The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS/WiiU)

• Looks like it could be a really great game.. could it be time for me to get a WiiU?

I like the idea of open world and going back to the feel of the original Zelda, but I hope it doesn't suffer from the same issues as other open world games.

Also, I thought no female Link was confirmed? Could that be Zelda we're seeing?

• @suplextrain said in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has a good trailer (or two):

I just can't get excited for this game.
    One of the things I liked about the Zelda games is how they didn't fall into the same holes as all the open world sandbox type games out there and now with the open world fatigue Nintendo decided to make Zelda open world?

Zelda really isn't that amazing of a series. It has had a lot of ups and downs and the latter entries haven't exactly been stellar.

I think you've answered your own question — you're not going to be excited for a series if you don't like or respect it at a fundamental level.

But just to set the record straight, certain 3D Zeldas have had excellent stories. Ocarina of Time for its time and production values, Majora's Mask has a "vibe," and Twilight Princess wrote an absolutely amazing new character who essentially served as the protagonist. Plus, TP had amazing scene direction. Just some of my favorite cuts and imagery in gaming.

• Hmm... I'll wait and see. I just can't see Zelda delivering either an open-world or an epic story and characters that are anything remotely close to the likes of The Witcher 3.

Where Zelda has always excelled is in it's excellent dungeons and puzzles, where the franchise is head-and-shoulders above any rivals. Yet, we haven't seen much of that for BOTW.

Also, that frame-rate looks really ropey on the Wii U. I know there is still time to polish but I'm hoping maybe the Switch can do better (praying for 60fps).

• The legit trailer looks okay, it's nice to see some new things, like a better look at the airship, and the weird looking birdmen. The Let's Play just proved how underpowered the WII U is, with the game chugging any time it isn't in menus. But my interest in it is the same as any Nintendo game for me. A flat zero.

• I am guessing The character with the gold sash and white gloves with Link kneeling behind is Zelda. I think in that scene Link is reluctantly agreeing to be put in stasis. The character is making a fist as if in anger or resistance to something they are confronted with. The female character with the Sheika slate is either Zelda or her descendant... possibly Impa? We don't know if Zelda was put into stasis as well, like in past Zelda games, >! I.E. Adventures of Link and Skyward Sword.

Plus we have dogs that look like Sophie in Zelda now, so that is a good thing. Wandering NPC adventurers look to be in. It would be interesting exploring a dungeon with other NPCs wandering through it as well.

• For what it's worth, that first shot of a woman in blue has a folded white collar exactly like Ocarina of Time Link's.

• Global Moderator

I genuinely don't remember anything in particular about the Twilight Princess story or Ocarina of Time that isn't your standard Zelda stuff.

• We really don't know what happened to child Link after Majora's Mask.

• That music is incredible. It's such a beautiful change of pace from typical Zelda music. It's so mournful, I love it.

• @naltmank It's got a real sense of weight and consequence to it, hasn't it?

• These trailers are missing one essential element.

A Doc Brown spider monster.

• @SabotageTheTruth Actually, you can see the Doc Brown spider monster crawling on Death Mountain at 0:49. We talked about it in my last thread ;)

• Also, uh, there's this:

alt text

• The trailer music sounds similar to Xenoblade Chronicles' title theme.

• @gerrhod Xenoblade had a title theme? I guess I never let that screen play. Anyway, they both use piano, violin, and horn — and use slow, high piano keys to emulate the sound of dropping water — but, besides that, I think they're very different compositions. Zelda sticks to that piano like glue, while Xenoblade brings in more instruments and lets the violin and horn take over for a while.

It also bears mentioning that this trailer almost certainly features an abridged version of whichever theme it's using.

• @Haru17 Seriously. I think that this game will really take advantage of that fully orchestra and hit all the notes that past games tried (and, IMO, failed to hit) with their previous MDI arrangements. Zelda always has amazing music, but I think this will be the first to play those tracks the way they were meant to be heard. I know Skyward Sword was orchestrated, and while I do like that soundtrack, it's kind of in a different vein than a bunch of the other mainline games. With only two tracks, I feel like this game has shown that it will do it all.

• I'm just sceptical as hell for this game. I really don't want them to lower the quality just to up the quantity. Words like "our world is so big now, it's the biggest we've ever made!" makes me more worried that the world will be empty or filled with repeated content, as has been the case with pretty much all games where the devs talk about how massive their world is.
    I want meaningful content.

@Haru17 said in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has a good trailer (or two):

I think you've answered your own question — you're not going to be excited for a series if you don't like or respect it at a fundamental level.

I respect it, but for the right things. I can also see where the strengths and weaknesses are in the games I like.

@Haru17 said in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has a good trailer (or two):

But just to set the record straight, certain 3D Zeldas have had excellent stories. Ocarina of Time for its time and production values, Majora's Mask has a "vibe," and Twilight Princess wrote an absolutely amazing new character who essentially served as the protagonist. Plus, TP had amazing scene direction. Just some of my favorite cuts and imagery in gaming.

I think you misunderstood. For example a good story can be told with just text, a bad (or non-existant) story cannot be told with just production values. Production values can enhance the storytelling sure but Ocarina of Time has a barebones story. I say this as someone that considers Ocarina of Time one of his favorite Zelda entries. It's similar for the rest of the Zelda games you liked.
    This is why I said that if someone wanted a Zelda game with a good story I would point them towards Alundra.

I'm not saying you cannot like the story that is present in those (or any) Zelda games, but I think you should realize that they're not amazing 10/10 stories. This no doubt intentional as well to a certain degree since Nintendo wants to keep their first party IPs like Mario and Zelda as family friendly as possible, so they keep the story simple and basic.
    So far with BotW I don't see this changing either.

But we can always agree to disagree.

• @suplextrain Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize that I liked the Zelda stories too much. I mean, they're great stories, but they're not Witcher 3 stories. They don't have this fuckin' mid-2000s protagonist grunting at shit. They don't have "moral ambiguity." They don't have "non-linear narrative." They don't have suddenly serious bad endings where everyone dies and is capital-S Sad. They don't have "player agency" in choosing which striped tunic to put on or which person to kill. They don't have 2D art to grant closure on dropped plot threads. No, they're not that caliber.

I'm a writer with no small sense of irony. Half the gaming industry prostrating themselves at the foot of this overstuffed WRPG is laughable to me. The main story? It wasn't that good. Geralt didn't change as a character. He didn't have much of an arc. Most of the plot is chasing after the protagonist — Ciri — and waiting for her to do something. The antagonist isn't interesting, he's the freakin' Lich King with the same backstory of half-measures within the given work.

And, yes, I know there's a somewhat-inherent level of bad that goes along with having a silent protagonist. That's why Twilight Princess introduces an entire other character to audibly go through a character arc and excels. Zelda isn't trying to be this tremendously philosophic, theme-rich text. They tell conventional fantasy stories, so they resolve do do so excellently. They have a set structure and mcguffins, but the better games add minor arcs and invest players in the character of each loacle. But you wouldn't realize that if the only Zelda game you've played is The Wind Waker and you saw 95% sacred shit and sister-saving before a 30-minute cutscene at the end that explains the villains backstory and divulges some undercooked themes.

Ugh. Uuuuuggggh! (noises of disgust and frustration) In case it wasn't clear, I'm not angry at you. Your ideas, kinda. You, no.

• @Haru17 said in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has a good trailer (or two):

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize that I liked the Zelda stories too much.

How did you interpret what I said in this way? I even said that it's fine to love the story in the Zelda series and that we can agree to disagree.
    My point is that you can like something but still realize that it is simplistic (which they are, intentionally so most likely as I said prior).

I mean, they're great stories, but they're not Witcher 3 stories

Not once did I bring up Witcher 3. Do you really want to get into a discussion where we compare the story of Witcher 3 to some random Zelda game? Why?
    I brought up Alundra for a reason.