Death Stranding

• The EZA review made me delete the game out of my Amazon preorders, and then I watched another one (SkillUp) that made me consider putting it back. I honestly think describing it is hard because we as gamers bring a bunch of baggage into it and make assumptions. Like "traversal" means we just hold down an analog stick in a direction, and occasionally pull up a menu and place a ladder or whatever. Boring right?
    Well... maybe not?
    lol

this game.

I think I may wait and pick it up at Christmas if I clear a few of the half started games out of my backlog

• I'm definitely still going to get the game. I quite enjoys Kojima's weirdness and this looks like that at full force.

Plus how can I not love a game with a Monster Energy drinking sequence?

• All the reviews cemented my feelings toward this game. I'm completely fascinated by this game and respect what it's going for, but I don't want to play it.

• This looks way worse then I was expecting. Menus are egregious and reading giant blocks of text as one of the main storytelling devices is disappointing. It really doesn't look good. But just having an open world to explore can be entertaining. I really hope reviews are keeping stuff from us because it looks like a joke. Walking from point A to B being the vast majority of the game, occasionally interrupted with bad combat it's worrying.

I see lots reviews defending the game for being boring as an artistic choice. I find kinda difficult to defend that. There's plenty of slow films I LOVE. But I don't think they're boring . I don't think to myself "Gosh good thing this is a boring movie". Those are the one I don't like.

I guess in one week I'll know it.

• Youtube Video

This is a good review.

• @el-shmiablo That's the one I linked to up there ^

• @tokyoslim GET OFF MY BACK, MAN
    šŸ˜˜

But yeah, that review reminded me why I shouldn't be skeptical of this game. Like the guy says, this is "peak Kojima" which is exactly what I signed up for when I decided to just let to hype for this game saturate me to the core.
    Other gamers want that instant gratification a game like Doom provides, and that is all fine, but at the of the day the artistry and talentbehind Death Stranding is hard to ignore.

• I find Skill up as a smug, arrogant, pretentious, patronising drama queen. Everything that's wrong with gaming culture. Just watch his Nier automata review where he claims he's the only reviewer that's worthy enough to review the game properly.

• @paulmci27 I mean, I agree with you about some of that, but I also think they make very good, well concise reviews. Their at least partly responsible for Warframe's renaissance over the past few years, and seem to have a higher regard for gaming as an art form than your average big name reviewers.

• @el-shmiablo You're right. It's probably not cool shitting on people. He does some good stuff. He just rubs me the wrong way. I'm just not a fan of click bait content.

• Based on many of the reviews, the gameplay sticks out as the weak point. I was on the fence between this game or Outer Worlds. Definitely leaning toward the latter now. No harm in checking this out when it goes on sale.

• Based on all the reviews I've now read and watched, I think I'll pass on this one.

I don't think I'll enjoy the narrative, and the gameplay sounds more tedious than entertaining. I feel like the only reason I'd still like to give it a shot is for "research" purposes, but there's so many other games out now, or soon, that appeal to me way more, I just can't dedicate 50 hours to this one just to maybe catch a glimpse of brilliance.

• I'm pretty disappointed that the freaky stuff like the ghost people turns out to be a non-factor. I was expecting a lot more nerve wracking stuff based on the trailers.

• I never thought that this will be a ''FedEx Simulator'' and just was thinking that ''Ohh... They are just not showing the heavy parts'' but no. This game's MAIN FOCUS is indeed a ''FedEx Simulator''.

I am not dissing anyone. I just wanted to say that I was wrong about my assumption of ''There is so much more than that'' and it turns out it is not ''so much'' just ''a little bit more''.

I'm dissapointed about average action and stealth the most. I will still try it eventually, I'm curious about the story. But if I don't like it, I will remain cautious about Kojima from now on.

• To offer kind of a different take, while I don't sympathise with Kojima and criticised the marketing for this game I'm still going to get this game day one. I think Kojima is terrible mixing the mundane with the bizarre and prefer to have him fully embracing his weirdness and sillyness. And there's also value in a game that is not formulaic and allows for full creative vision. I might hate it but I still want to experience it.

• Like the SkillUp review says, calling it a FedEx simulator is like calling The Odyssey the story of a boat ride.
    You aren't going to experience the traditional gamrplay loop that most games fall into because that isn't the point with Death Stranding. The traversal from one place to another is the point, because no other game has put such a focus on the traversal. The asynchronous multiplayer is the point, since everyone is working together towards a common goal.
    Even now, knowing full well that this is very much what we've been shown and not much else, I am still very excited to play the game and experience Kojima's vision.

• @el-shmiablo said in Death Stranding:

Like the SkillUp review says, calling it a FedEx simulator is like calling The Odyssey the story of a boat ride.

Of course it is an exaggeration and I even said my main problems.

@el-shmiablo said in Death Stranding:

You aren't going to experience the traditional gamrplay loop that most games fall into because that isn't the point with Death Stranding. The traversal from one place to another is the point, because no other game has put such a focus on the traversal.

I am not so sure about that. If it is indeed an 50 hours game, I don't know how many hours it can go with new things about cargo.

@el-shmiablo said in Death Stranding:

The asynchronous multiplayer is the point, since everyone is working together towards a common goal.

It is a good idea for sure but I won't play it online. But I get the idea, yeah.

Besides these, I never interpret ''boring'' as a good thing. Confused, discomfortable etc are okay; it can work when it's intented. But I can't comprehend that ''boring'' is a good thing for anything. I don't want to talk before playing it but ''boring'' is never a good thing for me.

• I feel like regardless of what you think of the game, it has to be appreciated. It is so incredibly rare for a game with a massive budget to be as challenging as Death Stranding is. This level of experimentation is not uncommon in the indie space, but a AAA game having it is pretty unheard of.

The fact that this game is settling at around an 86 OpenCritic with reviews ranging from 5s to 10s is so much more exciting than everyone just agreeing that the game is an 86. For the first time, even after embargo has lifted, we don't really know what we're getting into. That's pretty damn cool.

• The IGN review is just BS, After this year IGN reviews problems with RE2 Ace Combat and the guy who stole from boomstick they lost me for ever.