What would you name the new Mario game coming to Switch?

• U R MR GAY 2?

Failing that I suggest Mr. Shigsy's Game O' Fun 73

• @bard91 said in What would you name the new Mario game coming to Switch?:

Super Mario: Revengeance

Now that would be the best worst Mario game ever made!

• Super Mario Switch, as others have said.

If they were smart they'd name it Super Mario Bros 4 (or whatever), or better yet...

Super Mario Galaxy 2.

It helps bridge the gap between consoles, and really enforces that the new Nintendo Switch console is the real deal.

Now is the time for Nintendo to start labeling their games as 2 or 3 in the series, instead of "Super Mario Bros U" or something.

• @Stormcrownn said in What would you name the new Mario game coming to Switch?:

Super Mario Galaxy 2.

You mean 3? :)

• @Axel man I don't pay attention.

• I would like it to be named Super Mario Adventure.

It is simple and could fit the theme of traveling and visiting unique locations. If the gimmick doesn't lie in it's setting then something fitting the new central mechanic.

Super Mario Mail, Super Mario Bros. Delivery. Super Mario Shipping, Super Mario Share, Super Mario Blocks

Maybe because it is open world Mario and Luigi are delivering packages and mail across the Mushroom Kingdom and Dinosaur island? Part of delivering packages is measuring them... maybe that fits into Miyamoto's guessing of an object's size?

Typically in Mario games we are collecting things ( Stars, Coins, Power-ups), but sometimes we are delivering stuff (Baby Penguin in Mario 64, Fruit in Mario Sunshine) I think delivery is a good mechanic to base missions on for an Open World Mario game. It gives purpose to the things we collect by giving them a destination and story.

You can have Bowser either stealing mail or him having a rival shipping company. Could we get an in universe explanation of where the question blocks come from? You could tie in the whole mail theme with Street Pass functionality and Miiverse.

• @gerrhod That is a wild idea that I love! It would be a different approach to Mario which wouldn't necessarily completely change the gameplay of Mario but could add some cool new mechanics and context to the games. Instead of just chasing a shadow Mario to a goal because reasons you are racing a rival delivery character to the pickup spot so your company gets the contract. Instead of collecting stars because they power your weird spaceship or for no real reason you are doing your job. Make it happen Nintendo!

• @gerrhod I always liked how the explanation for the blocks in the original Super Mario Brothers. It's such a dark concept that gets overlooked, I wish they'd expand upon it.

alt text

• @SabotageTheTruth Damn, that's a deeper plot than any of the Mario games after that. Bowser even has an actual reason to kidnap Peach. Thanks for that, great find!

• @SabotageTheTruth Excellent! It sounds similar to the Mario Anime movie. Where you had Luigi , Mario and a dog. You can see shades of the black magic with Kamek's powers in ally Super Mario World and Yoshi's island. How the Magikoopa turn blocks into random objects, which totally fits that description... You found the Lost Mario lore! Although that is the western localization, so how accurate is it? Though I would like to see that idea of Peach reversing the Koopa's black magic again.

• @gerrhod I'd like to believe it's accurate. Also, I had no idea there was an anime movie. I wonder if it's anything like the wonderful awful live action one.

• @SabotageTheTruth It is better. In it Bowser was able to transform into different things.
    Here it is enjoy!

Youtube Video

• Banned

@Axel I prefer Bowsers reason for kidnapping is that he has sex with her to make more Koopa kids.

• Mario in the anime above even does the Mario 64 Bowser tail swing! ;) A second viewing of the anime also brought to light, it matches the description from the player manual. Many interesting aspects that made it into later games. I highly suggest watching it. It even mentions the Triforce!?! haha Represented by Flower of Power, Star Power and Mushroom Power.

The deepest connections of lore.... Mario and Zelda universes linked ? Maybe the rule of 3s in Nintendo games has deeper meaning. Toadette is even in this!

• @Art That aint right.

@gerrhod Glad you posted that. More people need to be aware it exists. Kyle was wondering how old Toadette was recently. I think he'd be very surprised.

• @Mbun Yep. To even think this anime was 1986 and they already were toying around with the idea of Kamek and flying airships in it as well.

• @SabotageTheTruth

My favourite bit of that explanation is the "(maybe)" part. I wonder who wrote that and if the translation is accurate. I know Yoshiaki Koizuma did manuals and lore for Zelda games like Link to the Past but he hadn't joined Nintendo until the SNES era.

• Global Moderator

It doesn't really look like it from the few seconds we saw but I've been calling it Super Mario Universe just because it feels like the natural progression.

• @Churchy Yeah it really does hinge on who did the translating. But from the images there are clear ties to SMB3 and beyond. Who knows Nintendo may have borrowed ideas from the anime. lol

@tokeeffe9 Yep, that would also imply larger more varied world.