Death Stranding

• I think his is the game that will change the way we think. It will stop and make people think about how disconnected we have all become. We need to stop this segregation, building these barriers or walls; instead we need to build connections, unions, we need to care more for those around us and work with one another towards a brighter future!

• Anybody had a chance to dive deep yet? I'm really curious to hear from some normies. Even the EZA review sounded like it didn't know how it wanted to score it. Will be good to just hear whether people are finding it enjoyable or not.

• For anyone curious as YouTube sorta spoiled it for me the total run time of all the cutscenes is about

10 hours

• Gotta say it's pretty awesome with the whole connecting theme being reinforced with it's gameplay, especially in the second area.
    You go about doing your own thing when suddenly you turn a corner and theres a rope or ladder, or maybe just some random equipment someone left or lost someplace. You can use it or return it.

Speaking of the second area, I've taken to putting watchtowers and postbox near road pavers to help draw attention to them. Why?
    Watchtowers are big and pretty visible from a good distance away, and postbox for convenient community lockers.

Only thing I wish so far is that they tighten up the trike controls in a patch, feels like it turns far, far too wide.

• I've put several hours into the game now and I honestly have to put my hands up and admit that I'm enjoying it a lot more than I expected to. My favourite aspect of the game is the sense of isolation and solitude it gives you, something I expect to get even better as I travel longer distances and further from your initial starting point. I'm quite an introverted person so despite the games narrative seemingly wanting to give disconnection (or even going so far as to poke at policies like isolationism) a bad name all the time, I'm glad that the game still allows you to feel and be all by yourself so often, even with the social elements that are in place. I just took my longest trek thus far and I must say despite most of it simply boiling down to nothing but walking, it truly did recharge me, allowing me to just switch off and feel at ease. The beautiful environments(HDR is a must imo) and the fantastic soundtrack that kicks in from time to time really help with this though and I do wonder if many other developers would have been able to actually pull this concept off.

I have to leave for work shortly, but I'm really looking forward to picking it back up when I get back home.

alt text

• I've tried fine tuning the HDR in this (and others) but my TV is weird with HDR. Like I'll fine tune it once and everything looks great, then come back later (after work or whatever) and have to retune the HDR settings again.

• @sheria
    Btw are you playing completely offline or online?

• @dmcmaster said in Death Stranding:

@sheria
    Btw are you playing completely offline or online?

I was going to play it offline but chose against it in the end. I've obviously used the odd bridge or ladder Ive stumbled across but I haven't been paying any attention to the online aspect of the game to be honest, it just hasn't felt necessary, at least not yet anyway. I want it left on though as it does feel like something would be missing otherwise.

• @sheria
    Trust me when I say it's worth it for the roadway in the second area

And you best be liking my roadway, took alot of time and effort to build that. No seriously I seem to be like the only person that has completed like 4 major chunks of the road.

Side note
    I wonder how the online is filtered, is it by location, is it global, can't seem to find any info on it.

• Made me laugh

• Not a spoiler but some little easter eggs.
    Also the birthday message from Cliff is pretty funny.
    Youtube Video

• @sheria said in Death Stranding:

I've put several hours into the game now and I honestly have to put my hands up and admit that I'm enjoying it a lot more than I expected to. My favourite aspect of the game is the sense of isolation and solitude it gives you, something I expect to get even better as I travel longer distances and further from your initial starting point. I'm quite an introverted person so despite the games narrative seemingly wanting to give disconnection (or even going so far as to poke at policies like isolationism) a bad name all the time, I'm glad that the game still allows you to feel and be all by yourself so often, even with the social elements that are in place. I just took my longest trek thus far and I must say despite most of it simply boiling down to nothing but walking, it truly did recharge me, allowing me to just switch off and feel at ease. The beautiful environments(HDR is a must imo) and the fantastic soundtrack that kicks in from time to time really help with this though and I do wonder if many other developers would have been able to actually pull this concept off.

I have to leave for work shortly, but I'm really looking forward to picking it back up when I get back home.

alt text

Is this better than MGS5?

because MGS5 was so damn boring and emply and repetetive. is it any better?

• @b-cell said in Death Stranding:

Death Stranding is definitely repetitive. It could be seen as empty too, but I think it all depends on how you want to perceive things. I honestly don't see you liking it.

• It's empty...and not. It's kinda hard to really describe but everytime you come across some rope, ladder, generator, or even supplies left behind by others it makes the world feel more alive, and it helps reinforce this whole "were all in this together " mentality, and it leads to many "oh thank god" moments where just as you think you've hit a dead end only for a ladder or rope to be there, or a shelter or something that someone has placed.

Like I've even taken to making some supplies and dropping them off in post boxes for others. Like I might have plenty of ladders, anchors, power skeletons, even vehicles when I can, and in turn others are doing the same.

• I'm reaching my limit with this game. There's cool stuff here but I feel that for each thing I enjoy there's 2 I don't. Then there's the writing in the cutscenes, that occasionally it's so bad that's not even funny. But I'll keep pushing myself in the name of science!

• I’m wondering if a lot of Death Stranding’s game design comes from the cutting room floor for the nuclear disarmament part of MGSV. Like needing to work together to save the planet kinda thing.

I’m still busy with other games so this might end up being a Christmas gift game, but despite how much I can’t stand open world game over saturation these days, I sort of find the isolation appealing.

I miss in the PS2 era there were a lot of games that felt hollow. Especially when you complete everything and there isn’t anything else to do. For some reason I like that feeling in games. It’s just raw exploring a game world. Leave me alone with the music and I’ll be happy. At least when I was a kid I liked that.

That said, I really don’t like Zelda BotW so I can only imagine how I feel about Death Stranding.

• @sheria said in Death Stranding:

@b-cell said in Death Stranding:

Death Stranding is definitely repetitive. It could be seen as empty too, but I think it all depends on how you want to perceive things. I honestly don't see you liking it.

it seem like kojima have not made a great game since MGS1. infact he never even used solid snake after that

In MGS2, we know he troll the audience and we play as raiden, MGS3 was prequel where we play as big boss, in MGS4 we play as old solid snake who looks ugly with mustachu. MGS5 once again prequel but a bland open world.

i mean 5 main games and you only play as snake in 2 games (and in 1 he is old).

• Put about 5-6 hours in so far and I'm surprised with how much i've been enjoying it. Mostly I think all of the caution and warning about how dreadful the first 10 hours are set low expectations. I've been enjoying the gameplay and story so far. Honestly the cut scenes and story so far have been kinda interesting, I personally don't mind Kojima's writing style (outside of his depiction of women) so it's kinda been what I expected (a.k.a. long winded).

I should state that repetition doesn't really bug me too much (I'm a Shenmue Fan after all) so these back and forth fetch quest have been kinda enjoyable, more so once I got a vehicle. I'm still early in and its hard to say how far I'll get (Jedi is on Friday and that game looks really cool) but I dig it. Right now I'm very interested to see what all is gonna happen.

• Just an FYI as I forgot it, or didn't hear it, for the delivery to South Knot City stop at the Distribution Center on the way. Went all the way to the city only to fail.

• https://wccftech.com/kojima-death-stranding-had-stronger-criticism-in-the-us-possibly-because-it-flies-above-shooters/

“I must say that the game received rave reviews, especially in Europe and Japan. Here in the United States, however, we have had stronger criticisms. Perhaps it is a difficult game to understand for a certain type of critic and audience. Americans are great fans of first-person shooters and Death Stranding isn't one, it flies higher.

"I always try to create new things and disputes and discussions are fine, but it must be said that the Italians or the French have a different artistic sensibility that allows them to appreciate this kind of very original product, not only in video games but also in cinema.“

Ass.