The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS/WiiU)

• Banned

I'm betting money on it having a bare bones story just like MGSV and FFXV.

Bethesda, what have you inspired?!

• Global Moderator

Do people genuinely play Zelda for story?

• @Haru17 I would continue this debate, but I disagree practically about everything you just said. And there is probably nothing you can say to convince me otherwise. It comes down to personal preference I guess.
    As for your challange to go play zelda: Nope. I believe there are many other games that do everything that Zelda does but better. As someone who hasent played this franchise, it does nothing to appeal to me. I'm sure it is great, if you're already engaged in it, but I don't intend to spend 300$ next year (game plus console) just to play a game I'm not certain I'll like.

• Banned

@tokeeffe9 Well, yeah. People like to discuss that stupid timeline shit don't they?

• Global Moderator

@Art Sure but I thought everyone agreed it was nonsense anyway.

I haven't played enough Zelda's to know if the story is something that's particularly interesting in any of them. The few I've played have all been pretty much the same which isn't a surprise going by the way Nintendo do storytelling in general.

I do want to play Majora's Mask though which does seem to be somewhat unique in comparison to the rest.

• @Haru17 said in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has a good trailer (or two):

Are you really coming at me, saying that freaking Zelda won't kick the shit out

Zelda really isn't that amazing of a series. It has had a lot of ups and downs and the latter entries haven't exactly been stellar.
    Now you've made it clear that you disagree, but the way you're describing Breath of the Wild only makes me feel that you should pull back your expectations a bit. I feel some people looking at BotW see what they want the game to be, not what they're gonna get.

@tokeeffe9 said in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has a good trailer (or two):

Do people genuinely play Zelda for story?

If you wanted a Zelda with a story (and higher difficulty plus better puzzles) you would play Alundra. That series has never had a good story. It has done some interesting stuff with games like Majora's Mask or Link's Awakening but the Zelda series is pretty much exclusively about the gameplay and world.

• Looks like it could be a really great game.. could it be time for me to get a WiiU?

I like the idea of open world and going back to the feel of the original Zelda, but I hope it doesn't suffer from the same issues as other open world games.

Also, I thought no female Link was confirmed? Could that be Zelda we're seeing?

• @suplextrain said in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has a good trailer (or two):

I just can't get excited for this game.
    One of the things I liked about the Zelda games is how they didn't fall into the same holes as all the open world sandbox type games out there and now with the open world fatigue Nintendo decided to make Zelda open world?

Zelda really isn't that amazing of a series. It has had a lot of ups and downs and the latter entries haven't exactly been stellar.

I think you've answered your own question — you're not going to be excited for a series if you don't like or respect it at a fundamental level.

But just to set the record straight, certain 3D Zeldas have had excellent stories. Ocarina of Time for its time and production values, Majora's Mask has a "vibe," and Twilight Princess wrote an absolutely amazing new character who essentially served as the protagonist. Plus, TP had amazing scene direction. Just some of my favorite cuts and imagery in gaming.

• Hmm... I'll wait and see. I just can't see Zelda delivering either an open-world or an epic story and characters that are anything remotely close to the likes of The Witcher 3.

Where Zelda has always excelled is in it's excellent dungeons and puzzles, where the franchise is head-and-shoulders above any rivals. Yet, we haven't seen much of that for BOTW.

Also, that frame-rate looks really ropey on the Wii U. I know there is still time to polish but I'm hoping maybe the Switch can do better (praying for 60fps).

• The legit trailer looks okay, it's nice to see some new things, like a better look at the airship, and the weird looking birdmen. The Let's Play just proved how underpowered the WII U is, with the game chugging any time it isn't in menus. But my interest in it is the same as any Nintendo game for me. A flat zero.

• I am guessing The character with the gold sash and white gloves with Link kneeling behind is Zelda. I think in that scene Link is reluctantly agreeing to be put in stasis. The character is making a fist as if in anger or resistance to something they are confronted with. The female character with the Sheika slate is either Zelda or her descendant... possibly Impa? We don't know if Zelda was put into stasis as well, like in past Zelda games, >! I.E. Adventures of Link and Skyward Sword.

Plus we have dogs that look like Sophie in Zelda now, so that is a good thing. Wandering NPC adventurers look to be in. It would be interesting exploring a dungeon with other NPCs wandering through it as well.

• For what it's worth, that first shot of a woman in blue has a folded white collar exactly like Ocarina of Time Link's.

• Global Moderator

I genuinely don't remember anything in particular about the Twilight Princess story or Ocarina of Time that isn't your standard Zelda stuff.

• We really don't know what happened to child Link after Majora's Mask.

• That music is incredible. It's such a beautiful change of pace from typical Zelda music. It's so mournful, I love it.

• @naltmank It's got a real sense of weight and consequence to it, hasn't it?

• These trailers are missing one essential element.

A Doc Brown spider monster.

• @SabotageTheTruth Actually, you can see the Doc Brown spider monster crawling on Death Mountain at 0:49. We talked about it in my last thread ;)

• Also, uh, there's this:

alt text

• The trailer music sounds similar to Xenoblade Chronicles' title theme.