Best Video Games of 2016

• @Sieghardt said in Best Video Games of 2016:

FFXV and the Last Guardian would very likely be on any top 10 list I'd make for the year but for now I'd say

Nights of Azure
    Yakuza 5 (this was december 2015 but it was too late for last year)
    Super Robot Wars OG The Moon Dwellers
    Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
    Gravity Rush Remastered

Not familiar with most of these titles, but I am familiar with Gravity Rush Remastered and Yakuza 5. Neither can be included, as per the rules. I'm willing to make adjustments if I'm completely wrong, so if I'm wrong, please do tell me why.

would be in it for sure

• @BladedTech What I'm saying is that these are YOUR biases, not anything that has to do with actual game awards. You're dictating what people can put on their lists because you don't like it. Not because they don't belong on awards lists. I've just shown that they not only belong on the lists, they are up for awards on them.

If this is to see what games should get awards, you can't just exclude games that are up for awards.

3/5 of the Best RPG category would be disqualified under your rules, for example.
    Dark Souls 3 (FromSoftware/Bandai Namco Entertainment)
    Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (Eidos Montreal/Square Enix)
    The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine (CD Projekt Red/Warner Bros. Interactiv
    World of Warcraft: Legion (Blizzard Entertainment)
    Xenoblade Chronicles X (Monolith Soft/Nintendo)e Entertainment)

• @TokyoSlim said in Best Video Games of 2016:

@BladedTech What I'm saying is that these are YOUR biases, not anything that has to do with actual game awards. You're dictating what people can put on their lists because you don't like it. Not because they don't belong on awards lists. I've just proven that they not only belong on the lists, they are up for awards on them.

Everyone brings their own biases, but I'm not denying anyone their games that actually have come out this year.

If this is to see what games should get awards, you can't just exclude games that are up for awards.

I think the ones in TGA 2016 should be excluded that aren't new or are DLC.

• @BladedTech

Then you should explain why your opinion is more important than someone's who believes otherwise.

Your entire premise is what should be awarded. You don't get to dictate that, that's what you're asking our opinions for.

• @TokyoSlim said in Best Video Games of 2016:

@BladedTech

Then you should explain why your opinion is more important than someone's who believes otherwise.

I don't think my opinion is more important at all. I'll just say that when you name something The Game Awards, maybe keep it down to actual games, not DLC?

• This whole premise is a flawed mess.
    I'm going to bail now. Cheers.

• @TokyoSlim Cheers to you too. Sorry you bailed :/

1. The Last Guardian
    2. Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
    3. Inside
    4. BoxBox Boy
    5. Thumper
    6. Severed
    7. Paper Mario Color Splash
    8. Unravel
    9. Furi
    10. Hyper Light Drifter

I think the only game on that list that you would think goes against your guidelines is Odin Sphere Leifthrasir. I say "you would think" because I don't believe it does given what it is. I don't know how familiar you are with the game but there was a version of this game just called "Odin Sphere" released back in 2007 on playstation 2. Overall both versions have the same story and same art style altho the Leifthrasir art was remastered but the game itself is much more than a remaster. I'd say the correct term is a "remake". The combat was changed substantially to be more fast paced and combo oriented, new enemies and sub bosses were added. More sections were added to the levels. The ability and skill system were redesigned. New music was created. Both versions are so different that they included the old version of the game with the new version but both still having the updated graphics.

That's my reasoning anyway :/ It's ok if you don't agree. Everyone has their views and that's good, keeps things fresh and evolving :)

• @PrinceofTheUniverse I'll allow it.

Leifthaiser is a legitimately new game based on the amount of content within. Any chance I can still nab the LE?

• @BladedTech Cool! and YEP <---- story book edition right here. I think you can probably get it from target, walmart and toys r us to if amazon isn't your preference.

1. Dark souls 3
    2. I am setsuna
    3. Star ocean 5
    4. Digimon story cyber sleuth
    5. Cod iw

• All of these are in no particular order.

1. The Witness
    2. Ratchet & Clank
    3. Pokémon Sun
    4. Doom
    5. Batman VR
    6. Overcooked
    7. Kirby: Planet Robobot
    8. Small Radios Big Televisions - personal fav!
    9. Attack on Titan
    10. Kôna: Day One

• I intend to tho blog here about this, but in case procrastination takes over, here's my list:

1. Dark souls 3
    2. Oxenfree
    3. Valley
    4. Titanfall 2
    5. Battlefield 1
    6. Civilization 6
    7. Superhot
    8. Overwatch
    9. Fragments of him
    10. No man's sky

• Its Doom follow closely by Hitman.

• Inside is probably the best-crafted single thing this year, and it's not like you can argue that Uncharted or Dark Souls required more dev time from their respective studios.

Dishonored 2 and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided are good in a yingyang sense. Deus Ex has a better story (god did D2's intro suck compared to the first game, which was pretty basic in its own right) and Dishonored 2 has much, much better gameplay (I didn't ask to fall 20 feet because you can't use abilities reliably midair, Adam). I think they would need to excel in both categories to be GOTY, but every gaming outlet needs a stealth genre award this year. No "RPG," "action-adventure" bullshit — there are other genres to use.

• This was a weird year for me. The games I expected to love the most I ended up just being so-so on, while the games I was way less hyped for ended up as some of my favorites. This is my list so far:

1. Pokemon Sun/Moon
    2. Zero Time Dilemma
    3. Dragon Quest Builders
    4. Rhythm Heaven Megamix
    5. Dark Souls III
    6. Fire Emblem Fates
    7. I Am Setsuna
    8. Picross 3D Round 2
    9. Gravity Rush
    10. Paper Mario Color Splash

• Yeah, same as many others, I think it doesn't make sense to have a "Best of 2016" list exclude games released after mid-November.

And if a DLC like Blood and Wine is so impressive that it's actually better than many "full" games, then it deserves to be recognized for it.

So I also believe we should reconvene in January if we're going to make a list.

• Super interesting discussions all around. I having nothing of interest to add to whats already been said except to throw my hat into the January pile as well. Just makes sense to me to have the awards for GOTY of 2016 to be after 2016 has actually ended .

While I'm on a roll with potentially inflammatory remarks I would also like to declare that DLC should totally count as evidenced by what others have said; specifically Blood and Wine for the Witcher 3.
    Remakes are a tough one... if its an actual new game (new story, new dialogue, etc.) then I think it counts as a new game. If its just the same game upres'd then nope.

@TheOhrenberger I had heard you were a super into battleborn, are you sure your list isn't a typo? :wink:

Do you guys think VR should have its own category? I particularly liked call of the starseed and holopoint but that absolute best from a VR perspective for me is sandbox universe and tiltbrush

• In no order Uncharted 4, Doom, Yakuza Kiwami ,Overwatch, Furi, Blood & Wine, and Battlefield 1 spring to mind, although the last major games for me are about to be released so I need to see how FFXV, The Last Guardian, Shantea:Half Genie Hero, and Yakuza 6 turn out.