Anyone else feeling some gaming reclusion (i.e. I really want to like this game but I'm just not feeling it)

• Hey allies,

This is something I've been feeling recently. Wondering if any of y'all get it too.

It starts something like this: You miss out on the zeitgeist of a game. A game that all your friends (and strangers online) are saying "GOTY", "10/10", "would play again". You are effectively shunned because you haven't experienced the greatness. Now you decide to pick it up and give it a try and...

You are find that you are just not that in to it. Whether it just got overhyped or maybe the game truly isn't for you. But you can't bring yourself to really like it (you probably didn't even finish the game if it was AAA-length). You know it's perfectly fine to not love a game. And you wouldn't usually be ashamed by this feeling.

But now you go back to your friends and tell them it wasn't for you. Nothing in particular (maybe you don't like the genre, or maybe you didn't quite get the hook) but it just isn't GOTY for you. Now your friends treat even more like black sheep. "But it's the best game ever. How can you not like it?"

Not a lot of answers you can give them. It's no discredit to the game. It probably is really good. But it's just not what you are in to right now.

Just with the recent talk of The Last of Us. I am reminded of how I seem to alone in complacency about the title. Along with other blasphemous ideas like "maybe I don't want to die over and over in Dark Souls."

• I am not into the Last of Us either. Or Resident Evil. I just don't care.

You're not along, at least. And I maybe even have some other crazy opinions not shared by our contemporaries. Like, I thought the ending of Mass Effect 3 was fine.

• And for that matter, I think Borderlands 2 is pretty great. Yeah I said it. It had to be said. It's a fun, expansive insane FPS/RPG that doesn't deserve the recent derision it seems to be getting.

F'it. I liked Too Human as well. Yeah it was shallow combat wise and the classes weren't fleshed out well, but it was fun and the combat system was unique. Take that, internet.

• @Sazime It's ok, this is a safe space, let it all out! ;)

I'm a big Metroid fan, and I didn't hate Other M. It was definitely not great, and not what I expect from Metroid, but it was good fun for the 5 euros I paid for it.

I also feel no love for The Last of Us, it has a good story, great direction, it's extremely well-crafted, but the gameplay annoyed me more often than not and it's nowhere near a GOTY for me. That said, I'm still looking forward to the sequel.

I got Bloodborne and started playing and got so annoyed that I stopped after a couple hours and never touched it since.

Sue me!

• I'm practically forcing myself to play Pokemon Sun still. I'm past credits and want to do sweet postgame stuff, but I started not enjoying it around the middle of the second island, although from the beginning being forced along a path felt so wrong. Feels like everyone else is loving it, and I genuinely don't want to be a buzzkill, but despite the reviews and general sentiment I feel like this is one of the worst Pokemon games in a long time.

Right now I'm basically trying to make a new team to see if I enjoy using them more, but I have to grind a ton to catch up to the level I should be at, and I don't have access to any good areas for it, so it's taking a long time. I feel like I should just put it down and move on to games I enjoy, but I know I'll just continue to grind it out, because it's Pokemon, the first main series one I've played in two years since I skipped ORAS. I really want to like it, and I'm going to keep looking for that joy in it, probably futilely, until I've polished off the regional dex and the rest of the postgame offerings, but right now it really feels like Pokemon is losing me in all the things it's doing to try and win over a bigger audience.

I've been very tempted to pop out the cart and just go back to jolly Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, a game I did put down after the credits, because there was too much other stuff to play at the time, even though I enjoyed it start to finish at least ten times as much as the best points of Pokemon Sun. I wish that game got it's due and was being talked about instead.

• @Axel You know what I loved? Watching the Super Best Friends play through last of us, and various RE games. It's weird, because I could never play them myself.

Other M wasn't horrible, but some of that dialogue is fun to laugh at. :)

• At least you have friends to talk about video games with :P
    On a more serious note, don't be afraid of having your own opinion. There's absolutely nothing wrong with havinh sharing your own opinions.
    The game from this year that I, contrary to popular, despise is Inside. There is no context, the majority of puzzles are more of a chore than a challange. The ending also made no sense. Sure there are good things about it, but overall, I think thos game is bad.
    Another unpopular opinion of mine is that Watch dogs 1 is a great game. I recognise the typicall Ubisoft graphical downgrade, but damn that geam was amazing. Aiden Pierce is a great character.

• I go through it all the time, this past year has been rife with such a topic among my peers that I'm just not understanding the hype for certain games, including ones that DO win awards.

Nobody likes everything, not even huber.

As for my list of "I don't get the hype games" here ya go:

• Overwatch (Not awful, I play it and enjoy it sometimes. I don't get the fanaticism behind it)
    • Undertale
    • Minecraft
    • Rocket League
    • H1Z1

• Global Moderator

Yeah! I remember starting up the witcher 3. People were ranting over how amazing it was and big world yada yada. I played it for about 10 hours but I never got into it, I guess at the time I was also looking at other games in my backlog. I kinda want to try it again sometime, but yeah. I wanted to like it, but we will see.

• I had this when i finally bought a PS3 in 2011 and Uncharted 1&2 (main reason was Hypedimension Neptunia though, also got GoW3), while the 1st game was alright the 2nd was just, meh, I forced me to play through it but after that I never touched a ND game again till I got U4 for free, which I havn't played yet.
    Nowadays though IDGAF anymore, other people's opinions have no affect on if I enjoy a game or not, and if I would be the only single person in the word who would like/dislike a game, it wouldn't change a damn thing.

• I'm having a hard time getting into Dragon Quest 7 on 3DS. It's weird, because JRPGs are probably my favorite genre, and I've even loved most Dragon Quest games I've played (5 is one of my all time favorite games). I generally enjoy the time I play it, it just hadn't really hooked me in a significant way.

I'm just about at the part where I unlock the ability to change classes for my party, so maybe I should go back to it after Pokemon Moon and see if that changes things, but with DQ8 right around the corner and SMT4 Apocalypse burning to be played in my backlog, it may have to wait a while longer...

• @frasafrase
    So, you don't like a game your friends like. It's not the end of the world, you have a different opinion. These friends should accept your gaming preferences the way they are. We allies will always appreciate your differences in gaming because we come under the same umbrella of loving games.

• Of the top of my mind I hate/dislike these games, which my friends and many other people love

Ni No Kuni
    Uncharted 1, 2, 3
    GTA V

I have arguments all of the time with my gaming friends about why I think these games are not good, and I don't mind it one bit.

• Yep. Most of my friends seem to like overwatch but i dont. It just doesnt click with me for whatever reason. I still think genji's a badass tho.

• The one that always comes to mind for me is GTA. I'm not a huge fan of the franchise and although I can totally appreciate how well made GTAV is, I didn't enjoy it very much.. the characters, writing, and humor just aren't for me

Overwatch is another one that I'm just not into.. I get why people like it and I don't have anything against it, but its not my kind of game.

• I mean, I want to like every game I pick up. Regardless, there are lots of beloved ones that I don't think are very good games.

Mass Effect 2 is a big one.

• A game can be a 10/10 at accomplishing what it's trying to do. That does not mean that 100% of the population will enjoy what it's trying to achieve. You are not forced to like every game that's highly rated. We don't all like the same types of games.

• For me it was the Internet opinion vs all the people around me. I don't know many that really liked Uncharted 2, but it's heralded as one of the greats everywhere you go online.

Basically there are two major ways a game can engage me: through tight, challenging gameplay or self-propelled exploration. I like to interact in meaningful ways. Uncharted actively avoids what I find engaging. You kind of just let the game happen to you.

• @bard91 I am totally on board with all the games you listed. Just couldn't get into them. I tried really hard with Ni No Kuni too, because that game was beautiful. I just hated the combat.

• I feel like I have really unpopular opinions about a lot of older games. People say that they're "timeless" but some just feel to old and clunky to me. Like FF7, I really want to like this game, and I've enjoyed let's plays of it, but that game is just unplayable to me.

Other unpopular opinion I guess, I adore part 2 of Broken Age.