Death Stranding

• @sheria

To be fair, most video game actors are TV caliber (usually network TV has bad acting imo) but a lot of times they knock it out of the park in games.

Prime example is Elena in Uncharted. TV actor who excels in the role. Miranda in Mass Effect 2 is a TV actor and pretty bad on TV but she works out in ME2.

Also, how can Death Stranding even be pretentious when we don’t know anything about it?

• @dipset said in Death Stranding:

@sheria

Also, how can Death Stranding even be pretentious when we don’t know anything about it?

I've found all of the trailers so far to be rather vague and pretentious, I'm simply expecting the same kind of thing in this next reveal, that's all. I mentioned actors as a bit of a joke simply because the actors/actresses involved have been such an unnecessarily large part of the hype for this game thus far; most of the articles I came across were promoting the game by highlighting names. I'm in no way saying that Mads Mikkelsen or Norman Reedus etc. are going to be bad, not at all, but I wouldn't get excited about those kind of name drops either.

All in all, I was merely poking fun at how disappointing their revealing of this "game" has been thus far, mostly due to the way in which they've done it. I'm simply expecting another reveal that leaves us with more questions than answers again.

• @dipset Nothing "B" or TV about Mads. He's so badass he almost killed 007.

To me, the mood of every trailer I've seen so far has been extremely pretentious. To the point that the next trailer should be blasting dubstep throughout and at some point text pops up on a black screen "This" > (cut to gameplay footage) > "Game" > (cut to gameplay footage) > "IS" > (cut to gameplay footage) > "SMART".

• Nobody better be talking shit about Mads.

• @sheria That's actually an interesting thought. I'm not saying that it's the case or that I hope it's the case but what if it does end up not being a fun game to play or like a Quantic Dream type experience where "active gameplay" is not at the forefront. I'm curious how people would react.

• I wish people would stop using words that they don't understand, i.e. "Pretentious" .

• I wish there were less thinly veiled personal attacks on the forum.

With actual content relate to the game, a very unsubstantial tease shared by Kojima.

idk how to share tweets :(. And right after I write this it works just fine fml.

• @bard91 I mean, there are lots of people here who don't understand what the word means, so I'm not refering to any one person in particular.

• @el-shmiablo

per Google: attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

Seems bang on to me

• @e_zed_eh_intern As Dipset pointed out, how can it be pretentious when so little is known about it?

People need to stop confusing having more than zero emotional intelligence as being "pretentious".

• @el-shmiablo said in Death Stranding:

@e_zed_eh_intern As Dipset pointed out, how can it be pretentious when so little is known about it?

Ok, I would like to answer this but I'm not looking to start a war here. It's my opinion that it's marketing is pretentious, it is your opinion that it is not so I don't want to try to convince you, I just want to explain. Until the most recent trailer, we only saw several videos of different strange ideas like a pregnant man and a baby in a glass pod. Showing more than one of these trailers and no gameplay drove me to receive this as the developer or marketer telling me "Gameplay is not important. We have ideas". Then we get hands with "Help Us Reconnect" (posted after my initial post but not helping to change my opinion in any way).

TLDR I guess I maybe feel like if I asked for gameplay, people would tell me I just don't get it. Likely through my own faults but it's just how I feel.

• @sheria

I see what you mean about the actors. Its like the video game version of big names over an actual quality film. Like, Rihanna cannot act her way out of a wet paper bag, but they'll still throw her name in the trailer.

I disagree that these trailers have been pretentious. They've had me just as gripped as the Metal Gear Solid V trailers. I like the pace, I like the way the music and audio are used, and I LOVE the mystery.

I personally think that word "pretentious" gets overused. Developers and directors are extremely human. I work with directors a lot and they never feel as though they work is of some sort of extraordinary virtue or that they are making something of utmost importance. They are just working to deliver a quality product as on-time as possible.

Sure, its on a case to case basis, but I find it's often not fair to call directors or their work pretentious in my opinion. To me, its as simple as just saying "this sucks" when lots of people work hard on it and pain-staked for years. Worst offence I see is when people call Flower, Journey, and other unconventional games pretentious simply because somebody is making the game they want to make.

Not vindicating you here - its just your opinion. That's just my two cents on the overuse of that word and my personal experience with creative industries.

• @dipset I get that. I guess calling something pretentious today also usually implies you don't like it. Like you said, we don't know anything about the actual game so I have no opinion on the game itself, just the marketing. And I don't even mean to say that the marketing is objectively bad, just that it hasn't worked on me so far.

• @e_zed_eh_intern said in Death Stranding:

Showing more than one of these trailers and no gameplay drove me to receive this as the developer or marketer telling me "Gameplay is not important. We have ideas".

I'd say that is your interpretation of the Death Stranding trailers. Perhaps Kojima is indicating to you that he values the ideas within Death Stranding the most important over the gameplay. That very well could be his intention.

With that said, the onus is on you to explain how that in itself is pretentious. Kojima possibly having a different value set of what he deems important in his game doesn't directly mean he believes his game and his trailers are of some sort of greater societal importance.

FYI, I began writing this before you replied to me. I hear what you are saying about the implication of the word today, but in my opinion, the word is very personal and should be used with more intent.

• @dipset said in Death Stranding:

@e_zed_eh_intern said in Death Stranding:

Showing more than one of these trailers and no gameplay drove me to receive this as the developer or marketer telling me "Gameplay is not important. We have ideas".

I'd say that is your interpretation of the Death Stranding trailers. Perhaps Kojima is indicating to you that he values the ideas within Death Stranding the most important over the gameplay. That very well could be his intention.

With that said, the onus is on you to explain how that in itself is pretentious. Kojima possibly having a different value set of what he deems important in his game doesn't directly mean he believes his game and his trailers are of some sort of greater societal importance.

I suppose I would say that showing only these trailers has come across as something like "gameplay doesn't matter - this is bigger than games". And, you're right, this is just my interpretation.

• He keeps coming

• Just don't care really, I like "concept" trailers early on, right now I'm like - Whatever. The more they keep not showing the game, the more of an uphill battle will be to convince me buying it. I get that the Kojima name sells games by it self, I'm just in the minority that doesn't really care that much for him. I do hope the game is great.

As for being pretentious, to me it clearly is. They are trying to sell me a game without showing the game, based on the idea that Kojima's name alone is enough while showing completely vague visual concepts. The game might be the best thing ever (and let's be honest, even if it ends up being a turd it will be claimed as the best thing ever by many) but for me is just a big nothing as we stand.

• Pretension generally requires an assertion of superiority.

If the trailers were like "The revolutionary future of gaming from the director of Metal Gear Solid"

That would be pretentious.

• @tokyoslim Exactly.
    You cannot infer pretention without first understanding the author's intentions.

• Personally I also have no interest in this "game" so far, because I just can't tell what it is I'll be doing in it. Not saying it's a bad thing, it's clearly an original and very Kojima way of marketing their game, but it's not working on me. I'm intrigued, but not excited.

The day they show us (or at least describe) gameplay, I may jump on board.

As things stand, it's not even on my Desire Index.