The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS/WiiU)

• @Musou-Tensei said in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has a good trailer (or two):

Glad I'm not a fanboy anymore

you keep saying that as if you need reassurance from everyone else that you're "not a fanboy anymore" as you claim. you were even saying it constantly a year ago before GT got shutdown.

• @Musou-Tensei
    Yeah that one is a little too vague.

DLC pack 1 seems kinda weak, with hard mode, and the cave of trials sounding like something that should either be on the Disc/Cart or patched in. Unless the Cave of Trials ends up being some 500 level thing, with scenarios that we normally wouldn't encounter during normal gameplay, and maybe a few special bosses to spice things up (come on Chicken Tornado)

Pack 2 however has has me intrigued, Ideally id love for the second DLC to include a new region (and it could for all we know)

• @Yoshi I identify as ex-Nintendo fanboy-kin, my pronouns are ex-Nintendo fanboy/former Nintendo fanboy.

@DMCMaster Somehow I doubt they will give you an entire new region.

• @Musou-Tensei
    True, still wishful thinking.

• I actually posted this earlier today:

"...a new feature for the in-game map."

Gosh that's some inscrutable language, but let's try anyway!

'In-game map' presumably specifies that the update will be to the existing map of Hyrule, as marketing departments typically use 'new area' for entirely new locations. It would be very funny if they were referring to the literal Sheikah Slate map, but I get the feeling they're talking about adding to the world.

Unfortunately 'feature' is as ambiguous as they come. It could be a new physical system like weather, a single new point of interest or many, or even just an NPC or vendor. Who knows, but this is one of the most intriguing points about the new expansion, besides of course what kind of side story they'll tell.

• Banned

The new feature is probably something like "extra zoom" or "mark enemies" or "reveal hidden objects".

Whatever it is I don't like how a supposed basic gameplay feature is locked behind dlc. That along with a new hard mode is not something you sell.

The new story content is fine tho.

• @Art Do you honestly think it is literally a feature for the Sheikah Slate map interface?

It's like you guys think Nintendo doesn't have something to prove. This is the first instance of DLC in a mainline Zelda game, not to mention the first significant expansion to one of Nintendo's high-profile singleplayer games (i.e.: not whatever Awakening had). If only because of all the heightened scrutiny you guys are a part of, Nintendo has to make something really cool. And what's more, they obviously felt obligated to keep the price down, because hardly any season passes cost $20 or less.

• Banned

You're being optimistic.

I'm being realistic.

• @Art I'm being realistic for the Zelda team.

• @Art Self-identified realists rarely are.

• @Art You can already mark enemies and zoom unless by extra zoom you meant really far in.

• Sorry to say but I'm more with @Art on this one.
    New map features sounds like the implementation of fast travel, being able to draw your own quest marker, something @Haru17 mentioned, or something like that. Nothing about that language makes me think its going to be anything worthwhile.
    I think what hurts me the most about this DLC is that things are being held hostage from me that should be in a free update instead. We don't know much about the content yet so I'm mostly speaking in hyperbole. Depending on what exactly the treasure chests contain those could all be update items, especially if its mostly on par with a Switch shirt. Sure they are bonus items but there still isn't a way to get them without buying it all.
    Hard mode should also be an update, unless there are some serious overhauls to the base game, not just changing the percentage of damage. I hope hard mode is huge, and part of me expects it will be. I don't think additional map features can be anything but an insult to paid DLC and should be free. I can't think of what this could be and a reason it should be kept from people who aren't going to spend money on the DLC.
    The second DLC pack seems legit, and very well could be worth the $20 by itself. It just sucks that I'm going to miss out on the updates DLC Pack 1 offers unless I buy in from the start.

• @Tragosaurus The problem with all of the opposition arguments is that they all assume so much.
    It is inarguably pre-judging.

• Banned

To be fair, I judge most games harshly before and after release.

I talk shit about ME:A, but I'm secretly looking forward to it. There's also "Bad Cutscenes: Zero Dawn".

• @Art I imagine you've at least seen a trailer for both of those games. We only have trailers and demos of the full release of Breath of the Wild, not the DLC. The only rightful assessment is extrapolation from those, and even then it's probably best to play the game one's self before assuming too much.

• Assuming the game/DLC might have some problems is pre-judging, making assumptions, and outright wrong.

Assuming the game/DLC will be a masterpiece and will change gaming as we know it is perfectly acceptable.

alt text

• @SabotageTheTruth It is the first time a mainline 3D Zelda game has had an expansion. I think it's a pretty obvious why myself and others are excited.

Please don't put words in my mouth the next time you post a reaction gif.

• @Haru17 I'm not Scott Aukerman, I just shrug like him.

There's nothing wrong with being excited about this game. Sing to the moon about how much you anticipate it and I truly hope it turns out the way you want it to. That doesn't mean other people have a differing opinion from yours are off-base though, especially since Nintendo used very vague language when describing the DLC specifically.

I absolutely agree with your statement of, "... it's probably best to play the game one's self before assuming too much." I just happen to think that statement applies to both the positive and negative.

• @SabotageTheTruth You make out like myself and others are telling people to shut up for being skeptical about the DLC. In actuality, I'm just arguing that DLC isn't inherently negative (an assumption just about everyone on the internet is guilty of right now), and that a seasoned developed like the EAD 3 / whatever the Zelda team is being called now is very promising.

I am not saying it will be amazing, I am saying it will almost certainly be amazing, because of the pedigree and ambition associated. Furthermore, I am not going to let the generalized ragging go unchallenged in this thread. I am a realist and do not have a problem with skepticism, but I am going to throw into question skepticism based on no evidence, which a lot of the DLC alarmism has been. Cut content, hard mode removed from the base game, and on and on.

Furthermore, it is blind to the point of willful ignorance to ignore the DLC outrage's proximity to the narrative people in online gaming communities have intentionally crafted around the Switch. Supported by some generalized mediocrity during the Wii U's years, people seize upon every scrap of new information to doom-say and cast blanket aspersions. Whatever myriad of baggage and pet peeves cause each person to rail against Nintendo, the sentiment is largely reactionary, illogical, and based in elevating the online 'stature' of the critic as opposed to focusing on the specific criticisms.