The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS/WiiU)

• @Bigdude1 Nintendo seemed to actively not want people to 100% the game, because the reward for getting all the Koroks is...

shit

• @Bigdude1 It's just that I prefer to explore areas as the story or sidequests lead me to them, insted exploring an area and then having to go back later because of the story or sidequest.

• @Musou-Tensei It's pretty much full blown free roam as soon as you finish the starting area. Also, you don't have to go back and explore areas you missed if you don't want to. I thought after I got credits I'd be done since I took my time and explored a ton before it, but after a day or so away from the game I've already had the itch to go back and keep poking around. Not doing all the shrines also personally feels like leaving chunks of game behind since some of the shrine puzzles are super interesting, surprising, and unique.

• I found one area that has enemies with elemental weapons like crazy, I marked it and I go back there whenever I'm short on weapons. (That actually hasn't happened in my 90 hours of play)

What I find happening with the weapon system is that I want to use the weapons I have to make room for the new ones. I'll keep one or two super-high damage weapons for emergency purposes as well.

• Made it to Gannon

• @Mbun Nintendo be like

alt text

• And with that Gannon is defeated.....No I'm not crying, just a leaky tear duct is all it is.

• Not impressed with the Dungeons or the bosses so far, done 3 of them and they are easy and small compared to previous Zelda games.

Don't even get me on the 3 minute shrines, I literally walked in 1 this morning and time froze a box and the shrine was solved, was in there less than 2 minutes, I feel like the problem solving is dumbed down

• @Longview The dungeons are definitely shorter than in previous games. The bosses are more challenging though, not just based on the gimmick of the dungeon. Some shrines are longer than others, and even the simple shrines most of the time are hiding some added challenge in the form of a bonus chest or a part two to the puzzle. The ones that annoy me more are the "Blessing" shrines where you just walk in and get an item and an orb. They exist basically to facilitate puzzles outside the shrines, but it doesn't sit right with me that they're advertising 120 shrines or whatever when a bunch of them have no puzzle inside.

• @Mbun i've beaten 3 of the dungeon bosses from just spamming bomb arrows, theres no way I would of got away with that in previous Zelda games

• @Longview At least that means at one point you had to gather the bomb arrows, a commodity that costs 400 rupees for a set of 10 and the bow/bows to shoot them with, versus previous Zelda games where every dungeon boss would simply be weak to whatever new item the dungeon gave you with three hits being the whole fight. I'm not saying the new ones are perfect, and you certainly can bruteforce them if you make the decision to do so, but they're a major step up from what was present before.

• @Mbun @Longview the whole world is a dungeon now!

puts on shades
    sees self out

• @Longview i literary went in t dungeon today that had nothing just a walk up to the sheika guy to get the orb.

• @FF7Cloud Those are the "Blessing" Shrines I talked about above. It's cause getting into them itself is a puzzle, but I call bullshit on that too.

• @thenerdtheword emptiest dungeon i've ever seen

• @Longview if a game world full of puzzles, ambient storytelling, bespoke locations to explore and characters to meet is the new definition of empty I really want to know what a full world is!

Things are a bit more spread out than your usual open world but I prefer it that way. I'm really enjoying exploring the world of BotW. As for the major dungeons I'd say they are of the same sort of length as the usual Zelda faire if you take into account that they are divided into two parts. Getting into the dungeon and then solving it.

• @thenerdtheword These Dungeons are nowhere near the length of previous Zelda, nowhere even close and getting into them is mostly like a shooter on rails hardly taxing or difficult

• I've played a decent amount now and have some more informed opinions on the game.
    Warning: a wall of text approaches.
    TLDR: Love the world and exploring. Would like better quick menu, bigger better dungeons, more VO. Interested on what hard mode will change. Overall love the game.

I love exploring the world and everything that goes along with it. This is what I have spent most of my time doing so far. I think there are plenty of cool unique environments with various things to do in them to keep me interested. I will say after all of the time I have put into exploring every nook and cranny in the areas I have visited I am starting to lose steam so I'll probably begin to be more direct moving forward.

I have completed 2 of the main dungeons so far and I wish there was more to them. I think they are extremely lacking. It might just be the scale that I'm disappointed in because some of the puzzles are alright, I just want more puzzling and dungeon crawling to break up the wandering around he open world. I haven't been all that impressed by the boss battles either. The first one I beat without even blinking an eye. The second one did give me a bit more trouble but still nothing that crazy. I miss wandering around sprawling dungeons, finding keys, solving puzzles and advancing, even if the advancement was fairly linear and not all that intense. I don't think the bosses are worse than in previous entries but I don't really think they are that much better. I do enjoy, like Mbun has pointed out, that its not hit the boss 3 times with your newly acquired gear in its clear weak point.

I actually enjoy the VO. Unless its a Korok (which I love their little chirps and whatnot) I would love nearly all dialog to be voiced.
    The framerate (on WiiU) is a little rough at parts but manageable for me. Except this weekend when playing I hit some HUGE framerate issues, like where the game essentially froze for upwards of 7 seconds. I was only fighting a single enemy at the time, not sure what the issue was.

I think my biggest gripe is item management and the enemy difficulty (I can't think of better terms to use for this so I'll explain).
    I don't like the way switching weapons is implemented. It doesn't lend itself to easily switch between weapons frequently in battle. For example, if I want to whack someone with my electric sword but then want to do damage with something else less rare. I find this process very tedious. It can be extremely annoying with weapons breaking so frequently. I think I would enjoy a weapon wheel where I can know where certain weapons are and quickly switch to it. Or maybe just letting me custom organize my weapons so the two I want to switch between are next to one another.
    Also cooking was fun the first handful of times I did it, grabbing all the items I wanted from the menu, dropping them in the pot, and seeing the result. After numerous hours in the game I wish I would just select a recipe and cook it without flipping through the 5+ pages of ingredients I have to find the ones I want.
    What I mean with enemy difficulty is, enemies are either extremely weak in comparison to you, balanced, nearly kill you in 1 hit, or one shot you. All of this is expected, my main complaint is there isn't much of a difference between the weak enemy and something that takes away all but a quarter of your health since at any moment you can pause the game and eat food back up to max. I definitely wish there was a quick menu for eating food first off, but I kinda would like some sort of cool down on eating maybe, or make it take some time to do? I don't know what the solution is or if I'm bothered by a nonissue but it is something I thought about while playing this game and not really any others. Maybe hard mode will fix this for me when released. Maybe I'm just letting something silly bother me. I'm just not the biggest fan of being able to brute force my way through difficult fights just by eating enough food to feed an army.

This may sound overwhelming negative but that is not my intent. I am loving this game and would probably now give it 4.5 stars as well. These are just a few of my minor grievances with the game which in no way is making me feel super negative on the game, just knocked it out of perfect status for me.

• Soooo, I just finally beat the game and am back to this thread in full. I want to talk about all that buisness, but really would hate to spoil it — good and bad — for anyone who's yet to play or finish Breath of the Wild's main story. So don't read this if you haven't beaten the game!

Surprisingly enough, Hyrule Castle is the only dungeon in the game that you can approach from all angles like Aonuma talked about in interviews back around when the game was announced. I don't want to have the value question conflated with my points to come, so I'll come right out and say that Breath of the Wild was worth the $450-some I spent to play it, even without having played the DLC. And it's great to be back in the Nintendo ecosystem — 3DS wasn't really enough for me ere those long Wii U years.

However, this is a 3D Zelda game, those games being much different to — and often better than — other titles. (Coincidentally I'm still wavering on whether or not I would call it a game in the Zelda genre as opposed to just the main series, but let's split those hairs after I've had time to ruminate on the ending.)

Bigger spoilers start now: 'Spread too thin' has never been more appropriate. Obviously in a game this big, you do not make a main story that short. Having seen what I confirmed as the full ending ('cause who would know), alone, in a non-disturbing environment, and after re-watching all of the memories, doing all of the dungeons, and even completing every single shrines, I can say that Breath of the Wild's maybe one-hour total collection of cutscenes are almost totally insufficient. Everyone could stand to wait through an at-least 5-minute length memory cutscene after clicking the prompt. A script this short gives you a story all about Zelda not really doing anything and a bunch of peripheral characters that don't matter at all, as well as a bunch of one-on-one scenes with a silent protagonist. (How did no one see that!? They must have known and just been scared of fan reaction or too afraid to voice Link in this story that is absolutely screaming for him to say something — anything.)

They obviously could have done more, but I think the chiefest sins Breath of the Wild's story commits is signposting the end of the game right from the start, killing all of the main characters offscreen before the game began, and finally — suuuper spoilery at this point if you haven't beaten it — not having an antagonist at all. The first thing inherently ruins a plot by taking out any ambiguity as to where it's going or whether any twists will take it elsewhere (they won't). The second takes all stakes out of the plot (remember worrying for Midna at the end of Twilight Princess?) and was used as an excuse not to develop those characters beyond archetypes and a maybe minute of screen time apiece. And the final thing is just obvious: Have Ganon talk. Ganondorf was a good villain because he was imposing, well-shot, and — in Twilight Princess and The Wind Waker — charismatic. Creating a mindless force of evil is just boring and the least creative thing they could have done.

Phew, so about Hyrule Castle and Calamity Ganon specifically, it could be the strongest Hyrule Castle ever, lmao. I don't get where the weird malice-guardian fusion designs came from, I wouldn't mind them if they talked at some point. It's cool that they explained how the guardians were all stored inside of the pillars beneath Hyrule Castle, and how there's a legless guardian just perched atop one of them and sniping you. They kind of just threw the kitchen sink at it in terms of challenges, with rock enemies and guardians and lynels all. The upper half of the castle and the throne room take major inspiration from Twilight Princess' titular aesthetic, what with black motes rising up into an cloudy, shifting orange sky (I appreciated the nod there). The final / first ever form of Ganon was interesting, but only really served to put a point on how not-really-great the pools of malice looked and how lacking the horseback combat was. There being only one regular enemy to fight on horseback — bokoblins on other horses that don't follow you terribly well — and guardians, an admittedly incredibly designed mini boss. Ganon didn't really... do a whole lot, he was just huge and messed up the environment while having giant, huge hit box weak points. A surprisingly easy fight, considering what came before. I guess I won't ever see my dream of fighting humanoid Ganondorf high up in the castle tower with all of Hyrule all around, or flying around in a tornado above the ruined castle and fighting his — I guess now 'its' — miasma on chunks of floating rubble with the paraglider. I'm glad the Twilight Princess-style teleport out into Hyrule Field for the final battle is being standardized, though. More horseback combat is always a good thing, and I appreciated the aesthetic and textual nod to Beast Ganon. I'm tired and going to stop assailing you all with this wall of text. Goodnight!

Overall, better than Skyward Sword — still not good enough.

• ThisIsMyDogKyle posted this video on Discord. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmIgjAM0uh0