What camera, and mics were they using for their E3 coverage?

• The camera that Jones was holding in the newest Cup of Jones, and the mics used for E3 and everything else.

• I believe Brandon at one point mentioned a small mic he uses but I don't think the team has ever published a complete rundown of the tech they use :)

Or maybe somebody else know of something they published elsewhere?

• I'd really be interested in a rundown of the equipment they use.

• I know the mics are AKG P220's, but I'm not sure what the camera is. This Patreon post shows their new equipment, if that helps any.

• Easy Ally

Mics: AGK P220

Mixer: Yamaha MG12XU

Podcast camera: Super old Sony EX1

Cameras for Huber Syndrome, Frame Trap, Easy Update are all Canon or Sony little point and shoots that were like $149 to $300 each.

Easy Update uses a Zoom H4N for audio, frame trap and Huber Syndrome use the Zoom H6

Stream Mic is a Yeti

We've got Sony headphones but I'm not sure the make or model.

The PC has an i7, Nvidia 980, Elgato HD Pro capture card, an SSD and a spinning HD, and 32 gigs of RAM. (I think that's right)

We've got a bunch of XLR cables, HDMI cables, etc.

Every game console imaginable pretty much.

Scan converter thingies and Aver Media capture boxes to capture gameplay footage.

I think that's mostly it.

<3 Ian

• @IanHinck thanks! Knew you were the guy to ask.

• @IanHinck said in What camera, and mics were they using for their E3 coverage?:

Cameras for Huber Syndrome, Frame Trap, Easy Update are all Canon or Sony little point and shoots that were like $149 to $300 each.

Easy Update uses a Zoom H4N for audio, frame trap and Huber Syndrome use the Zoom H6

Stream Mic is a Yeti

The PC has an i7, Nvidia 980, Elgato HD Pro capture card, an SSD and a spinning HD, and 32 gigs of RAM. (I think that's right)

Scan converter thingies and Aver Media capture boxes to capture gameplay footage.

<3 Ian

Only question I have is that Brandon used a much better camera during his Cup of Jones. Its a much larger one as well. Know which one that is?

• @IanHinck You missed one thing. The only important thing worth mentioning.

What Brand was that furry mic cover on your Zoom H4N!?!?!?

• Based on some of the stickers I saw on the headphones they look like the MDR-7506 model from Sony. I think I've seen Blood wear one from HyperX as well.

• @IanHinck What software did you use for moving around boxes of text etc. or cut-out pieces like the conference timers?

• @IanHinck said in What camera, and mics were they using for their E3 coverage?:

Stream Mic is a Yeti

<3 Ian

I was going to make this thread, and get answers like this, but now I'm confused!

How did you guys get the video quality the way that you do? YouTube is mostly HD/1080p now. How much did this "super old" Sony EX1 cost you guys? Is there an upgrade for that, or a better camera that can do HD/1080p quality videos?

I was looking at doing videos of these types, and trying to learn what makes YouTubers like AlphaOmegaSin, GameTrailers, and Easy Allies such a quality place to get video...?

• @TrySpace XSplit. Damiani actually told me that one.

• Global Moderator

@Carlos

I'm not an expert, but Sony EX1 s originally retailed close to like $7000 usd back when HD video was actually a hard thing to come by. You can buy used ones for like $2000 or less, but for that money you could get cameras whose specs would usually meet or surpass the specs of the old ex1.

It has SDI out-though, so you can connect it to tricasters to create that true broadcast feel

• @Ochi said in What camera, and mics were they using for their E3 coverage?:

@Carlos

I'm not an expert, but Sony EX1 s originally retailed close to like $7000 usd back when HD video was actually a hard thing to come by. You can buy used ones for like $2000 or less, but for that money you could get cameras whose specs would usually meet or surpass the specs of the old ex1.

It has SDI out-though, so you can connect it to tricasters to create that true broadcast feel

Can you recommend a camera that "meet or surpass" those specs? Or anyone for that matter?

Ideally, I'd spend at least a thousand, or something. Nothing too... crazy on specs. As long as it's 1080p/HD ready, I'm good. But if a good 1080p/HD camera costs $7000, then I guess I'll have to invest in it.

• Global Moderator

@Carlos said in What camera, and mics were they using for their E3 coverage?:

@Ochi said in What camera, and mics were they using for their E3 coverage?:

@Carlos

Can you recommend a camera that "meet or surpass" those specs? Or anyone for that matter?

Ideally, I'd spend at least a thousand, or something. Nothing too... crazy on specs. As long as it's 1080p/HD ready, I'm good. But if a good 1080p/HD camera costs $7000, then I guess I'll have to invest in it.

you could theoretically use an iPhone camera to shoot 1080p HD video. There's no shortage of cameras that meet that baseline on the market right now, the thing that's tricky lies in all kinds of other specs that are much harder to describe and understand.

Honestly if you don't actively need to "broadcast" your video footage, a good DSLR can definitely suffice. If you need to actively get a video feed from the camera ala streaming or the like that gets a bit trickier.

Within the $1000 range I'd put most of the low to mid-range Canon and Nikon DSLRs up there along with the Panasonic GH4 if you care about pretty images for recording and editing videos that don't involve long observation.

Just keep in mind a DSLR is different from a fully dedicated video camera like the EX-1, as DSLRs are really more for photography than video, and the manufacturers tend to design for that fact internally with regards to file type and size, etc. That said many student film makers use them and their videos can look pretty good if they know what they're doing and have things like additional lenses, etc.

As for dedicated video camera's that's something where my feeble expertise falls abysmally short. There are lots of lower grade stuff out there, go-pros, some mid-rangy 2000-4000 dollar cameras and then there's like the $60,000 and up camera's actual movie companies use

• Updates to equipment in the future? Podcast camera maybe since it seems to be so old?

• @Ochi @Carlos DSLRs are getting pretty bulky in relation to what they can do compared to mirrorless system cameras. Below USD 1'000 for a total set with body and lens you might look at a sony a6000, or a6300 if you can stretch to USD 1'300ish. The 6000 is not the newest camera anymore but with a decent lens it gives you a lot of options.

If money is no object the Sony A7Sii is probably one of the best system cameras with video features out there, though if you're not interested in 4K it's probably overkill.

If a system camera is too complicated I'd go for something like a Sony RX10, either mark 1 or mark 2. It's a great blend of photo and video features. If you're interested in an in-depth look at any of these cameras focussed on video I suggest the youtube channel from The Camera Store.

And yes, there are other brands ... I'm just invested in Sony's camera eco system and think they have some of the best mirrorless cameras out there with the alpha and rx models :P

• Global Moderator

@Griffin said in What camera, and mics were they using for their E3 coverage?:

@Ochi @Carlos DSLRs are getting pretty bulky in relation to what they can do compared to mirrorless system cameras.

To be fair, I did mention the GH4 :P

• I'd personally like to see a new camera eventually for streams. The focus issue was apparent during the E3 streams. It was enjoyable overall, but hard to ignore.