Final Fantasy XV reviews are out

• You can find them over there:
    http://opencritic.com/game/1512/final-fantasy-xv

I recommend you to read this review since it is the less positive of them all:
    http://thisgengaming.com/2016/11/28/final-fantasy-xv-review-a-disappointing-experience-for-a-first-time-player-xbox-one/

I also read a french review (on gamekult.com) but since not everyone can read french, I sum up (with pros and cons) the review for you:
    First things first, this is a highly trustworthy and relevant website (based on an independent speech from editors) and the reviewer gave FFXV a 6 out of 10.

Pros:

• Solid gameplay
    • Endearing characters and well written conversations
    • Good sense of adventure and well done road trip
    • Exceptional soundtrack
    • Pretty impressive technique (game itself and invocations) but laggy
    • First part open world

Cons:

• Plot full of holes
    • Last part linear and full of cutscenes
    • The open world part is pretty much empty and filled with basic quests (there are still some good quests tough)
    • Driving is linear as well (don't think of freely drive)
    • Short (reviewer beat the game with 30 hours and did most of side quests)

As always, this is only an opinion based on a single person but cons are always worthy to note as you can disagree with them and know what to expect bad from a game because reading a review where the reviewer says everything is great will not learn you anything. At least this is my point of view.

• 30 hours? If that number was to be confirmed, that would actually be a selling point for me. I really can't put 100 hours in games anymore, but a condensed experience like this would tempt me a lot more!

• @Axel That would also be good for me to be honest, I'm still not picking this up sometime soon, but it is definitively more likely I play it if it is not super long.

• Global Moderator

I feel that when reviewers say a certain time, I always take that + like 20%. I guess I tend to cruise around too much in games and sometimes get stuck looking at details in the enviornment and so forth! so this will most likely take me a solid 45 hours.

• @Browarr said in Final Fantasy XV reviews are out:

I also read a french review (on gamekult.com) but since not everyone can read french, I sum up (with pros and cons) the review for you:
    First things first, this is a highly trustworthy and relevant website (based on an independent speech from editors) and the reviewer gave FFXV a 6 out of 10.

What...? No offense but I have followed gamekult for years and years and I would not use those words to describe them. They generally don't give games "good" scores (their most common score is a 7, even for many popular games).
    A score by itself is also useless.

I also don't see why you'd resort to dumbing a review down into a pro/con list. The point of a review is to read it so you can get a solid understanding of what the game is like.

• that 30 hours seems like they just rushed throught the game every other review i watched/read has said 40-50 just for main story

also its metacritic right now is 86 right where i thought it would be dont expect the return to form from 4-9 here expect something on the level of x and 12

• I'm pretty hyped for this, but I made the call today to cancel my preordered copy and just pick this up when I get back from my trip next week. I don't want to play half a night and then put it down for a week.

Also, an 86 is really good on today's scale. I'm not sure what people are expecting.

• @suplextrain
    Don't know what to say about Gamekult not being relevant and trustworthy, they are passionate about their job (and video games), they always tend to be highly critical on their reviews and with their premium content, they are creating pure journalism content (interviews, retrospectives, businesses articles and many others). I don't know how you would describe them.

Concerning the score, I just posted it for the sake of posting it (since I send OpenCritic, which consists of aggregating scores and posting review summary). But again, we are only speaking about scores.

I absolutely disagree on Gamekult giving bad scores. Just look at their recent reviews: Watch Dogs 2 got an 8, Dishonored 2 an 8, Battlefield 1 a 9, Persona 5 a 9. And I am only speaking about big productions.

I only posted pros/cons to not translate and copy/paste the review. I am 100% on your side where you say reviews are meaningful on scores.

• The Pros & Cons are actually a good amalgamation of common threads touch on in reviews from Gamespot, IGN, Polygon, Kotaku, and Game Informer.

Also, 30 hours was the story portion I've read with 40-50 hours being the average and 60 being story, as many side quests as possible and end game content like secret dungeons and super bosses.

All in all, I'm really happy to see how it turned out. Can't wait to get my copy and play it for myself.

• my ebgames (canadian gamestop) just called and my deluxe edition is ready for pick up tomorrow at 10 am

• @Brannox As I said on an another topic, this is going to be my first Final Fantasy, so I can't wait to play it.
    But I'll have to wait December to play it, since I already bought Battlefield 1 this month (and I restrict myself to one game per month).
    And the road trip/adventure side looks really neat.

• @Browarr said in Final Fantasy XV reviews are out:

@suplextrain
    Don't know what to say about Gamekult not being relevant and trustworthy, they are passionate about their job (and video games), they always tend to be highly critical on their reviews and with their premium content, they are creating pure journalism content (interviews, retrospectives, businesses articles and many others). I don't know how you would describe them.

I don' see how any of this is relevant when it comes to reviews. Really what is this relevancy and trustworthyness you're talking about? Are you implying that they're the only (or one of the few) relevant and trustworthy sites on the net or something? Why?
    What matters is the reviews themselves.

Concerning the score, I just posted it for the sake of posting it (since I send OpenCritic, which consists of aggregating scores and posting review summary). But again, we are only speaking about scores.

Scores don't tell you anything about the game and you already linked open critic.

I absolutely disagree on Gamekult giving bad scores. Just look at their recent reviews: Watch Dogs 2 got an 8, Dishonored 2 an 8, Battlefield 1 a 9, Persona 5 a 9. And I am only speaking about big productions.

Disagree all you want, it's a fact. They have leaned towards lower scores for years and years now. Will there be games that gets a 8 or a 9 every now and then? Sure. But their reviews are very sporadic (naturally because they have multiple reviewers, but some of them can sometimes make odd reviews).

In any case, the point was that I don't see why you regard gamekult so highly or why you'd bring up a french only site when you first linked open critic.

@FF7Cloud said in Final Fantasy XV reviews are out:

that 30 hours seems like they just rushed throught the game every other review i watched/read has said 40-50 just for main story

Difficult to say. Ben from EZA said it took him around 50 hours on twitter.
    I think FF15 is a game you can either rush through or take your time with since some reviewers finish it around 20 or so hours and others +40.
    Feels like it will be a divisive game.

• Well that french site gave World of Final Fantasy a 6 and Trails of Cold Steel a 5 (both 10s for me)... which should mean I will love FFXV.

Mine was shipped today and hopefully arrives tomorrow, right on time since I'm done with WoFF now.

• @Musou-Tensei said in Final Fantasy XV reviews are out:

Well that french site gave World of Final Fantasy a 6 and Trails of Cold Steel a 5 (both 10s for me)... which should mean I will love FFXV.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way. lol

• I think you guys are taking my website/review too personally. I just wanted to post it in order to bring a really critical review to see what's wrong with the game, nothing more. And I know this website is always bringing (even sometimes baseless) games problems up, which I found interesting and even important if someone is reluctant buying a game (which could result in saving some cash).

• I have been expecting a bottom tier JRPG experience and that is probably what i will get tomorrow,we'll see. If the game end up being half as good as Tokyo Mirage Sessions or better than World of Final Fantasy i'll be surprised.

• anyone look at the trphy list yet seems like a awful easy platinum

• @FF7Cloud isn't it the 72 real life hours boss fight, or at least part of it, doesn't seem that simple to me

• @Stephleref For me it often does actually.

• @bard91 is that what adamtiose is nvm then lol