The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS/WiiU)

• I'm hyped beyond belief! Really intrigued by the bird people and floating city.

• I just can't get excited for this game.

One of the things I liked about the Zelda games is how they didn't fall into the same holes as all the open world sandbox type games out there and now with the open world fatigue Nintendo decided to make Zelda open world?

• @suplextrain Yeah, but it's Zelda so it'll be 10x better than The Witcher, FFXV, and Fallout put together.

Seriously, there's a lot of smart choices they're showing off (like the Elder Scrolls-esque race-themed equipment sets).

• This will be the first time I ever think, say, or type this, so please bear with me. I am excited about an upcoming Zelda game. Woof, that feels strange.

I always loved the allure of the very first title in the franchise. You get dropped into a world, you explore at your own pace, and you uncover secrets. That particular sense of adventure seemed to get further and further removed as the series progressed, becoming much more linear in nature, with the few sporadic side quests sprinkled in because Zelda. This looks like a return to form and it's just refreshing.

Plus, that art style. Too good.

• @SabotageTheTruth I'm in the same boat. Legend of Zelda isn't a series I grew up with, so I don't have the same emotional attachment that many do. Breath of the Wild, though, is one that I'm pumped for. With it being what seems to be a return to the spirit of the original, maybe that will let me see in the series what people first saw in it 30 years ago.

• Yeah, well, non-linearity — or a anime art style for that matter — aren't what has comprised Zelda's quality up until this point. It's been entertaining narratives, a good combat system with great enemy variety, and some sick sick puzzles and level design (environmental interaction specifically).

That being said, I am obviously jazzed for Breath of the Wild. More that they're expanding your character's range of interactions with the environment, as well as playing up the nature theme, which Zelda has always courted (and far, far too few open world games pursue). I hope the dungeons and puzzles are up to snuff (we haven't seen either yet). Still, the Far Cry-like outposts are no slouch in the combat department:

• Contrary to popular belief, the Let's play video actually de-hyped me. It does nothing that would be special to me.

• @Nillend I mean, lightning rods. As in magical canes that cast bolts of lightning at fools. Also the light arrows turned lightning arrows look really cool. Much more was in the trailer, though, I admit.

Anything new since E3 is good to me (the video that came out around the Switch reveal was really bland). Plus, we get new info in just a month — and a delay!

• @Haru17 Look, I'm happy that you're excited about the game, but I advise you to temper you expectations a little.

@Haru17 said in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has a good trailer (or two):

@suplextrain Yeah, but it's Zelda so it'll be 10x better than The Witcher, FFXV, and Fallout put together.

Making a statement like that seems really irrational to me. It comes to personal preference here, so while this might be the perfect game for you, it won't surpass any of the other three you named here. I still hope that the game will be good, but c'mon...

• One really encouraging thing to come out of this gameplay video is that the overworld itself is finally exciting!

I've always found the overworld to be the weakest part of Zelda games, especially the 3D ones. It felt like a drag I had to get through to get to the real meat of the game: the dungeons. Although Skyward Sword made great improvements on that front.

So to see that the overworld offers so much freedom and opportunities, a la Skyrim/Far Cry, is making me veeeery optimistic.

• @Nillend Well, right out of the gate the combat is 10-times better than anything in any of those games, each with their own finicky fighting. And then there's walking. Walking looks responsive and tactile, while it was always poorly designed in Witcher and Final Fantasy 15 zooms the camera out a bit too much, with bushes cluttering the screen and obscuring your character's place in many areas of the open world. Visual overload / confusion is something that doesn't get talked about much by the mainstream press, but games like Zelda and Skyrim avoid it expertly. Last but not least, Fallout 4 is a non-VR first-person game, so a sense of place (i.e.: where your character's feet are) is inherently hard to establish. And that world definitely has the whole visual confusion problem.

Are you really coming at me, saying that freaking Zelda won't kick the shit out of this upstart PC dev who couldn't figure out combat systems in 2007, much less console games in 2015!? (Hint: You make the text larger.) Final Fantasy 15 I love, and is probably my GOTY this year, but it is an ambitious, hard to control action game and RPG-lite at best. And Bethesda games are some of my favorites, but Fallout still compares a little poorly to Elder Scrolls. They haven't figured out a replacement archetype for mage yet, and are still a little shakey on action mechanics generally.

C'mon yourself, man. Go play some Zelda. Twilight Princess. Rant over!

• Hmmm was that Zelda, Female Link, or has Linkle become cannon to the main series? For some reason I feel all 3 are correct.
    Nice to see NPC's and towns, although the fountain sure did look like the one from TP.

• Global Moderator

I'll give you that they are following Bethesda in one department.. performance. Whatever about Switch, the WiiU looks like it's stuggling big time.

• I'm betting money on it having a bare bones story just like MGSV and FFXV.

Bethesda, what have you inspired?!

• Global Moderator

Do people genuinely play Zelda for story?

• @Haru17 I would continue this debate, but I disagree practically about everything you just said. And there is probably nothing you can say to convince me otherwise. It comes down to personal preference I guess.
    As for your challange to go play zelda: Nope. I believe there are many other games that do everything that Zelda does but better. As someone who hasent played this franchise, it does nothing to appeal to me. I'm sure it is great, if you're already engaged in it, but I don't intend to spend 300$ next year (game plus console) just to play a game I'm not certain I'll like.

• @tokeeffe9 Well, yeah. People like to discuss that stupid timeline shit don't they?

• Global Moderator

@Art Sure but I thought everyone agreed it was nonsense anyway.

I haven't played enough Zelda's to know if the story is something that's particularly interesting in any of them. The few I've played have all been pretty much the same which isn't a surprise going by the way Nintendo do storytelling in general.

I do want to play Majora's Mask though which does seem to be somewhat unique in comparison to the rest.

• @Haru17 said in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has a good trailer (or two):

Are you really coming at me, saying that freaking Zelda won't kick the shit out

Zelda really isn't that amazing of a series. It has had a lot of ups and downs and the latter entries haven't exactly been stellar.
    Now you've made it clear that you disagree, but the way you're describing Breath of the Wild only makes me feel that you should pull back your expectations a bit. I feel some people looking at BotW see what they want the game to be, not what they're gonna get.

@tokeeffe9 said in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has a good trailer (or two):

Do people genuinely play Zelda for story?

If you wanted a Zelda with a story (and higher difficulty plus better puzzles) you would play Alundra. That series has never had a good story. It has done some interesting stuff with games like Majora's Mask or Link's Awakening but the Zelda series is pretty much exclusively about the gameplay and world.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.