The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS/WiiU)

• Good talk guys, that was interesting to read!

I'm one of those who loooooved Breath of the Wild and yet I can't fully disagree with much of what @tokeeffe9 said. I guess what it boils down to is how much the game's flaws affect your enjoyment.

About the weapon degradation, my gut feeling tells me they realized it could be an annoyance, but the alternative - letting players find a weapon they like and keep it until the end of the game - would have heavily reduced the need to explore the world and that would have been even more detrimental to the overall experience. They wanted to maintain this "survival" feeling throughout the game and that's a tricky balance to find when you also want to provide progression to the player (which they did through hearts and stamina). Something had to give and it was weapons. Hopefully they come up with a more elegant and less divisive solution for the next game.

It's actually very exciting to think about the inevitable sequel. The template laid out by BotW was already masterful in my opinion, so imagine a game that irons out all the kinks and improves on its strengths. GOTY 2020.

• Possibly although I never felt like I was exploring to find new weapons, it was just that there are enemies and they have weapons.

• @tokeeffe9 early on you def hunt around for weapons. Once you get a good grasp of the world its less of a thing

• @tokeeffe9 There's specific places on the map where weapons will always be if you go back there, which is cool when you find a spot for a great flamesword or such. Always mark the ones I find with the sword icon on the map to keep track of. Early game I think I got most my weapons from chests, especially the challenge chest of every Shrine. Those usually had some good stuff. Late game I think just jacking ones from enemies is best since the stats on them can get ridiculously high. Got a one handed sword from a Lynel that did over 100 damage per hit once. Used it for the final boss of the last DLC.

• Finally beat this game! Absolutely loved it. It weirdly became like a hiking replacement for me - I moved back to the city a few months back, and haven't really been able to spend much/any time out in nature. While not the same, there were times where running around and exploring helped scratch that itch I felt I was missing. All of which is to say, if you like Zelda BotW but haven't really spent much time outdoors, you should try hiking for real! I promise it's fulfilling!

One thing I'll say is that I don't think I ever really got "good" at this game - I ran from or snuck around just about every lynel and guardian in the game. Never even got a Lynel down to half health. That said, when it came to the finally showdown I realized that I finally got the timing to parry lasers about 70% of the time, which felt really good. I hope that dungeon/shrine designs are a little more involved in a sequel, since they definitely started to get repetitive near the end, but overall I'm really happy with just about everything in this game.

• Forgot to post here that I reviewed the DLC. (<--- WARNING: Thread is filled with spoilers!)

Also, I'm nearly finished reading Creating a Champion.

Summary? BUY THAT BOOK!!!!! It contains development tidbits and interviews, gives a backstory to almost every location in the game, explains small details in almost every character's costume, and is LOADED with art.

• @oscillator Wow, I just checked out that book and it does look amazing, might try to hunt it down!

• @oscillator Thanks for sharing. I've just ordered it, gonna have my hands on it tomorrow!

• I finally got to try this, which is my main reason for buying a Switch (I was waiting for a discount or something but I just bought an used copy instead, lol). As someone who only got to the Nintendo ecosystem somewhat recently, the Zelda games has always been the most interesting Nintendo games to me, and seeing the high praise for this one made me want to try this game first. I played a few hours already, currently on the way to Kakariko Village. So far it's pretty great, I really enjoy the sense of freedom that the game gives you, especially with the climb-almost-anything mechanic, which I really love. I also like how menacing the world seems, it just feels like my current Link is far from ready to do anything noteworthy other than just survive. Controlling Link feels snappy and responsive, but I'm still not used to the control scheme yet, definitely need more time to be fully comfortable with it.

• @bam541 you can customise your control layout on the system main menu now.