The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS/WiiU)

• @CGamor7

However even though I'm not sure what ppl are upset about, I'm having a hard time trying to see what that would be. For me a 4 stars would still be pretty accurate. I think for EZA that last 4-5 stars has a lot of flexibility. I do however believe technical issues should be counted in scores. Even if they get to be patched out later.

This was pretty much my reason for the L&R question I hope they talk about, or at least something like it;

There have been many "discussions" regarding the score that Breath of the Wild received in the Easy Allies review.

This review has made me realize that I'm frustrated with the 10-point scale. The half stars don't feel like an equal 10% of the score. The descriptions for each star make it difficult for me to shake this, with 4 stars being Excellent and 5 stars being Masterful.

A 4.5 score just feels like you are saying its "Not Masterful", but you can't have games just be 4 or 5 star. I wish that it wasn't important to give games a number, but I can't ignore the system in place. I'm very curious about your thoughts on this topic,

I know they've said that its not an even scale, but that just makes it more confusing. If it's that close then why not just give it 5-stars and make sure you mention the framerate/whatever in the review? Why is it so important for them to not give something 5-stars?

• I was just saying that everyone can have a different score for a game. The Last Guardian and Zelda were reviewed by two different people so you can expect them to be slightly different. Sure they both are EZA reviews but when different people review games you can't expect them to all be exactly the same. Game reviews should be completely independent and not compared to other games. Zelda shouldn't get a 5 because a game before it got a 5, it needs to be looked at by itself. In my eyes the score could go either way, 4.5 because of the issues, 5 and mention the problems.

Here are a couple quotes from the review which I think explain the whole .5 off it got:

• "On the switch version when docked there are serious frame rate issues in certain parts of the game. These problems happen most often in dense forest environments but they occur in just about any type of area, from
      the plains to the top of snowy mountains. In some cases its so bad that the game is virtually unplayable until the problem subsides. The frame rate issues are frequent enough that you cant ignore them either."
    • "While there are 4 traditional dungeons they don't quite live up to some of the best dungeons in the series. They each have clever hooks but a majority of the puzzles are simply derived from what you've already seen the shrines. Aside from one dungeon they're all pushovers and take much less time to complete than dungeons found in previous entries. The numerous shrines and their ingenuity help to balance out the lack of traditional dungeons it still leaves us yearning for more."

I've already said that I liked the 5 star scale so I won't go into that anymore. I can understand the benefits of the other scale systems but I personally enjoy the simplicity if the current system.

• I won't go over all that's been said in here, but here are my two cents from what I've heard of the Allies, and specifically Damiani's opinion.

The framerate issues that Damiani saw apparently were quite bad, which seems to be consistent with what I've heard that this issues can vary a lot from case to case, so it is possible that the problems he saw were way worse than those experienced by other players.

On the hour long talk Damiani had about the story, he mentioned how his real disappointment with the game is with the story, and how to him as a huge Zelda fan it feels as a cheap or rather safe move, and not something that truly strives for something better, which is what he wants the franchis to do. I can completely agree with that rationale, and to me it justifies perfectly his decision of not giving the game 5 stars.

• ive never had the desync problem is it only some Switches?

• @Stormcrownn said in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/WiiU):

Your comments on the FPS drops is a proper response. Where we are definitely slamming our subjective opinions against each other. I appreciate the proper back and forth. L&R and all that ;)

No worries man! L&R

• @tokeeffe9 How can I be being forgiving for a problem not in the version i'm playing? I'd just rather criticize the game for its actual problems than 1-second frame rate hitches that happen at most once hourly.

• @FF7Cloud that serms to be the case, when it was first reported some outlets mentioned it happened a lot and others not at all, and honestly that is even worse to me

• Here's one more thing to consider:

If we'd watched the EZA review first, without knowing about all the 10/10 it received from many other websites, would the 4.5/5 score have shocked us?

Seems to me like most of us went into Damiani's review already expecting a perfect score, and that's what makes it hard to swallow.

Ultimately it won't matter when they rightfully choose it as their 2017 GOTY ;)

• Global Moderator

@Haru17 It is in the version you're playing and that's why I say you're being forgiving. Digital Foundry have a few videos showing the frame rate issues going as low as 20 due to the v sync implementation they use. It's rough.

If you've got by fortunately or it doesn't bother you that much cool, but it's clearly there and I really hope it's patched as it's jarring when it dips to 20fps.

• A whole lot of the PS3 games ran at 30 FPS and easily dipped to 20 FPS (Far Cry 3 being an exemple) and i don't remember gamers and journalist making a big deal about it or removing review points for it. Yet it was standard. For fucks sake Skyrim PS3/360 are essentially unaffected review wise to the PC version and for that game we're not just talking about frame drop but they were prone to crashing and a buggy mess. But of course it's Nintendo and when it's Nintendo it's somehow worst and we gotta make a big deal about it even tho they are one of the few gaming companies out there who actually make games that run at 60 FPS.

• @Stephleref I honestly wouldn't say anyone is making a "big" deal out of it. The game is sitting at a 98 right now for critics on Metacritic, which is insanely high. Skyrim for the PS3 in comparison is sitting at a 93 and the main page has a critique knocking it down a few pegs due to its instability.

I personally lean on the side of framerate dips not really bothering me but if it bugs someone else, who am I to tell them to get over it? We all have different stipulations to what makes a game great.

For example, I've played 5 minutes of BOTW on a friend's Switch. I was immediately impressed with how great it felt to shoot arrows. Then I pulled out some fire arrows and shot the grass. Just seeing it light on fire made me extremely happy... until it died out within seconds, not bothering to spread to the rest of the grass around it. Shot some fire at a bush and it just stared back at me, not being on fire and stuff. This is a silly, stupid thing to be disappointed about but... it shot me out of this realistic, thriving world that everyone has been talking about.

There's certainly a conversation to be had about overreaction in the industry and hyperbolic claims getting way too much limelight, but I don't find any fault in those pointing out the fact the game has some hitches. It's getting universal praise, I don't think anyone needs to really get on the defensive and protect 'poor' Nintendo/Zelda.

I do feel bad for Damiani though. Whether he's giving a 7.8 to Windwaker HD or a 4.5 stars to Breath of the Wild, it seems like the internet is always quick to tell him how wrong he is on his opinion.

• @SabotageTheTruth you can light dry grass on fire and it will spread.

• Banned

Just because it was "acceptable" back then to have incredible shitty framerates that doesn't mean it's acceptable now.

Digital Foundry and Candyland have opened people's eyes and have risen the bar for quality.

Don't accept frame skipping, screen tearing, slowdown and sub 30 fps as the golden standard.

• Like I said I'm ok with the odd moments of slowdown here and there. It is a big game running on limited hardware and I can be very forgiving of minor technical issues. It is just when it gets bad it is really bad.

Back in my QA Testing days slowdown to the point of the game temporarily freezing to deal with it would be a high class/priority issue. It's more than likely that it is still in the game because any alternatives or fixes would make the game worse. But it is a mark against an otherwise great game.

• I couldn't care less about the frame rate drops.

• @FF7Cloud The grass I was in certainly wasn't damp. Kinda strange only certain types of grass burn but hey... Zelda.

• @SabotageTheTruth it burns just not wildfire style

• Initially I wasn't so bothered about Zelda, I think because I'd been in a Ninty slump after the Wii U and their kooky decisions. But fuck me Breath of the Wild is incredible. There's so much to talk about with it. But for right now, I'll just say I love the touch of taming and naming your horses. I named my first one Bronn. Anyone else got some special names for the riding companions?

• @Churchy My first horse is brown and white named マーベル (maaberu). This is a transliteration of "Marvel", but can also be taken as "marble" because she kinda looks like marbled ice cream. Also, 馬 (ma3) is the word for horse in Mandarin. My second horse had much less thought put into his name; オリオ (orio) or Oreo, cause he's black and white.

• Banned

Can you combine horses to form a giant mega horse?

You know, something like the Megazord or Voltron.