Arrival (the movie)

• I just needed to tell people that Arrival is an amazing, amazing movie. Probably my favorite of the year. Don't wan to spoil anything for anyone but if you get a chance this is definitely worth the see. Excellent cinematography and story layout, just a wonderful movie. I found it really engrossing and walked out of the theater wanting to immediately see it again.

Anyone else like this movie?

• I saw it at a preview screening. The movie was good, I thought the end was a little trite and obvious, and they really hammered it in. Other than that, good film!

Also, whoever put on the preview screening bought like 50 pizzas, and provided free popcorn and sodas/bottled water, so I'll always remember that screening fondly.

• I mostly liked it. It has some pacing issues and the ending feels rushed imho. What I did like was the ideas it presented about communication(with aliens) and how well-shot the entire movie was. The thing I liked most about it is -much like with "Interstellar"- how it actually gets people thinking about these ideas and pick up interest in science. (allthough this movie doesn't have the same exposition-dump-problem that "Interstellar" had)

• I really liked Arrival.. probably my favorite sci-fi movie since Interstellar. I've been a fan of most of Villeneuve's movies so far. I'm starting to look forward to seeing what he does with Blade Runner

• I didn't care for it, personally. I'd probably consider it one of the worst films I've seen from 2016 haha.

Different strokes and all that.

• I definitely enjoyed it. The ending was a little strange but I guess that could be said about many sci-fi movies. All in all I really enjoyed it and would recommend.

• @Mango said in Arrival (the movie):

I just needed to tell people that Arrival is an amazing, amazing movie. Probably my favorite of the year. Don't wan to spoil anything for anyone but if you get a chance this is definitely worth the see. Excellent cinematography and story layout, just a wonderful movie. I found it really engrossing and walked out of the theater wanting to immediately see it again.

Anyone else like this movie?

I saw it on Friday. Was weeping at the end of it.
    The less you know going in the better.

• Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate everyone's input. I personally didn't think it was similar to interstellar at all

This next bit is a bit spoilery so don't read ahead if you are hoping to see the film because as @TheHashtag0nist said the less you know going in the better.

What I really enjoyed about the movie is that what the core message of what the movie was saying was actually said in the layout of the scenes they chose to show and you only realized it at the end. It was amazing I thought. Really a well constructed film

• @Mango Are you on Twitter, I need someone to talk to about this :D
    (Otherwise i'll just DM you)

• @TheHashtag0nist not on twitter and infrequently on here but message me DM me anytime

• I expected no less than a 9/10 film from Vilenueve and that's exactly what I got. He's such a excellent director and its good to know that he's in the spotlight. If y'all haven't watched his previous work, Polytechnique is a good start

• @siegeh thanks for the tip, I actually made it a point to walk out of the theater and look up his other films.

• @siegeh Dang. I just looked up a the plot summary and that movie sounds HEAVY.

• @siegeh I'll have to check that out. I've only seen his more recent films since Prisoners.

I'd highly recommend Sicario as well to anyone who hasn't seen it. Its similar to Arrival in some ways, wherein the main character serves almost as a lens for the audience rather than the star of the movie and Emily Blunt does it just as well as Amy Adams in my opinion. He does a great job of relentlesly building tension in that movie

• @Faaip Oh yeah I just recently watched Sicario on Amazon Prime and that movie is fantastic! So intense but grounded. I do enjoy his style, like you mentioned its less about this one character and more about an overarching narrative. Really good movie. Worth a watch for anyone who hasn't seen it.

• @Tragosaurus it's an interesting film, I'd say the same for Enemy (there was even a nod towards it in Arrival)

• I loved Arrival! I knew nothing about it going in so I had no expectations, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• It was good. There has been lot of these non-linear time with emotional resolution movies/series lately (Lost and Interstellar come to mind) but I have to say that best it has been done (though Interstallar was really good also) was that one storyline on Game of Thrones that Huber brought up on latest Frame Trap. That had really crushing effect on me and Huber said it made him cry for hours :D

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.