Death Stranding

• @themarcv

Well I think there are a few problems here.

1. Journalists should know how to ask better questions than just "why do you think some American outlets gave you as 6/10"? That is paraphrased (obviously) but questions like that are extremely crass and you wouldn't see that in another industry. For example, I have yet to see anybody ask director Abdellatif Kechiche how he went from winning Cannes Film fest, to his next film being possibly the worst film of the year.

2. Kojima's take on pew pew headshots implies that FPS games aren't a worldwide phenomena, which makes no sense. He knows just as well as anybody that the whole world loves FPS games so that's not a good answer to the question. Again, nobody would be upset if he just said "Death Stranding is challenging and I believe critics may be challenged in interpreting it as well."

I don't think his response is as obnoxious as people are taking it though. It's pretty much impossible to prove what he's saying as fact, but us in North America do have trash taste in mainstream art. That said, gimme 8 more Rocky movies and I wish football was on every day of the week.

• @dipset said in Death Stranding:

but us in North America do have trash taste in mainstream art

Again, a generality. Of course there are many that enjoy and only consume what some my think of less critical/thoughtful media. However you can enjoy Rocky movies and art house films. Do agree with you though, he should have left it at; this game is challenging and could be difficult for some to appreciate or enjoy.

• I wish people would talk about the game and not the wacky shit Kojima says.

• From https://wccftech.com/kojima-death-stranding-had-stronger-criticism-in-the-us-possibly-because-it-flies-above-shooters/

"[UPDATE 2]

Sony got in touch with us after checking the original interview audio and clarified that the exact quote by Kojima was '...in America there are a lot of FPS fans, maybe those fans are saying this is like a different game and are not rating it very high'."

Far less offensive. Still feels like a backhanded dig but way less condescending.

• @themarcv

That's what I mean, its such a generalization that its impossible to prove.

@E_Zed_Eh_Intern

Yeah I mean, that to me, that is far less condescending. He was asked a question and gave a speculative response. That version of the quotation is less fact-of-the-matter and more like a pondering response. He's speaking in "maybes" and not specifics in this context.

@El-Shmiablo

Yeah I get that. Sometimes I get carried away talking about the team more than the game. For example, I swear I love Platinum and want to talk about Platinum when describing Astral Chain but in the end, I should probably focus more on what Astral Chain does and doesn't do - especially because that game was 'meh'.

• @el-shmiablo Have you played it yet? I just got the episode three, about 10 hours in and personally im still really enjoying it. If this part is suppose to be the real slog I think I'm going to enjoy this game.

• @themarcv I do not and probably wont until Xmas. I'm very much stoked and have a few friends who are playing feeding me info that just makes me want it all the more.

• Just had my first encounter with Cliff/Mads, wasn't what I thought it would be.

• @dmcmaster said in Death Stranding:

@sheria
    Trust me when I say it's worth it for the roadway in the second area

And you best be liking my roadway, took alot of time and effort to build that. No seriously I seem to be like the only person that has completed like 4 major chunks of the road.

Side note
    I wonder how the online is filtered, is it by location, is it global, can't seem to find any info on it.

I've built quite a lot of road so far, in both the second and third areas. Where we're going though, we don't need roads...lol. I'm in chapter 6 at the moment going up and down these snowy mountains. It's quite a slog at times and obviously no place for vehicles. Instead I've taken some time out and building myself quite the complicated zip-line network. I can now zip up and down to the Mountaineer in around 60 seconds ^^

• My greatest creation! (Chapter 5 spoilers)

• I thought Ziplines only covered like 300m?

• @dmcmaster said in Death Stranding:

I thought Ziplines only covered like 300m?

Between each one, yeah.

• Does anyone notice anything about this game's politics? I hear journalists talk about climate change (which I don't even see), but there's a lot of other stuff going on that no one is talking about. It's almost like people don't want to acknowledge it.

• @kris

Could have been a part of the review embargo that I think lifted a week ago. If you listen to spoiler discussions, I bet they talk about it there.

• @dipset

I listened to IGN, and Easy Allies spoiler discussions. I also heard the discussions on Kinda Funny and Giant Bomb. On Giant Bomb, the sentiment from Alex is "I wish this would say something". Vinny and Jeffs take on it is that it's a stoner conversation about "we're so connected that we are not connected, whoa"
    On IGN's spoilercast, the only attention they give to the themes of the game is climate change, which I think is kind of a stretch.
    On the easy allies spoilercast, there was some talk about climate change, but I'm happy that Ian noticed that the game subverts the message of connecting America by Sam choosing to become a dad and ditch his profession.

I have not heard anything about the obvious pro-life messages. Deadman's character at first says "You should remember that BBs are just equipment. Try not to get attached." and later on becomes attached. He also says "unborn children sacrificed on the altar of progress is our greatest sin".

This game talks a lot about the sacrifices of progress. There are emails that mention the phrase directly. Also, this game isn't just about connecting America. It's showing that connection is good and bad. People can acquire resources at the cost becoming vulnerable. The entire point in connecting is so that Amelie can cause an extinction. That looks to me like people in government and business saying they "want to make the world a better place" but have other goals.

Cliff's story is about the government taking away his child and harvesting it "for the greater good". This game looks to me as a critique of both nationalism and globalism, both forms of connection are dangerous and allow people in power to cause damage. Sam turns his back on this to become a dad. It looks like Kojima really meant what he said.

People are being led to believe that building walls will solve all problems, others are being led to believe that having open borders will solve all problems, all these people pushing these beliefs are in it for themselves, and what we really need is family. It's funny how the president that wants to reconnect everyone is doing it to eradicate humanity. It's a critique of institutions in general, they have their own motives, and wether they say things that you like or not, they are still corruptible.

Please use spoiler tags in the future. It's the eye symbol above the text box. -Bloodworth

• @kris Jesus fucking christ man, at least post a spoiler warning.

• @el-shmiablo Here I was 2 weeks past release, 50h into the game, having avoided spoilers only to come here and accidentally read about the ending. omfg

• Thank God I didn't check this post cause I haven't played the game yet. I was just speculating why people might not have mentioned those things.

I'm out until I play it. This thread ain't safe.

• Why would you go into a Death Stranding thread?

• @iboshow For discussion about the game, where hopefully people will use the easy to use spoiler tags to post spoilers for the gane?