancer
    8. Firewatch
    9. Abzu
    10. Quantum Break

• Bit early imo, there are still games coming out that for some could become top 10 or even GotY, mostly FFXV (pretty sure it will land in my Top 10) and Last Guardian.

• INSIDE #1

• I've played 4 games from this year. All 4 are great

1. Street Fighter V (best game of the gen)
    2. Pokémon Moon
    3. Overwatch
    4. Dragon Quest 7

• @Musou-Tensei With The Game Awards in just under a week, I don't think it's early at all.

As for Final Fantasy XV and The Last Guardian, those are way too late in the year to receive nods, since there is absolutely no time to play them before nominees are revealed on IGN, Game Informer, etc. The only way those two games could even be considered is if the various video game awards ceremonies/reveals are held off until January or later, which is quite impossible, because then games like Resident Evil VII: Biohazard are out once again and we start all over, not to mention "the holiday rush" of buying games on a holiday sale.

I also want to mention that as a video game writer that waiting until those games are out is downright foolish, in my eyes. We'll see how both of them fare soon, but I don't think people are expecting those games to be 9.5's or even 10's, considering the amount of time that has been spent on each project and the fact that they've been all but a joke until their respective "re-reveals" at E3.

• @Kaminski Interesting choices. Sorry that you didn't get to play more games this year :(

• @BladedTech Your reasoning why the game awards can't be in january (or better february to give people time to play they christmas games) makes no sense, the game awards would focus on everything released in 2016 without exception, which is factual, what is released in january before the awards happen is absolutely irrelevant and would be of course used for the next game awards in january/february 2018.

1. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
    2. Overwatch
    3. Civilization VI
    4. XCOM 2
    5. Uncharted 4
    6. Firewatch
    7. The Banner Saga 2
    8. Mafia III
    9. Hearts of Iron IV
    10. Salt & Sanctuary

• @Musou-Tensei Giving everyone the chance to play all the nominees that aren't in the industry is, quite frankly, the wrong way to look at this. You're not voting for Best Video Game of 2016 when you Tweet a link for your choice, you're just simply stating a preference, as I understand it.

Furthermore, if you were to wait for the people who care about The Game Awards to play every single item on the roster, you wouldn't just be waiting until January or February. You'd be waiting until at least E3 2017 for everyone to play these games, considering that Final Fantasy XV will take at least 100 hours to fully understand, and the fact that Dead Rising 4 is also coming out around that time as well, and that's my point.

January/February 2017 games actually do matter, because if people are busy with RE VII or any other of the dozen games released in those two months, there's a slim chance you're gonna wanna look back on the year prior, when you've got all these other games to look forward to in the current year.

• Haven't played many from this year:

1. Uncharted 4
    2. Ratchet & Clank
    3. DOOM
    4. Gears of War 4
    5. Inside

And I still have some to go:

1. Final Fantasy XV
    2. Dishonored 2
    3. Rise of the Tomb Raider
    4. Titanfall 2

And even that still isn't 10 games. I'm just incredibly picky so I don't think I would ever play 10 games within their year of release.

• @Exist-2-Inspire Amazing list, dude!

I was considering putting Deus Ex, Overwatch, Uncharted 4, and The Banner Saga 2 in my Top Ten, but then I realized that while those games are fun, that's really it. They're fun to play, but they didn't really leave my mouth agape like the ones on mine.

Amazing list, nonetheless.

• @BladedTech Deus Ex is on your list though! :P

• @Exist-2-Inspire Correct, it is. I guess I should pay more attention to my list.

However, I would like to note my placement of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided at #6. I've seen some lists that place it higher, but as a big fan of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, I just expected more.

• For me it was the perfect sequel to Human Revolution (my fav game of the last Gen.), clearly my GOTY this year!

1. overwatch
    2. overwatch
    3. overwatch
    4. overwatch
    5. overwatch
    6. overwatch
    7. overwatch
    8. overwatch
    9. overwatch
    10. overwatch

• @Exist-2-Inspire Interesting opinion. I just wanted more of the uprising and more variation in the skill trees.

• @TheOhrenberger LOL

• I can only speak for the ones I've played a good amount of, so ....

1 - Civilization 6
    2 - Stardew Valley

I may get to the rest sometime later

• @BladedTech said in Best Video Games of 2016:

@Musou-Tensei Giving everyone the chance to play all the nominees that aren't in the industry is, quite frankly, the wrong way to look at this. You're not voting for Best Video Game of 2016 when you Tweet a link for your choice, you're just simply stating a preference, as I understand it.

No it's the only logical way, else these circle jerks I mean game awards are completely pointless.

Furthermore, if you were to wait for the people who care about The Game Awards to play every single item on the roster, you wouldn't just be waiting until January or February. You'd be waiting until at least E3 2017 for everyone to play these games, considering that Final Fantasy XV will take at least 100 hours to fully understand, and the fact that Dead Rising 4 is also coming out around that time as well, and that's my point.

Really? Of course I don't require everyone to play every single 2016 release, that's an insane point of view, there is so much garbage I wouldn't even want for free. But for those who want to play these end of the year releases, maybe people who take vacation to fully dive into FFXV, maybe people who don't care about RE7 or any other release after FFXV or Last Guardian, your reasoning on why an award show can't be in january or february is illogical.

January/February 2017 games actually do matter, because if people are busy with RE VII or any other of the dozen games released in those two months, there's a slim chance you're gonna wanna look back on the year prior, when you've got all these other games to look forward to in the current year.

How does that effect FFXV? It comes out in a few days, some people already have it, RE7 comes in the end of january, enough time to play FFXV at least as much to form an opinion on how much you like it. You act like people will completely forget how much they enjoyed 2016 releases on new years eve, 2017 releases are completely irrelevant in that matter.

• @bard91 Solid choices, nonetheless. I really want to play both of them, but I've been buried in the cavalcade of games this year.