Second Chance Games

• @ThatMartime I always get the craziest looks when I say Infinite is my favorite in the franchise. Everyone just wanted it to be the first Bioshock and it did enough to differentiate itself while telling an (arguably) better story. It's a game I wish a lot of people would give a second chance to now that expectations aren't... sky high.

• @SabotageTheTruth Haha thanks for the pun. I totally agree on the story bit, especially with the many opportunities the ending allows for the series! Now I'm kind of bummed they're not making more haha.

• mine is most likely MGS3, when it first came out i played the demo, hated every second of it...years later around the time the HD collection came out i played it and now i love it...still not the best MGS to me (that goes to mgs 2) but it's a damn fine video game.

• @KingofDMC Y'know, I only played about 30 minutes of Snake Eater and I wasn't invested enough to keep playing. I still hear how great it is though so maybe I need to give it another go.

• @SabotageTheTruth i haven't beat it yet cause ive gotten the HD collection fucking twice (onnce on ps3, and again on xbox 360) i waiting for it to become BC on xbone so i can play it and finally beat it.

• @KingofDMC Even if I never get around to playing it again, I really respect Kojima for some of the craziness he added into that one (and all of them, really). All the different ways you can beat the fight with The End.. you'd think more games would try ambitious stuff like that but as far as I know, it hasn't been replicated.

• @SabotageTheTruth devs now a days are to scared to try anything new or different, plus Koji had the freedom to do whatever he wanted with that series...at least until 5.

• For me, Destiny. I was hyped like every other person who wanted to see what the godly Halo-creators would bring down from the heavens. I played for a week. Saddened by disappointment, I put it down and forgot about it. Then some 5 months later a classmate and his friends from his home town get the game as a Christmas gifts. They convince me join for a bit. Now I have over 600 hours in the game. I consider it one of my got-to's every couple of months. Play with people from my own home town and some new friends I met online.

Not saying its a hidden gem but for sure it was a game that I would've called a waste of time at release, and its now a staple game in my catalog.

• @frasafrase Looks like we went the complete opposite directions when it comes to Destiny then, haha. I could not stop playing and obsessing over the game when it first came out, but I had a somber, "what the hell am I doing with my life?," moment and only came back for The Taken King and even that only kept me interested for a week. That's rad though that a group of friends getting the game is what led to you giving it another chance.

• Dragons Dogma. Hated it first go, picked it up when Dark Arisen came out and for some reason it clicked like no other. 10/10 game

• Dragon's Dogma.

Came off the back of 600 hours + put into Demon's and Dark Souls. The initial demo was unclear and underwhelming, a total washout for me.

Then they released a new demo, which was just a simple fight with a griffon more or less. Complete turnaround as far as I was concerned, and I never looked back, now amongst my favourite games of all time.

• @flower_arrangement Seriously overlooked game. Even when it had major amounts of ideas for stuff gutted out of it what we got is far and above my favorite open world RPG. Here's hoping for a sequel down the line, or them just letting the west in on Dragons Dogma Online

• The biggest for me is Mass Effect. Easily. I bought the second one, at the time the first was only on PC and Xbox, neither was an option for me. I tried it but could not get into it. Couple of years later I downloaded the ME3 demo and really got into it. I played the series backwards, but it for some reason worked for me.
    Now it's easily my favourite game series and the second is of course the best. Thank god for that demo. It makes me sad more games don't have them, I always wonder what great games I dismissed due to not getting to try them. It's why I appreciate playthroughs of games.

• Believe it or not, Final Fantasy VII. First time I played it was as a rental from Blockbuster. I'd just gotten a PS1 and asked the guy working what was a good game. That's what he recommended, so I took it home. It was the first JRPG I had played (though I'd played Ultima III, Wizardry, and a few others from the early PC days) and I guess I just didn't get it. I'm super old school, and stories were not at all what I played games for. I remember thinking, "Christ, this is just reading and pressing circle over and over!" Anyway, i took it back and went back to playing Twisted Metal.

I think it was Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door where turn-based RPG's finally clicked with me. I revisited FF7, and sure enough, what they said was true. I'm really bad about finishing JRPG's though, so I've never made it to the end (I know, I know) but it's a great game and I'm really hoping Squeenix doesn't botch the remake.

All that said, I still don't know what all the fuss over Dragon Age: Inquisition was about.

• @Mortambulist You're not alone, I gave Inquisition a solid day worth of my time and just could not find myself caring about any of the characters. Maybe The Witcher spoiled me, I'm not sure.

• The souls game. I Bought demon souls. Could not get into it. Played dark souls still couldn't get into it.
    Everyone kept talking about it and felt like i was missing out big time. So when bloodbourne came out i forced myself to play it for longer then half an hour. I got right into it. Didn't complete it mind you but I beat some of the hard bosses on my own. Rom the vacuous spider.
    I loved the lore, the tension, the combat. I still find it really hard though and am still on the fence with the whole, the harder is the more satisfaction you get for beating it, thing. I bought dark souls 3 and haven't played it yet. The games intimidate me

• @Tommynaut21
    Rough as hell in parts - with a difficulty curve like a bad day at the stock exchange - and most infuriatingly for the acolytes: utterly frustrating to explain to a cynical friend, especially without spoiling certain twists and turns.

I would love a sequel, but can we trust Capcom to not mess it up? Was some of the charm due to that sense of discovering something overlooked, as "secret club" as that may sound?

Let's indulge: which vocation was your favourite? And what would you most like to see in a follow up game?

• @flower_arrangement If they got Itsuno back to direct then at worst it has the same "cut content" problems the first one had. Him and his team always create something good, and with knowledge that hes working on something it could easily mean DD2, or DMC5, or something new entirely. and I gotta show my love for the mystic knight. Smashing a glowing orb to send out bullet hell levels of damage orbs evverywhere can't be topped. Also really love the assassin

• @flower_arrangement Also I'd love to finally go to the moon, like intended. And maybe at the least 2 player co op, while retaining the pawn system. Its just too much of a staple to let go of. Probably a more cohesive story where its not all "what is even going on?" until the final parts/ng+. Try to go even deeper into the combat, fine tune it I guess. And lastly find a better medium for traversal. I love roaming the map, but fast travel can be helpful. I like how it limited how much you could really do that but I does put a lot of people off

• Super Mario 3D World
    Did the bare minimum to beat this game. Eventually came back to it a year later and got hooked on it. Had way more fun than I did originally. Not really sure what changed, but I think it had to do with trying to collect things the second time around and exploring the levels more.

BioShock
    This was my first M game and the beginning violence was off putting. Came back to it after a year (only played 30 minutes originally) and loved the crap out of it. The good ending is still my favorite.