The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS/WiiU)

• @Haru17 167 hours. Damn.

@Mbun Yes I'm also taking loads of screenshots, this game is so gorgeous! Good idea to snap pics of recipes, I'm gonna do just that :)

• I'm going to post some of my favorite pictures I've taken (the straight quality of both these and the PS4 camera admittedly isn't great). DO NOT click unless you have beaten the game properly with all of the dungeons complete, as they contain MAJOR SPOILERS:

This is... all of the random events and world state changes. I think I'm only missing Satori Mountain and perhaps the thundercloud. Pretty nice coincidence, and I got four or five other shots of it too (this one was the best).
    Spoiler

The final battle was so Twilight Princess-y that they even had to sneak in the curtain of Twilight itself.
    alt text

• I found this old Link to the Past commercial that I remember seeing as a kid. Crazy how much it resembles what BotW ended up being.

Youtube Video

• alt text

So, the completing set of Link amiibo got announced with their corresponding shades of green to be available June 23. I haven't been in this thread much, 'cause completing Zelda was so exhausting that I just kind of fell into Persona 5. I also don't see a ton of people discussing the game anymore, which is weird given how many people seemed to be into the whole player agency pitch. Anyway, I'll still be updating this thread with the DLC info when that comes out, 'cause it ain't over yet.

And if you haven't listened to this yet, fix that. It's not spoilers unless you go flipping though the playlist or YouTube recommendations.

Youtube Video

• @Haru17 said in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/WiiU):

I also don't see a ton of people discussing the game anymore, which is weird given how many people seemed to be into the whole player agency pitch.

I am deep into this game and loving every second of it, but I'm not writing anything here because I don't want to spoil anything for anyone. And since the game is completely non-linear, I can't even preface my posts with "Spoiler if you haven't finished the third dungeon" or something. Something I've done in my first 5 hours could be a spoiler to someone who's played 30 hours.

Maybe we can have a separate spoiler thread for people who have already finished the game or don't care!

• Edit: Okay, I think I've finally rounded up all of the marketing material. If I missed something, let me know. The concept art album in particular has a ton of new character designs from rips of the guidebook.

@Axel Well, it's a month after release, so I think putting world spoilers under a tag will be fine if you have any thoughts or stories you would like to share. Despite its obscene duration, there are definitely some people like myself who have already finished and fully explored the game. It's polite to mention if it's about the ending or a particular region/chapter of the main quest.

• @Axel That's the thing. After a few days I talked with my friends about where we went first, and all of us went in a different direction and did certain milestones first.

I'm pretty near the end of the main quest line (with all the parts done) and this really is an incredible game. The last "thing" so to speak just has an epic fucking feel to it, and it's amazing.

There are two things I would've liked though:

1) A recipe tracker or system that gets filled in as you go.
    ! 2) It would be nice to have more customisation over your house and make it feel a bit more cosy. A very slight thing but I love the idea of owning your own property in a Zelda title and doing it up.

• Zelda's back, baby, and the DLC's got some real dumb stuuuuuuuff!!!

http://zelda.com/breath-of-the-wild/news/expansion-pass-dlc-pack-1-detailed

alt text

So apparently the new map feature (called the 'Hero's Path') and hard mode kinda suck — just a line on the map showing where you've been and a level up and regenerating health for enemies. No new enemies or anything, though there is a cryptic tease about enemies and treasure chests in the sky. They are also adding a custom fast travel point.

There will be a 45-room enemy rush mode where the Master Sword was sheathed. Link will fight through those enemies without any starting equipment or weapons to unlock the 'true power of the Master Sword.' Sounds way like a Silent Realm to me.

There will apparently also be 8 treasure chests placed 'around Hyrule' containing throwback gear like the amiibo, but of course the amiibo stuff is separate to that and probably won't be available for a while yet. As well as a temporary render appearance, this armor also seems to have placeholder names. 'Midna's Helmet' would be more correctly referred to as a shard of the Fused Shadow, and the 'Korok Mask' would be better termed 'Makar's Face.'

alt text

alt text

• Patch out today let's you pick different languages for cut scenes

• When you allude to flying enemies in a game that suffers from very few enemy types, what do you do? Copy paste Moblins in the skyyyy!!!

alt text

Also, the Trial of the Sword looks to just be the same enemy camps put into shrine rooms. More shrines. Joy.

alt text

alt text

Source: https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/a4bfb7ad-2626-11e7-8f53-063b7ac45a6d.html

• On the bright side hopefully completeing it will make the Master Sword unbreakable, and ridiculously OP

• @DMCMaster Nope. Just makes it permanently stick to it's shining state where it's 60 attack instead of 30.

• @Churchy

Recipe tracker for sure! It got real annoying scrolling through my infinite list of ingredients to manually add everything. Especially when all I wanted to was create like 15 of the same meal.

And yeah my hopes weren't very high for that new map feature and hard mode. I probably wouldn't have got it no matter what it was though because I usually never get any DLC. Once I've invested my time in a game and beat it, especially a game as long as Zelda, I am usually ready to move onto something different. Upsetting it wasn't anything more though.

• So what is everyones hope for the story DLC?
    I'd love to get like a epilogue where we rebuild various landmarks across Hyrule, kinda like the Tarry town sidequest just bigger

• @Mbun Even that would be better than the Blade of Evil(*)'s Bane and weak ranged attacks. *Evil not including Bokoblins and Moblins literally spawned from Ganon's dark energy or the direct influence of Ganon himself. Setting aside the clear point of criticism that The Wind Waker allowed you to power up the Master Sword to its glowy form at launch, I just like how the Master Sword of Apparent Resurrection feels. The 'bwah' that you feel when you strike enemies.

@DMCMaster At this point I don't think they can make good on the story and actual amount of Zelda game presented without a playable area of 100 years ago Hyrule with a story of Link, Zelda, and the champions investigating the alluded to signs of the coming Calamity including new enemies and a 3+ hour water temple with a legit dungeon item that you can take back to the present day game world. Every open world game though is so fearful of changing the state of its game world, which is why Breath of the Wild never lets you get a good look at Hyrule before or after the era of the Calamity and why other open world RPGs resolve their would-be branching narratives in 2D art cutscenes. Of course I seem to have higher standards than every other open world-gobbling gamer (I fully acknowledge that is an egotistical statement and accept that).

• @DMCMaster Gotta be

Playing as Princess Zelda awakening to her powers during the moments when Link is being rushed off to the Shrine of Resurrection, having to fend for herself for the first time in her tasks of getting the Master Sword to the Great Deku Tree to protect it, then trek back into Hyrule Castle itself to fight or perform her ritual to keep Calamity Ganon sealed until Link returns to defeat it, possibly with telepathic calls of or quick cuts to the fights of the Champions being inevitably overwhelmed by the Malice Calamity Ganon sent out to claim the Divine Beasts, Zelda's resolve and possibly power growing stronger as each ally falls, knowing she's truly the last hope of Hyrule.

Oh wait, you said hope. I guess some dumb side story about Beedle.

@Haru17 It just bothers me that the Master Sword slumbered those 100 years and regained it's strength, but not really cause it frequently runs out of energy and vanishes away to some unknown place (possibly that pedestal?) for 10 minutes to recharge before teleporting back to you. Then we finally get this chance for them to include a way to make it OP, and instead of listening to criticism and giving everyone one single weapon that will never break during the mid-late game only after you do this special quest, they simply make it glow 24/7. Would've been nice to always have a weaker yet reliable backup sword that never breaks for those damage sponge hardmode enemies but nope Nintendo.

• glad i didn't buy the DLC yet. hopefully they'll convince me to get pack 2. pack 1 is lame.

• Wow, that's pretty bad DLC.

• @Mbun said in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/WiiU):

Then we finally get this chance for them to include a way to make it OP, and instead of listening to criticism and giving everyone one single weapon that will never break during the mid-late game only after you do this special quest, they simply make it glow 24/7. Would've been nice to always have a weaker yet reliable backup sword that never breaks for those damage sponge hardmode enemies but nope Nintendo.

I mean, of all the problems I have with this open world not-really-a-Zelda game, the weapon durability isn't one. If anything the game gives you too many weapons. The Master Sword basically is what you just described, it's just kind of underwhelming that the Blade of Evil's Bane is probably weaker than other weapons when you get it and has the greatest utility when used to mine and chop down trees without losing weapons. Oh, and that skyward strikes are still weak and useless because of the low damage and long charge time.