The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS/WiiU)

• @Tragosaurus When saying you want more VO, I'd caution you to look at Fallout 4 as an example of maybe staying away from VO. Adding NPC's with dialogue becomes a much more expensive and time consuming process. Especially when you have to have one actor come in (main character) for every line of dialogue an NPC has.

You are bottle necked by how many lines that voice actor can record per week.

• @Stormcrownn That's fair. I haven't played Fallout 4 but I can see what your getting at. Naturally I would love every character to be voiced and be top notch quality which isn't exactly plausible in a game of this size. I feel like at least they could have fully voiced the characters that do have actors but not every NPC. Sidon audibly speaks at times but a lot of the time he doesn't.

• Oblivion had fully voiced NPCs at the beginning of last generation, so let's not pretend that fully voiced games are untenable. And Bethesda games have very manageable budgets for AAA titles.

If you want to talk turkey, Link has a lot of one-on-one cutscenes with other characters, severely hindered by the fact that he can't emote at all. And key story sequences see main characters jumping in, and out, and back into voiced lines. There's ample room for improvement, but not cause to run away from fully voiced, especially if Zelda is resolute on doing the Skyrim thing from here on out.

• @Haru17 Fully voiced is certainly possible, but its very expensive. A voiced main character is included when you say "Fully voiced". Not to mention actually getting good voice acting.

Oblivion/Skyrim were heavily criticized for having repeat voice actors and repetitious dialogue. I think Bethesda took that criticism a little too seriously, as their over correction with Fallout 4 shows.

Personally I'd rather the resources go to more world design, more interesting friendly-interactions, etc.

• @Stormcrownn 'Resources?' Nintendo has fixed development teams that are writing, not casting and directing. Those people aren't developers exactly, but rather separate voicing and localization teams.

It just speaks to ambition and how much you're willing to throw yourself behind a story. They really believed in Twilight Princess back in 2006, with how long and ornate that story was. I'd like to see the same thing, just with modern production values. I mean hell, there are so many lesser series that have been fully voiced for decades, and new series don't allow silent protagonists to put a drag on their stories. And Zelda's just better than Infamous, lmao.

• I did find it slightly annoying that Link doesn't speak or emote at all. I mean there are times when he does speak to other characters in the world but we don't get to hear or read what he is saying. He's not mute, but he is to us.
    The jumping around from voice to not in a single scene is what bothers me the most. Just choose one or the other, preferably [for me] the former. I would like just a sprinkle more resources spent on that in the future.

• So how long before Link gets mugged and turned into a fucking plant?

• The moment Link speaks actual words he becomes a character and no longer your avatar. I realize this is a sucky argument if you're a female reading this and shrug my shoulders empathetically in your direction.

I never want random NPCs to lose their charming crys for actual dialogue. Fully voiced main characters besides Link? I don't mind that. On the flip side, I'd love to hear humanoid enemies grunt out broken insults at Link during fights.

• @Mbun said in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/WiiU):

The moment Link speaks actual words he becomes a character and no longer your avatar.

Well excuuuuuuuse me princess!

• im just gonna leave this here

Youtube Video

• Surprised to see Joe do a review

Youtube Video

• Careful if you want to start a new game, it will overwrite your old one
    https://techraptor.net/content/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-delete-save

• Yeah, I think you'd need to use a different user profile for a new game, though I haven't tried it.

• Could you imagine if Zelda was all, "How's it going, fuckstick?"

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wildlands

Y'see, that dialogue would be interesting in Zelda, whereas it's just more generic macho dribble in Ghost Recon's Tom Clancy's jingoism simulator. Oh, Ubisoft... so many towers and dull murdering dudes. Yes, I'm watching the co-op stream VOD.

• @Haru17 I'm still not very far into the game (although my Switch says I've played "15 hours or more"...), but so far I'm really enjoying the writing and getting immersed in the world and story a lot more than any previous Zeldas.

I'm really, really bothered by the fact there's no recipe book, it seems like such an obvious thing to do, especially since there's

the Hyrule compendium I just acquired.

• EZA, Your Nintendo streams are washed out so here you go. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIiijEKOFtU&index=20&t=20s&list=WL

• @Axel Yeah, it's very strangely missing any materials that aren't plant based, not to mention no section for armor. A pretty huge omission considering that the Sheikah sensor is advanced enough to even track weapons on friendly NPCs.

I just found my playtime and it said 167 hours. Manage expectations.

• @Axel It sucks, but at the same time I've been enjoying making my own by taking pictures of ones I find in the world. Most I use the in-game camera for, but for the book recipes I gotta use the Switch's built in screenshot button, luckily it's as easy and quick to dip out of the game and look at the recipe on the album on Switch's menu whenever I need it. I already love the screenshot button, just wish I could privately upload the pictures it takes like you could on 3DS with Miiverse Album or simply opening the net browser and emailing yourself pics.

Real deal spoiler below. You've been warned.

Cooking by the Book

Real deal spoiler above. You've been warned.

• Thunderstorms

SUCK ASS!

• Just fast travel if you don't want to deal with thunderstorms and lack the non-metallic weapons to use.