The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS/WiiU)

• @El-Shmiablo BOTW is literally NOTHING like skyward sword.

prepare for the for the world to kick your ass when you finally play it.

• The EZA review has now over 100 000 views! \o/

• @naltmank I've only finished about one of the areas so far, but — aside from the puzzles — Breath of the Wild isn't really a Zelda game. It's something in the same vein, and plays on the same elemental and adventurous tropes, but I cannot stress enough that Nintendo stopped making the genre that is 3D Zelda games with Skyward Sword.

Nothing specific under here, but vague impression spoilers nonetheless. Please dodge this if you don't want to have a good impression of the game past the marketing.

SpoilerBreath of the Wild is basically the best explorative open world game ever made and cleanly better than The Wind Waker in that respect. There are just seemingly endless things to discover (again, only on my second day with the game). The moment I stepped off the Great Plateau I ran into a crazy boss in a precarious location, beat the dynamic boss fight by dodging and running past its very clean hit box, and got a super cool new tiered / themed weapon out of it.

SpoilerThe world is so overwhelmingly huge — the view from the Great Plateau really doesn't convey its enormity. Some of the distances Link has to walk — and especially climb — edge toward time-wasting Xenoblade territory, but the mechanics really make traversal fun. And I still have only tamed, like, one horse. There are so many beautiful, bespoke items with significantly different effects, and even a few significantly different attack animations.

SpoilerI have really, truly enjoyed the puzzles, but the shrines do their own, bite-sized thing and really don't directly compete with Twilight Princess' very atmospheric hegemony. The story... well, I've only done one of the main mission arcs so far (think Mass Effect), but it strongly reminds me of a past Zelda game. The writing is a lot more flippant and joke-y than in Twilight Princess, and the arc I've been through even a bit abrupt. However, this is no Skyward Sword, 95%-chance-of-Bokoblins-with-leopard-print-thongs. Even if the tone has migrated a bit since then, the writing knows how to take itself seriously the right way like the first four 3D Zeldas did. I'll have to play it through before I can really make a judgement about the plot.

That's probably enough — I just kinda wrote all this out after stopping playing for the night. I think Breath of the Wild is unskippable and easily the most ambitious and feature rich game of eighth gen. But again, I have to finish the game to make a more concrete judgement on quality.

• loving everything about this game so far. currently in the Zoras domain finding out about that areas main mission. think i'm gonna go find and complete some more shrines first before i do so though because i've got 2 stamina now but only 4 hearts. i really need some more hearts so that some of the tougher enemies i run into stop OHKOing or 2HKOing me.

• I ran into a Minotaur that seemingly teleports.

• I'm blown away by how vast the game world is and how it is actually filled with varied and interesting things to do. I keep trying to do things in the main story threads but keep getting distracted and just wandering off into the wilderness looking for adventure.

Also my decision to switch (heh) the HUD to minimal Pro mode (just hearts, buff timers and scanner makers when it starts beeping) also seems to be paying off. I am learning the lay of the land myself and actually looking at the game world instead of concentrating on the minimap.

• Youtube Video

wii u vs switch docked comparison and framerate test

• @JoleeHonso I was going to wait to puck up BotW until I got a Switch, but after seeing the comparisons I think I will just get it for WiiU and put off my Switch purchase indefinitely.
    I didn't want to play it on WiiU if it was going to be a greatly inferior experoence, but it seems about the same, just with the same issues in different places.

• So the 30th anniversary Amiibo has a chance of unlocking items related to their respective games. With the hat items from OOT and WW changing Links face a bit.

Youtube Video

alt text
    alt text
    From Data Mining.....So MM, SS, and Twlight Princess Amiibo?
    alt text

• Banned

@DMCMaster Replace "amiibo" with "99 cent micro transaction".

Except instead of "99 cent" you replace it with "$15 - $100 each".

• @Art A lot of games sell skins in $5-10 packs, but this is kinda cheap. Quite odd that they didn't say the amiibo would add old skins into the game. I guess it's justifiable in that none of this stuff is in any way canon, but it still costs somewhere around the full price of a collector's edition to get all of the different costumes, with the season pass and actual collector's edition being sold separately and not all of the skins being available at release (granted Breath of the Wild could never be accused of lacking in content).

And can I just say how wrong The Wind Waker Link's tunic looks on a proportionally tall human? Gross. The green garb from Twilight Princess translated pretty well, but it's still pretty weird and wrong to put that into cel shading. Same with OoT.

I've already purchased the DLC (and have yet to find the silly Switch shirt), and I think I'll wait and buy that unreleased Twilight Princess Link amiibo as opposed to buying the pee stand Smash Bros. one. Walking around as Twilight Princess Link with his wolf form as a companion seems too ridiculous to pass up. I could also be tempted into getting the Zelda, Ganondorf, and even Fierce Deity amiibo depending on how cool those weapons are functionally / how nice their lighting effects look.

• Personally I'm growing to really dislike the half star system.

It only feels like a "not 5-star" score. The listed difference between 4 and 5 is between being Excellent and Masterful.

On Frame Trap Ian even described BOTW with the only word he felt worked....Masterful.

Personally, The FPS drops shouldn't be enough to make this game not be described as "Masterful", especially with Last Guardian getting it.

Yeah yeah, the reviewers are different people, but at the end of the day it's an Easy Allies review, and it's up to them to be consistent.

• Any chance we can remove the previews of the all the videos? This thread is insane to load on mobile.

• @Stormcrownn yea the scoring is inconsistent this game is way better than TLG however the review score isnt hurting my enjoyment of the game (i have yet to encounter these framerate problems however

• @Art said in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/WiiU):

@DMCMaster Replace "amiibo" with "99 cent micro transaction".

Except instead of "99 cent" you replace it with "$15 - $100 each".

They could just sell the figurines and no one would say anything, instead they sell the figurines and include neat little perks for the people who buys them so of course people complain.

• Global Moderator

@Stormcrownn I totally disagree with that. It's up to the reviewer to be consistent, not be consistent to the outlet. You know the reviewer, you know what they like and what they're okay with.

And in the end, people should really stop caring about scores and take in the review itself.

• @Stormcrownn said in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/WiiU):

Any chance we can remove the previews of the all the videos? This thread is insane to load on mobile.

One thing that helps with this is found in settings.

"Paginate topics and posts instead of using infinite scroll". I set it to about 20 posts per page, which I'm assuming (hopefully) also works with mobile.

• @Stormcrownn I think the scores are pointless because GT gave (essentially) everything an eight and now EZA gives everything four stars. I understand not being completely in love with Breath of the Wild, but not for the reasons Damiani stated. The frame rate hitches for, like, a second or two and then reverts. Calling that frame rate issues means basically every other AAA release for the past three years has had frame rate issues. And the game never crashes like western AAAs often do, so, yeah, Nintendo has made an incredibly polished experience again, this time on a much larger scale. Anyway, four and a half stars might actually mean something if nearly everything didn't default to four stars.

And I don't know what you mean about all of the video embeds. The OP with all of those shouldn't load unless you click the up arrow — threads on this forum always load the most recent 20 posts, not all 300 at once.

• I like the scoring system. Complaining over tenths of points seems ridiculous to me and I would imagine has its own problems when trying to score. I like the simplified system they have no, essentially the game is bad, ok, good, great, amazing. That's really all the information I need from a review score, I would just translate the 10 or 100 point scale to that essentially anyway.
    To Zelda not getting a 5, whatever. Its a 5 to me. Its a 5 to a lot of people here. Its also a 3 to people here. What does it matter what score it got?

The frame rate issues I've encountered are a bit more than hitches for like a second. The terrible ones are just for a couple seconds but it chugs a bit too much in a lot of scenarios. I am playing on WiiU, and its not immensely effecting my enjoyment of the game, but it is there.

• Damiani reviewed Breath of the Wild on Switch and that's the version most of these comparison videos are focusing on. I've heard secondhand that the Wii U has different frame rate problems, i.e. in towns — where the Switch version runs fine.