Second Chance Games

• Allies, have you ever played a game, decided it's a stinker, and then years (possibly decades later) realized you've been a real dum-dum and unfairly judged a great game? What brought you back and made you give it a second chance? Are there any games you'd like to give a second chance but haven't found the motivation to do so yet?

My example : Tetris. I remember playing on the original NES for a few minutes, not understanding why anyone would view this garbage as fun, and dismissing its relevance for about 15 years. Out of morbid curiosity, I decided to check out Kyle's stream of Bosman v. Wozniak and suddenly... everything made sense. Watching his thought process and how he compares the game to dealing with unexpected problems popping up in life, I gained a newfound respect for the game and anyone that loves it. I even went as far as to start playing the game and (even though I'm awful at it) I'm having a great time with it.

Love & respect.

• Undertale. Was hyper critical of it based on its tumblr popularity and judged it as something that had to be pandering bullshit, but after a few weeks I gave in and forced myself through it.

Actually ended up being a pretty decent little game. I think that's the only one I have, but there are dozens of games that I was excited to play that ended up awful.

• @Hoken I luckily played that game as soon as it came out, so that ravaging fan-base hadn't existed just quite yet. Definitely the number one game that makes me crave spaghetti.

• Console gaming in general would be my dum-dum moment actually. I was totally into PC gaming and could care less about console stuff for a long time, until I moved out. My roommate had a PS1 and all these amazing games and obscure gems I never heard of: Grandia, Lunar <- (you'll never get me to shut up about these two lol), FFT, Vagrant Story, Tenchu, Bushido Blade, etc. I realized I missed out on so much just I because I was so dismissive. Never again :heart:

Edit: Got Vagrant Story title incorrect.

• That's a tough one... Probably Hand of Fate. I got it last summer booted it up and thought it was a boring card game. How silly of me. It's a GREAT card game with so much more elements to it. Played it just before E3 2016 again when I had nothing else to play, and I loved it. And I got happy when I learned that a sequel is coming out.

• @Mechanoid Final Fantasy Tactics! That's always my final bet for E3. Either a completely overhauled and remastered version of the original (not War of the Lions) or an entirely brand new game in the series.

• @Nillend Huber convinced me on that one. I had never even heard of it until he did a segment on it, the hype changed my life.

• @SabotageTheTruth I would LOVE a good remaster of FFT or a new tactics with a similar tone of story. Orlandu carried my team of misfits :heart:

• @Mechanoid A good friend of mine played through the entire game using only Ramza. It wasn't that he wanted more of a challenge, he just didn't honestly realize you could have a full party in battle. That's an act of courage I'm not willing to try.

• @SabotageTheTruth He got through Riovanes (sp?) with just Ramza?? HOLY... My respects :bow:

• Banned

I played 10 minutes of Mega Man Legends and couldn't get into it, but years later I went back to it to give it another chance and now it and its sequel are on my favorite games of all time list.

• @Art Legends is so good, it never gets the respect it deserves. That poor cancelled third game... Did Kyle's overbearing love for it get you to try it again or was there another factor?

• Zelda, as a series. As a kid I didn't like it because some older kids used to tell me I wasn't old enough/good enough/am a girl, and therefore wouldn't like it. Which pissed me off more than anything. When I was a little older I figured that Zelda was just overrated, but once I played Twilight Princess, my world was forever changed.

• @michemagius I think you had every right to be pissed. I'm also digging the fact that you embraced the series (partially) due to spite. Turning those bad vibes around.

• Banned

@SabotageTheTruth said in Second Chance Games:

@Art Legends is so good, it never gets the respect it deserves. That poor cancelled third game... Did Kyle's overbearing love for it get you to try it again or was there another factor?

No, it was near the end of the PS1 life cycle when I went back to try it again.

• It's pretty nuts to me now, but I thought the original Bioshock was so bland on my first playthrough, I thought the shooting gameplay was super generic and unrewarding.

Then when I decided to revisit the game I discovered the plasmids! I'd gone through the whole game without ever using any of them, and my first playthrough really suffered from it. Now I love Bioshock though! I think the fact that my English got better also allowed me to appreciate the story more than previously

• @ThatMartime You're right, a no-Plasmid run of Bioshock doesn't sound all that fun. Did you ever get around to giving Infinite a try?

• Yep! I really loved Infinite, even if the original concept was scaled down a bit. Blowing an airship up from the inside and using a skyhook as a getaway was just too cool to dislike for me haha

• @ThatMartime I always get the craziest looks when I say Infinite is my favorite in the franchise. Everyone just wanted it to be the first Bioshock and it did enough to differentiate itself while telling an (arguably) better story. It's a game I wish a lot of people would give a second chance to now that expectations aren't... sky high.

• @SabotageTheTruth Haha thanks for the pun. I totally agree on the story bit, especially with the many opportunities the ending allows for the series! Now I'm kind of bummed they're not making more haha.