The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS/WiiU)

• @Stormcrownn yea the scoring is inconsistent this game is way better than TLG however the review score isnt hurting my enjoyment of the game (i have yet to encounter these framerate problems however

• @Art said in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/WiiU):

@DMCMaster Replace "amiibo" with "99 cent micro transaction".

Except instead of "99 cent" you replace it with "$15 - $100 each".

They could just sell the figurines and no one would say anything, instead they sell the figurines and include neat little perks for the people who buys them so of course people complain.

• @Stormcrownn I totally disagree with that. It's up to the reviewer to be consistent, not be consistent to the outlet. You know the reviewer, you know what they like and what they're okay with.

And in the end, people should really stop caring about scores and take in the review itself.

• @Stormcrownn said in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/WiiU):

Any chance we can remove the previews of the all the videos? This thread is insane to load on mobile.

One thing that helps with this is found in settings.

"Paginate topics and posts instead of using infinite scroll". I set it to about 20 posts per page, which I'm assuming (hopefully) also works with mobile.

• @Stormcrownn I think the scores are pointless because GT gave (essentially) everything an eight and now EZA gives everything four stars. I understand not being completely in love with Breath of the Wild, but not for the reasons Damiani stated. The frame rate hitches for, like, a second or two and then reverts. Calling that frame rate issues means basically every other AAA release for the past three years has had frame rate issues. And the game never crashes like western AAAs often do, so, yeah, Nintendo has made an incredibly polished experience again, this time on a much larger scale. Anyway, four and a half stars might actually mean something if nearly everything didn't default to four stars.

And I don't know what you mean about all of the video embeds. The OP with all of those shouldn't load unless you click the up arrow — threads on this forum always load the most recent 20 posts, not all 300 at once.

• I like the scoring system. Complaining over tenths of points seems ridiculous to me and I would imagine has its own problems when trying to score. I like the simplified system they have no, essentially the game is bad, ok, good, great, amazing. That's really all the information I need from a review score, I would just translate the 10 or 100 point scale to that essentially anyway.
    To Zelda not getting a 5, whatever. Its a 5 to me. Its a 5 to a lot of people here. Its also a 3 to people here. What does it matter what score it got?

The frame rate issues I've encountered are a bit more than hitches for like a second. The terrible ones are just for a couple seconds but it chugs a bit too much in a lot of scenarios. I am playing on WiiU, and its not immensely effecting my enjoyment of the game, but it is there.

• Damiani reviewed Breath of the Wild on Switch and that's the version most of these comparison videos are focusing on. I've heard secondhand that the Wii U has different frame rate problems, i.e. in towns — where the Switch version runs fine.

• Yeah that's some of the stuff I have been experiencing, towns and dense forests. I knew what I was getting myself into and I can manage.

• @Haru17 I think you're being pretty forgiving here. The game clearly has frame rate issues (bar undocked) and thanks to DF we can see how bad it is. I'd be very hoepful it's patched before I get to it.

• I've put in a large amount of time into BotW(switch) and I am inlove with the world, it is stunning to look at with the Studio Ghibli esque art style. I have yet to encounter a frozen frame rate though quite a few large dips which makes me think its a shame it was made for Wii U( I love my Wii U, dont cry) first as I think it this was made from the ground up on the Switch it may not have as many/if any issues.
    Infact the only issue I've had that had made me throw out a few choice words is with the Switch itself and the left joycon making Link do stupid things at awkward times (trying to climb a tower, THE FUCKING TRUNK.... and trying to take down a powerful foe). Not been able to get a Pro controler yet, so I guess I will have to put up with it till then.
    I was quite sad I wouldnt be able to play it with a Japanese voice over and English subs but to be fair the English Dub is pretty damn good (if you can infact do that please let me know!).
    The Shrines are worth stars on their own, I have had a massive ammount of fun with them even cheesing a few like that table top type maze puzzle.
    I think for me that things that sets it aside from other games of this ilk is it feels like im playing a game that has been made by someone who truely loves this world. I mean If I had the money I would totally by a PS4 for Horizon, that game looks wonderful but Hyrule really pulls me in, its an honest game. I think that is what pushes it slightly above other games in review scores.

• @tokeeffe9

When 4.5 stars come across the screen, its actually really confusing. Damiani's review was not written in such a way that justifies the score deduction. Or at the very least it wasn't communicated to me, nor many other people.

I've never disagreed with anything the Allies say until now. On a few streams they laughed and made a big joke of the review score itself. People like you and many of the Allies state that the scores aren't really important.

Then why do they bother to even put a rating on the end? If the ratings don't matter then why give it a 4.5 instead of a 5?

It's extremely hypocritical of EZA as a whole to say that they dislike ratings and that you shouldn't take them seriously, and then treat 5-star reviews very seriously.

Do review scores only not matter when you want to give it a lower score and people disagree with you? Because they certainly seem to matter when they want to give something a higher score.

• @Tragosaurus It matters because the review itself doesn't really make sense with the score it was given.

If the review requires the writer to have to explain himself on streams to justify the review, then it wasn't a good enough review.

@tokeeffe9

When 4.5 stars come across the screen, its actually really confusing. Damiani's review was not written in such a way that justifies the score deduction. Or at the very least it wasn't communicated to me, nor many other people.

Then why do they bother to even put a rating on the end? If the ratings don't matter then why give it a 4.5 instead of a 5?

I didn't think the score was confusing. He talks about the issues it's has. It wasn't like he said this game is perfect in every way from gameplay to performance then gave it a low score. I think a half star justfies what he talks about. I'd agree that it was confusing if he gave it a 3 or 3.5 stars.

I agree about the review discussion. A lot of ppl on here are saying why does the score matter and why does it bother you etc.... people are making this way to personal. If your going to tell me not to discuss review scores because I agree or disagree with it then leave the conversation. There's review scores, ppl are allowed to state their opinions on them and the reviewer. Hopefully respectfully. But denying the conversation or ending your comment by saying why do you even care is completely immature and anti constructive. So is getting overly reactive about them.

If EZA truly doesn't believe in scoring then maybe they should take a kotaku approach. I'd prefer all reviews to be a written or oral opnion pieces with key highlights of the game and no score.

@Stormcrownn said in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/WiiU):

If the review requires the writer to have to explain himself on streams to justify the review, then it wasn't a good enough review.

I'm not familiar with this exact situation but I agree. However, if the reviewer is having to defend himself is it because it was a poor review or are people just being difficult because of their gamer rage?

• @CGamor7 I get what you are saying, but I'll continue to bring up The Last Guardian. It had extremely similar issues (including additional ones) unless you bought it on the PS4 Pro. Most console games on PS4 and Xbox One have pretty bad framerate dips to begin with. He mentioned the dungeons are underwhelming, and I suppose this is a result of the spoilers-free review. Thinking on this makes me want a spoiler-review for BoTW, where Damiani can write out his more in depth thoughts about why he docked that half star.

I agree with you on the Kotaku point. I personally think scoring reviews makes EZA reviews much worse. I can't settle for people saying the scores don't matter when that's only the case with a low score. If they gave half their games 5-stars, it would matter. If Battlefield 1 received 5 stars and Titanfall 2 did not, it would matter.

In regards to defending, you can ignore a handful of people and say that things are subjective, but at a certain point when enough people have a problem with it then it very likely wasn't explained well enough the first time. It's proportional to how many people comment on it, and if you think every single one of those people has "gamer rage" so that they can be ignored.

@CGamor7 I get what you are saying, but I'll continue to bring up The Last Guardian. It had extremely similar issues (including additional ones) unless you bought it on the PS4 Pro. Most console games on PS4 and Xbox One have pretty bad framerate dips to begin with. He mentioned the dungeons are underwhelming, and I suppose this is a result of the spoilers-free review. Thinking on this makes me want a spoiler-review for BoTW, where Damiani can write out his more in depth thoughts about why he docked that half star.

I agree with you on the Kotaku point. I personally think scoring reviews makes EZA reviews much worse. I can't settle for people saying the scores don't matter when that's only the case with a low score. If they gave half their games 5-stars, it would matter. If Battlefield 1 received 5 stars and Titanfall 2 did not, it would matter.

In regards to defending, you can ignore a handful of people and say that things are subjective, but at a certain point when enough people have a problem with it then it very likely wasn't explained well enough the first time. It's proportional to how many people comment on it, and if you think every single one of those people has "gamer rage" so that they can be ignored.

If the reviewer thinks its a 4.5 it is a 4.5, respect the process. You don't have to like it or agree with it but you have to take it for what it is: One person's subjective opinion on a piece of entertainment.

So far I agree with Damiani's score and conclusions. The slowdowns for the most part aren't a big issue for me but the small moments of the game freezing for a second or so are pretty bad. I've seen it in both docked and portable mode on a couple of occasions and it is so jarring that it is detrimental to my immersion in the game.

The game is fantastic and it is a shame that two small technical issues take away so much from an otherwise finely polished game.

• @Stormcrownn

Yeah the last guardian review kind of threw me off a bit too. thats a good point about Daminani not being able to go in depth to remain spoiler free. Never thought about that. I can see why that would confuse ppl. It would be good to have a companion spoiler video for games to go more in depth for ppl who want to know. But my views of his review havnt changed, I do still find is score pretty accurate.

And yeah I agree with the last point. Discretion needs to be had but you also can't lock out your fan base if their genuely concerned with your work. However even though I'm not sure what ppl are upset about, I'm having a hard time trying to see what that would be. For me a 4 stars would still be pretty accurate. I think for EZA that last 4-5 stars has a lot of flexibility. I do however believe technical issues should be counted in scores. Even if they get to be patched out later.

• @thenerdtheword I've played the game exclusively in docked mode for about 50+ hours (I think). 48 shrines/50 koroks.

Personally I don't find it detrimental to the immersion at all. Is it annoying? Sure, but it's not long dips in frame rate, I usually stand still for a moment and then it passes. I've counted twice that the game will "freeze" -

MANY other large "open" world RPGs have had similar crushing performance on launch. (Witcher, Fallout 4, Skyrim, etc, etc, etc,) Not to mention most AAA-games these days. Breath of the Wild is also an insane step up as far as open world exploration is concerned from any those previous games.

If the reviewer thinks its a 4.5 it is a 4.5, respect the process. You don't have to like it or agree with it but you have to take it for what it is: One person's subjective opinion on a piece of entertainment.

That's not what I said, nor what I am talking about. There are a LARGE amount of people, including the allies themselves, that respond to criticism of the 4.5 score with "Scores don't even matter!" - That's what my post there is in response to.

Your comments on the FPS drops is a proper response. Where we are definitely slamming our subjective opinions against each other. I appreciate the proper back and forth. L&R and all that ;)

• @CGamor7

However even though I'm not sure what ppl are upset about, I'm having a hard time trying to see what that would be. For me a 4 stars would still be pretty accurate. I think for EZA that last 4-5 stars has a lot of flexibility. I do however believe technical issues should be counted in scores. Even if they get to be patched out later.

This was pretty much my reason for the L&R question I hope they talk about, or at least something like it;

There have been many "discussions" regarding the score that Breath of the Wild received in the Easy Allies review.

This review has made me realize that I'm frustrated with the 10-point scale. The half stars don't feel like an equal 10% of the score. The descriptions for each star make it difficult for me to shake this, with 4 stars being Excellent and 5 stars being Masterful.

A 4.5 score just feels like you are saying its "Not Masterful", but you can't have games just be 4 or 5 star. I wish that it wasn't important to give games a number, but I can't ignore the system in place. I'm very curious about your thoughts on this topic,

I know they've said that its not an even scale, but that just makes it more confusing. If it's that close then why not just give it 5-stars and make sure you mention the framerate/whatever in the review? Why is it so important for them to not give something 5-stars?

• I was just saying that everyone can have a different score for a game. The Last Guardian and Zelda were reviewed by two different people so you can expect them to be slightly different. Sure they both are EZA reviews but when different people review games you can't expect them to all be exactly the same. Game reviews should be completely independent and not compared to other games. Zelda shouldn't get a 5 because a game before it got a 5, it needs to be looked at by itself. In my eyes the score could go either way, 4.5 because of the issues, 5 and mention the problems.

Here are a couple quotes from the review which I think explain the whole .5 off it got:

• "On the switch version when docked there are serious frame rate issues in certain parts of the game. These problems happen most often in dense forest environments but they occur in just about any type of area, from
      the plains to the top of snowy mountains. In some cases its so bad that the game is virtually unplayable until the problem subsides. The frame rate issues are frequent enough that you cant ignore them either."
    • "While there are 4 traditional dungeons they don't quite live up to some of the best dungeons in the series. They each have clever hooks but a majority of the puzzles are simply derived from what you've already seen the shrines. Aside from one dungeon they're all pushovers and take much less time to complete than dungeons found in previous entries. The numerous shrines and their ingenuity help to balance out the lack of traditional dungeons it still leaves us yearning for more."

I've already said that I liked the 5 star scale so I won't go into that anymore. I can understand the benefits of the other scale systems but I personally enjoy the simplicity if the current system.

• I won't go over all that's been said in here, but here are my two cents from what I've heard of the Allies, and specifically Damiani's opinion.

The framerate issues that Damiani saw apparently were quite bad, which seems to be consistent with what I've heard that this issues can vary a lot from case to case, so it is possible that the problems he saw were way worse than those experienced by other players.

On the hour long talk Damiani had about the story, he mentioned how his real disappointment with the game is with the story, and how to him as a huge Zelda fan it feels as a cheap or rather safe move, and not something that truly strives for something better, which is what he wants the franchis to do. I can completely agree with that rationale, and to me it justifies perfectly his decision of not giving the game 5 stars.