Best Video Games of 2016

• @Kaminski It did, but wasn't that just a remake of the first game, based on the animated film?

• @BladedTech And for R&C, kinda. Many areas were reused, but there was so much new, it was practically a complete redesign. If you haven't played it, you can't rule it out. If you have, then have you played the original? The differences are pronounced and numerous enough for it to be a different game.

• @Brannox

1)Didn't know there was so much support behind having The Game Awards in January, quite honestly. As far as the examples go, I was only using those because of what was stated by another user.

2)Yeah, last year's The Game Awards left quite a bit of games out. As far as perceiving it as a look ahead, maybe that's just the general idea I have in my mind about having a game awards show in 2017 talk about 2016. It breaks my brain.

3)Just because a game releases in 2016 on a platform, it does not automatically qualify as a 2016 newly released video game. That's why I didn't put Darkest Dungeon on here. Ratchet & Clank, as I understand it, is disqualified due to it's tagline "The game based on the movie based on the game", putting it under the category of a remake.

4)Fair enough. I just look at the controversy with No Man's Sky, and I'm a bit more cautious about putting a lot of faith in games that have been in development with little to no word about it.

• @Brannox I guess, but it's just very thin ice here. I haven't had the time to buy it or play it. I should've been clearer that this also extends to remakes or re-imaginings.

• @BladedTech said in Best Video Games of 2016:

@Musou-Tensei said in Best Video Games of 2016:

@BladedTech said in Best Video Games of 2016:

@Musou-Tensei Giving everyone the chance to play all the nominees that aren't in the industry is, quite frankly, the wrong way to look at this. You're not voting for Best Video Game of 2016 when you Tweet a link for your choice, you're just simply stating a preference, as I understand it.

No it's the only logical way, else these circle jerks I mean game awards are completely pointless.

Name calling won't get you anywhere. Come on, man.

No name calling happened, Circle Jerk basically means preaching to the choir, which these industry funded game awards really are.

Furthermore, if you were to wait for the people who care about The Game Awards to play every single item on the roster, you wouldn't just be waiting until January or February. You'd be waiting until at least E3 2017 for everyone to play these games, considering that Final Fantasy XV will take at least 100 hours to fully understand, and the fact that Dead Rising 4 is also coming out around that time as well, and that's my point.

Really? Of course I don't require everyone to play every single 2016 release, that's an insane point of view, there is so much garbage I wouldn't even want for free. But for those who want to play these end of the year releases, maybe people who take vacation to fully dive into FFXV, maybe people who don't care about RE7 or any other release after FFXV or Last Guardian, your reasoning on why an award show can't be in january or february is illogical.

I didn't say that you're require everyone to play everything in 2016. In terms of garbage, I don't think much of the 2016 releases are garbage. Sometimes, you have undelivered promises or buggy games, but that doesn't make a game garbage. In terms of FFXV or Last Guardian, I don't find it illogical to say that these releases came way too late.

But they are still 2016 games, they are not too late, the show is simply to early.

@TokyoSlim OK. I just don't see any of those releases going on any "Best of" lists. I could be wrong, and I'd love to be wrong about those games, I just don't foresee any big shakeups here.

I'm sure FFXV will be in my top 10, I loved the 1st 2 demos (not bothering with the last one though since release is so close and it's basically just the beginning of the game) and pre-ordered it in june already and I had nothing negative to say about anything I've seen they have shown about the game in the last few weeks, most probably not #1 or even top 3, but top 10 for sure.
    Also what about Pokemon? It only just came out, I'm sure people will put it in their top 10s.

• @Musou-Tensei said in Best Video Games of 2016:

@Musou-Tensei said in Best Video Games of 2016:

@Musou-Tensei Giving everyone the chance to play all the nominees that aren't in the industry is, quite frankly, the wrong way to look at this. You're not voting for Best Video Game of 2016 when you Tweet a link for your choice, you're just simply stating a preference, as I understand it.

No it's the only logical way, else these circle jerks I mean game awards are completely pointless.

Name calling won't get you anywhere. Come on, man.

No name calling happened, Circle Jerk basically means preaching to the choir, which these industry funded game awards really are.

True, I wish they were more independent. However, they've been surprisingly great.

Furthermore, if you were to wait for the people who care about The Game Awards to play every single item on the roster, you wouldn't just be waiting until January or February. You'd be waiting until at least E3 2017 for everyone to play these games, considering that Final Fantasy XV will take at least 100 hours to fully understand, and the fact that Dead Rising 4 is also coming out around that time as well, and that's my point.

Really? Of course I don't require everyone to play every single 2016 release, that's an insane point of view, there is so much garbage I wouldn't even want for free. But for those who want to play these end of the year releases, maybe people who take vacation to fully dive into FFXV, maybe people who don't care about RE7 or any other release after FFXV or Last Guardian, your reasoning on why an award show can't be in january or february is illogical.

I didn't say that you're require everyone to play everything in 2016. In terms of garbage, I don't think much of the 2016 releases are garbage. Sometimes, you have undelivered promises or buggy games, but that doesn't make a game garbage. In terms of FFXV or Last Guardian, I don't find it illogical to say that these releases came way too late.

But they are still 2016 games, they are not too late, the show is simply to early.

Right and maybe the show might get pushed, considering the recent Nintendo debacle.

@TokyoSlim OK. I just don't see any of those releases going on any "Best of" lists. I could be wrong, and I'd love to be wrong about those games, I just don't foresee any big shakeups here.

I'm sure FFXV will be in my top 10, I loved the 1st 2 demos (not bothering with the last one though since release is so close and it's basically just the beginning of the game) and pre-ordered it in june already and I had nothing negative to say about anything I've seen they have shown about the game in the last few weeks, most probably not #1 or even top 3, but top 10 for sure.
    There was a third? Are you referring to Platinum Demo or the Japanese demo? As for your top ten, that's great! I'm glad you're so enthusiastic. For some reason, I just can't count these chickens before they hatch.
    Also what about Pokemon? It only just came out, I'm sure people will put it in their top 10s.

I'll agree on that on. Sun & Moon definitely needed to be in at least one category, considering their list had space for The Witcher III's DLC, Blood & Wine.

• @BladedTech True, but much as the awards in Jan breaks your brain, judging a game before it's out breaks mine. I understand trepidation, but at the same time, if the mindset is a game is going to fail before it's played, the brain will look for ways to reaffirm that position.

As far as Ratchet & Clank, I guess we must agree to disagree. The new version incorporates SO much from the various entries (Weapons, characters, etc.) while simultaneously including a completely revised take on the story, new weapons, locales, enemies, enhanced controls, the new outweighs.

For the tagline: The game IS based on the movie, because they tell the same story, but the movie is a MASSIVE let down (Like ALL video game movies). The movie is based off the game, because of the franchise, NOT because of a particularly released game.

You have a point about remasters, but if something is remade, it can still retain core pillars of the original property, identifying it as the original property, but with it being REMADE means it is a new take. Take the who-knows-when-it-will-be-released Final Fantasy VII: Remake. It's FF VII, but with a more fleshed out world, new combat system, fully voiced acted, new story content, etc.

I guess where I'm having trouble is your #3 point: For early access and pre-released games, I wholeheartedly agree; Everything else counts. I can't speak to Darkest Dungeon because that is a game that hasn't ever appealed to me, so under no context will I try to disqualify or support its inclusion. As you have said, you have reasons for not playing the game, but if you don't know, then you can't make a definitive, declarative statement. Doing so opens you up to criticisms and the potential to weakened arguments (though I'm speaking in the broadest sense, this is a thread about the top 2016 games we've played, so this is an opinion based thread to begin with).

• Also, if the point of this list is to see what OTHER people think should be awarded, you placing arbitrary restrictions on the lists that the game awards themselves don't place doesn't seem very productive.

Rez and Ratchet and Clank, as well as Witcher III: Blood and Wine, and WOW Legion for example are nominated for awards next weekend. Any game or DLC with a commercial release date in 2016 i believe, is eligible.

The game awards also go November to November. So things from November and December 2015 are also eligible as 2016 games. Things after November 1st will be 2017 games. So, see you next year Pokemon!

• I can't pick ten games (since I haven't played enough of 2016 releases) but these are for sure memorable vidya games:

1. Dark Souls 3
    2. Overwatch
    3. DOOM
    4. Firewatch

I played Gravity Rush Remastered but that doesn't count (damn you @BladedTech :P ), Butcher (didn't beat it), Salt & Sanctuary (didn't beat it) and I am currently playing Battlefield 1. I am having a good time with it but I don't think I will put it on my top ten list.
    I am only willing to play FFXV this year (this will be my first Final Fantasy, youpi yay !) so I guess my list is almost done. Oh, and I stil have to play Uncharted 4 (and it will definitely be on the list) !

• @Brannox said in Best Video Games of 2016:

@BladedTech True, but much as the awards in Jan breaks your brain, judging a game before it's out breaks mine. I understand trepidation, but at the same type, if the mindset is a game is going to fail before it's played, the brain will look for ways to reaffirm that position.

That's....actually an excellent point. I concede.

As far as Ratchet & Clank, I guess we must agree to disagree. The new version incorporates SO much from the various entries (Weapons, characters, etc.) while simultaneously including a completely revised take on the story, new weapons, locales, enemies, enhanced controls, the new outweighs.

I'm willing to consider it. Fine, it can go in.

For the tagline: The game IS based on the movie, because they tell the same story, but the movie is a MASSIVE let down (Like ALL video game movies). The movie is based off the game, because of the franchise, NOT because of a particularly released game.

See the above lack of argument.

You have a point about remasters, but if something is remade, it can still retain core pillars of the original property, identifying it as the original property, but with it being REMADE means it is a new take. Take the who-knows-when-it-will-be-released Final Fantasy VII: Remake. It's FF VII, but with a more fleshed out world, new combat system, fully voiced acted, new story content, etc.

Oh, I wholeheartedly agree. When FF VII Remake releases, I'm willing to consider it. I've changed my stance. Apologies to the kind gentleman.

I guess where I'm having trouble is your #3 point: For early access and pre-released games, I wholeheartedly agree; Everything else counts. I can't speak to Darkest Dungeon because that is a game that hasn't ever appealed to me, so under no context will I try to disqualify or support its inclusion. As you have said, you have reasons for not playing the game, but if you don't know, then you can't make a definitive, declarative statement. Doing so opens you up to criticisms and the potential to weakened arguments (though I'm speaking in the broadest sense, this is a thread about the top 2016 games we've played, so this is an opinion based thread to begin with).

It's not that I'm not playing the game, I'm just not considering it as a new release, as Darkest Dungeon has been "out" since 2015. That's the one and only reason. As for not playing games like Civilization VI or Stardew Valley or Ratchet & Clank, I probably should abstain from said arguments.

• FFXV and the Last Guardian would very likely be on any top 10 list I'd make for the year but for now I'd say

Nights of Azure
    Yakuza 5 (this was december 2015 but it was too late for last year)
    Super Robot Wars OG The Moon Dwellers
    Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
    Gravity Rush Remastered

would be in it for sure

• @Browarr said in Best Video Games of 2016:

I can't pick ten games (since I haven't played enough of 2016 releases) but these are for sure memorable vidya games:

1. Dark Souls 3
    2. Overwatch
    3. DOOM
    4. Firewatch

Can't speak to DSIII, but I love all of the other three!

I played Gravity Rush Remastered but that doesn't count (damn you @BladedTech :P ), Butcher (didn't beat it), Salt & Sanctuary (didn't beat it) and I am currently playing Battlefield 1. I am having a good time with it but I don't think I will put it on my top ten list.

I have too, but I have to adhere to my own rules. GRR is pretty great since I didn't own a PS Vita until very recently. Otherwise, I would've loved to put it on my list. Same with Modern Warfare Remastered. As for Butcher and S&S, I'll have to buy those games to see what the hubbub is all about.

I am only willing to play FFXV this year (this will be my first Final Fantasy, youpi yay !) so I guess my list is almost done. Oh, and I stil have to play Uncharted 4 (and it will definitely be on the list) !

I just can't play FFXV knowing that there exists a boss that takes 3 realtime days to defeat.

• My personal top 10:

1. The Witness
    2. Dark Souls 3
    3. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
    4. Titanfall 2
    5. Overwatch
    6. Inside
    7. Ratchet and Clank
    8. Trackmania Turbo
    9. Furi
    10. Tricky Towers
      I've played a lot of games this year, but obviously not all of them.

I still want to play: Planet Coaster, Dishonored 2, Doom, Superhot, Quantum Break, Attack on Titan, Cluster Truck, Civilization VI, Stephen's Sausage Roll, Hyper Light Drifter, The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy XV and Watch Dogs 2.

• @TokyoSlim said in Best Video Games of 2016:

Also, if the point of this list is to see what OTHER people think should be awarded, you placing arbitrary restrictions on the lists that the game awards themselves don't place doesn't seem very productive.

Apologies, this was not my intent and I have since retracted the remake clause.

Rez and Ratchet and Clank, as well as Witcher III: Blood and Wine, and WOW Legion for example are nominated for awards next weekend. Any game or DLC with a retail release date in 2016 i believe, is eligible.

DLC should never be on any list, period. I don't know a lot about game development and will never claim to. I just think that building upon a thing that already has core mechanics, UI, etc., is much easier to do than plan all that out and build from the ground up. In regards to Blood and Wine, if this was The Witcher IV, then it'd count. No less. In terms of Rez, I can't speak to that game. All I know is it was out on 360 beforehand, so that's why, in this instance, I wouldn't accept a nomination of Infinite for a Best of 2016 award.

• @Sieghardt said in Best Video Games of 2016:

FFXV and the Last Guardian would very likely be on any top 10 list I'd make for the year but for now I'd say

Nights of Azure
    Yakuza 5 (this was december 2015 but it was too late for last year)
    Super Robot Wars OG The Moon Dwellers
    Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
    Gravity Rush Remastered

Not familiar with most of these titles, but I am familiar with Gravity Rush Remastered and Yakuza 5. Neither can be included, as per the rules. I'm willing to make adjustments if I'm completely wrong, so if I'm wrong, please do tell me why.

would be in it for sure

• @BladedTech What I'm saying is that these are YOUR biases, not anything that has to do with actual game awards. You're dictating what people can put on their lists because you don't like it. Not because they don't belong on awards lists. I've just shown that they not only belong on the lists, they are up for awards on them.

If this is to see what games should get awards, you can't just exclude games that are up for awards.

3/5 of the Best RPG category would be disqualified under your rules, for example.
    Dark Souls 3 (FromSoftware/Bandai Namco Entertainment)
    Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (Eidos Montreal/Square Enix)
    The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine (CD Projekt Red/Warner Bros. Interactiv
    World of Warcraft: Legion (Blizzard Entertainment)
    Xenoblade Chronicles X (Monolith Soft/Nintendo)e Entertainment)

@BladedTech What I'm saying is that these are YOUR biases, not anything that has to do with actual game awards. You're dictating what people can put on their lists because you don't like it. Not because they don't belong on awards lists. I've just proven that they not only belong on the lists, they are up for awards on them.

Everyone brings their own biases, but I'm not denying anyone their games that actually have come out this year.

If this is to see what games should get awards, you can't just exclude games that are up for awards.

I think the ones in TGA 2016 should be excluded that aren't new or are DLC.

• @BladedTech

Then you should explain why your opinion is more important than someone's who believes otherwise.

Your entire premise is what should be awarded. You don't get to dictate that, that's what you're asking our opinions for.

@BladedTech

Then you should explain why your opinion is more important than someone's who believes otherwise.

I don't think my opinion is more important at all. I'll just say that when you name something The Game Awards, maybe keep it down to actual games, not DLC?

• This whole premise is a flawed mess.
    I'm going to bail now. Cheers.