The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS/WiiU)

• @suplextrain I'm not using "liked" in a highly particular sense. So, liked / respected / though were well-written / enjoyed / recognized as quality. Liked like that.

• Global Moderator

@Haru17 No need to get snarky especially when the poster you're talking to didn't even bring up the game you are mentioning.

• Phew, okay — I just update the OP with all of the media for Breath. There's a surprising amount of it, with more repeat stuff from the E3 demo in the lowermost section. Hope you find it entertaining!

• just a question i heard monilith soft was co developing this with Nintendo is that true?

• @FF7Cloud They're helping with the open world tech to an unknown extent. Either Tokyo or Kyoto, I don't remember which.

• alt text

Zelda's Facebook: "Now until the launch of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, we’ll be exploring the Hyrulean landscape with new screenshots."

A couple of things.

Firstly, see how the green trees are all pines? And the red ones all deciduous? They seem to be teasing that seasons things REAL hard. Unlike in Fable 3, this seedling may yet grow into a grand tree of ambition.

Secondly — hype hype hype hype hyyype! I remember they did a "daily screenshot" for WoW: Cataclysm leading up to the 2010 launch and I was so into it. This isn't daily — and the game certainly isn't Blizzard's trash — but it could still be very, very exciting.

Finally, "until the launch." These pictures could become treacherous with environmental spoilers as they progress. But until then? Sooooo hype!

• Also interesting with that I think is the whole "until launch thing" when we don't even really know when launch is. I know that there were rumors or reports of the game not being able to make it to the launch of the Switch, but was that ever confirmed?

• I was so excited for this game when it was announced forever ago and have been deflating ever since. Like someone mentioned we haven't seen any dungeons which is a huge part of the game. I'm sure they are there and great but where are they? I'm tried of seeing the world, the more I see of it the more it seems like there is nothing to do except wander. Sure you can hunt, fish, explore, climb, take out outposts, etc. but why? Why will I want to do these things? I am so excited to see how this game ends up though because its either going to be a HUGE hit or pretty disappointing, I don't think there will be a middle ground.

• @Tragosaurus said in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has a good trailer (or two):

Why will I want to do these things?

I think this is an important question for the open world genre generally, but I'm not worried about it for Zelda. More than any other game, Zelda just looks fun to tool around in. So far, it's "What if a Far Cry game played like Zelda in the world of an Elder Scrolls game." I think that'll be enough for a great game, but the memorability and staying power will depend on the dungeons and story.

I really do get the feeling that they're holding some stuff back and I appreciate that spoiler-averse approach from Nintendo's marketing and management. Even Skyward Sword, if you remember, was an incredibly diverse game and world. They put a ton of stuff into Zelda games, and this is the longest dev cycle in recent memory.

• It's not an "official trailer", but this gameplay compilation video of things people discovered during E3 is why I'm hype about this game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKvSw6rk75w
    This is not your typical open world game. There's tons of physics based systems and tools to make everyone's playthrough unique. This game will let you tackle obstacles many different ways and not just through picking different skill trees. Even enemies will occasionally have unconventional interactions with one another by accident. https://puu.sh/pC7tW/242bf4d528.webm In most games, that barrel would just clip through that enemy, because the attack isn't intended to hit them, but Breath of the Wild doesn't restrict this. It just lets things happen as they would. That's why this is my most anticipated game despite not even being a big Zelda guy.

• I'm getting a switch no matter what, but this new Zelda doesn't look worth it imo. It's like a poor man's Dragons Dogma
    I have also yet to see anything inspiring or new in it to warrant a purchase

• @siegeh Well if you don't like open world survival games, by all means, don't buy it.

• @Haru17 Oh yeah for sure. I used to be all about the open world genre but got burnt out on it for that exact reason, lack of incentive to explore. I'm certainly not knocking the game, just stating how i personally feel about it with my current gaming tastes. Horizon is in a unknown state for me as well but I played that at PSX and its pretty fun. The world also looks really good and the story seems like it has potential. Not a day 1 purchase but it is something I'm interested in. I love the console Zelda games but since this one is so different I hope they didn't stray too far from what made me love all of the others. I want it to be one of the greats! I just really hope the WiiU version isn't incredibly compromised because I don't see myself getting a Switch at launch, granted we don't even know what our future mid-January selves know.

• Ring-A-Ling,
    Hear them ring,
    Soon it will be Christmas day~

alt text

(Official Concept Art)

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

• A new type of mini-guardian reveals itself!

alt text

"As you’ve seen in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Link will need to battle enemies called Guardians that come in a variety of sizes and shapes." —Zelda Facebook

alt text

The Japanese Twitter's Christmas art:

alt text

• is a piece of Breath of the Wild art that references the original Zelda's concept art.

alt text

alt text

• The new year is here and there is a new horse bazaar screenshot to go with it. It's a different horse market than the one in the trailer, though.

alt text

• Introducing a New Breed of Hylian.

alt text

• native american hylians?

• @FF7Cloud Not necessarily.

I'm talkin' about Horse Hylians!

alt text