Let It Die

• No, I'm not suggesting another version of Kill Your Babies on this forum, I'm talking about the recent free-to-play game released by suda51's Grasshopper Manufacture.

My initial impressions when I saw this game was a lot of groaning. I'm a long-time suda51 fan thanks to things like Killer 7 and No More Heroes, but with the release of games like Killer is Dead and Lollipop Chainsaw, I felt the team was losing some of its edge. Couple in the fact that free-to-play usually means lack of quality and I felt this game was doomed from the start. Then I downloaded it out of morbid curiosity.

Prepare yourself. Grab a glass of water but don't drink it yet. Sit down. I love this game. I've dropped every other game I'm currently playing to just dig in and I just may need another shovel to become more efficient at digging.

Let me preface this by saying - if you've actively disliked most of suda's work, including the good stuff, this game probably isn't for you. He isn't the director this time around but it's obvious he had an influence. This game is... weird. Mostly. In presentation and environment, it's absolutely bizarre. The minute to minute gameplay? Not quite as strange, but that's okay. It's getting a load of comparisons to Dark Souls and... that's not far off. Granted, the combat doesn't feel as fluid as it would in Dark Souls and blocking/dodging are almost always ineffective, but it replaces this with a more visceral take on things. Did you ever want to use a steaming iron to melt off someone's skin until they explode into a pile of blood and coins? Welp, this might be the game for you.

I think the big concern with a free-to-play model is - okay, when do I need to start spending money? I'm close to approaching the 10th floor and not only have I not run into any restrictive walls, I'm actually loaded up with premium currency thanks to the game being very generous. Death Metals seem to be the only currency you can purchase and they have three uses, 1) instant resurrection of your character in the tower so you don't lose progress/items, 2) expanding inventory space in your storage, 3) buying more in-game currency to purchase weapons/armor. The storage starts out relatively low so that's worth pumping coins into and if you're having a run with a lot of blueprints, you may want to resurrect yourself but other than that... it feels like I'm playing a full price game.

If you like suda's previous work, enjoy the bizarre, or appreciate games with roguelike elements, I can't recommend it enough. It's free so.... doesn't hurt to give it a whirl.

Anyone else enjoying this one?

• Playing it right now actually, loving it. I just hit the 17th floor.

Like other Gungho games they hand out currency quite frequently, especially when there's been unexpected maintenances or whatever, so I had 30 some odd death metals from the first few days of playing, naturally dumped those all into my storage so I can effectively craft more often.

Haven't felt the need to drop any cash yet, the pass is nice because of the extra bag space and free elevator use but it's nowhere near a requirement.

• @ZyloWolfBane I haven't even tried out the passes yet, although I've got two saved up for a rainy day when I can dedicate more time to the game.

• Oh look... Let It Die is EZA's most surprising game of 2016 (starts around 01:55:50)!

Youtube Video

Update on my views of the game - madly in love at this point. Finally made it to the 12th floor so a lot more of the mechanics have opened up for me. Even going on scavenge hunts for materials with my collector can feel tense when a level 50 enemy invades my game. Let It Die should not exist.. but I'm glad it does.

• I'm on floor 22 so far, and I'm totally at a wall. I've upgraded tons of gear and I get 1-2 shotted by all of the enemies.

Spent 2 days grinding, went back last night, same thing lol.

• @ZyloWolfBane Ouch, that doesn't sound like a good time. What weapons are you using? I switched over to using assault rifles and magnums last night and holy hell... I am destroying anything that comes close to me. Then again, I'm only on level 14... or 15 now.

• @SabotageTheTruth said in Let It Die:

@ZyloWolfBane Ouch, that doesn't sound like a good time. What weapons are you using? I switched over to using assault rifles and magnums last night and holy hell... I am destroying anything that comes close to me. Then again, I'm only on level 14... or 15 now.

Originally I was upgrading the Jungle Machete which was OHKOing everything in my path under the 20th floor, but it hit a hard cap on it's 3 star upgrade due to requiring materials from the 40th floor, so the damage is stuck at 96, which anything with armor on the 21-22nd floors take so little damage it's pathetic, in fact one of the mechanical monsters that can appear in a trap room there takes ZERO damage from it, so if you don't have a weapon that dropped from that floor you can't kill it or escape, even if you use a death metal.

Farmed my ass off to upgrade the iron and long sword instead which are both going quite well so far, and the Dark Dybeck armor set with a War ensemble sticker for 20% bonus defense.

• @ZyloWolfBane It sounds like I may not have the easiest time once I get there, haha. But I've been grinding quite a bit, trying to upgrade my base/add fighters so I can actually win some defenses for a change. I noticed a lot of the Haters that come out me have machetes so I figured they'd be pretty powerful but I'm generally running assault rifle/magnum combo with a 2 star hammer/bat as back-up. Do you have any weapons that deal electrical damage? That could potentially help but I know I haven't run across many elemental blueprints - just one for a fire rod that requires materials I haven't come across yet. The other thing I can think of that might help is skill shrooms. I'm not sure if you've run into them yet, but I definitely found some bronze ones during my second run of the boss on the 10th floor that I could trade in for a 10% increase to certain damage types. I picked blunt weapons but there's a decal for slicing as well.

• @SabotageTheTruth said in Let It Die:

@ZyloWolfBane It sounds like I may not have the easiest time once I get there, haha. But I've been grinding quite a bit, trying to upgrade my base/add fighters so I can actually win some defenses for a change. I noticed a lot of the Haters that come out me have machetes so I figured they'd be pretty powerful but I'm generally running assault rifle/magnum combo with a 2 star hammer/bat as back-up. Do you have any weapons that deal electrical damage? That could potentially help but I know I haven't run across many elemental blueprints - just one for a fire rod that requires materials I haven't come across yet. The other thing I can think of that might help is skill shrooms. I'm not sure if you've run into them yet, but I definitely found some bronze ones during my second run of the boss on the 10th floor that I could trade in for a 10% increase to certain damage types. I picked blunt weapons but there's a decal for slicing as well.

Yeah, on the 21st floor there's a blueprint for an electric weapon but I think it requires materials from higher floors I haven't gotten to yet sadly.

Same problem with all my fire weapons =(

• My experience with Let it Die, in three days:

Day 1: My lifelong friend, a blue collar, married, gaming hobbyist with a surprising amount of consoles and games and a surprisingly low enthusiasm for gaming, has been bugging me about this game for a week. I told him about it after the conference, he played it out of curiosity because he had no idea about it, and now he's hooked.

I have a spare night, and the game is already downloaded. I make myself a hot toddy because I'm sick and go to play Let it Die. It's undergoing emergency maintenance. I fiddle about with a couple of PS Plus games, then return to Let it Die. Emergency maintenance.

I go to bed.

Day 2: One week later. My friend has been phoning me every day on his way home from work to see if I have played Let it Die, so I decide to try again.

I get in.

Death is neat. I like the look of the train station, but the game immediately falls into vaguely industrial, dilapidated environments that aren't at all interesting. It plays like the Souls games and reminds me that I only ever really played Demon's Souls other than Bloodborne, and never made it very far. It also pulls the same required death gag in case you really didn't notice.

There's a lot of text---not a very compelling way to introduce the functions of the world. Characters are weird and tacky, but also surprisingly absent. Much of it is just maneuvering vacant halls and breaking weapons on people wearing reflector vests.

It tries very hard to be as gratifying as it can for the player. Here's some fireworks telling you that you just made the game a little easier for yourself. Keep it up. Here's a present; every day can be like Christmas if you just log in. I find its coddling and celebration at odds with its dungeon crawling.

I play for a couple hours then go and watch a movie. The Neon Demon. It fucking sucks.

Day 3: My friend is still bothering me. He assumes that now that I've played it, I know everything about the game and would love to hear about all of his stories fighting about. Which I kind of do, it's nice to hear him passionate about a game again. He presses me to keep playing, so I decide that I'll put in some more time after I walk the dog. I hadn't played enough of Let it Die to make up my mind or obtain a full understanding of it.

It's cold outside, there's snow. We had a good amount of wind a couple nights ago and even a short blackout.

I get back and jump into Let it Die. There's an update. The PS4's sleep mode was cut out by the power outage so the update didn't happen. It takes half an hour to download and another hour to install. When I see this, I delete the app.

I search through my drawer for Demon's Souls. I figure my efforts in giving a game in this style of game a fair(er) shake is worth something.

I'm enjoying it more than I did the first time.

• @Ringedwithtile My first day was much like yours. I had a rough day at work, I had been looking to coming home, opening a beer, and having a weird time and bam... emergency maintenance. Since then, I've clocked in close to 20 hours in less than a week.

Thing is, I can't really disagree with anything you said. The environments do change, but you have to put a lot of work into it to make it happen. A lot of functionality is pretty much closed off until you start beating some of the earlier bosses - you can't actually invade bases, protect your own, or get classes other than the "all-rounder".

As for the characters and their attitudes towards you, I think the complaints you mentioned can be applied to any game suda51 has even briefly helped create. That doesn't mean there isn't an issue there, it just becomes more of an acquired taste. For the setting and the comparison to the Souls series - I can't recall when he said it, but there was a video awhile back of Jones explaining his disinterest with the Souls series but how he appreciated Bloodborne much more. He explained that Dark Souls aims for a fantasy setting, which in most forms of media, includes bustling cities and a diverse population. Souls is just bleak all around. On the other hand, Bloodborne has a gothic horror backdrop so a lot of what the Souls series unique fits the world so much better. I feel the same with Let It Die, this is a post-apocalyptic world that has been ravaged. If I had a bunch of characters inhabiting the world, I feel like the place would be less... believable. That may not be the right phrasing, considering the main character in the game is a grim reaper that rides around on a skateboard.

But hey, at least it sparked your interest back in Demon's Souls. I'd definitely say the game isn't for everyone and things are still early on. I'm actually most curious to see how this game changes over time.

• Oh, I love weird and tacky, it wasn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm mostly into more experimental and strange games. I haven't played a game from Suda prior to this one, though my same friend lent me No More Heroes not long ago, which I understand is one of his stronger efforts.

I'm also not against giving this game another shot down the road, my post was more of illustration of how my first impressions, and the circumstances surrounding my playing it have caused me to be a bit unfair to the game.

• @Ringedwithtile Totally fair, I just hope you give it another shake at some point! If you plan to hunt down that suda goodness, No More Heroes and Killer7 would definitely be the way to go.

• Reminder to support this game by actually buying something you think is fair if you find yourself pumping dozens of hours into Let It Die and are genuinely having a good time. It's not immediately evil to give money to Free to Play model games, and you're not "part of the problem" as long as you're not giving in to a game designed to do nothing but suck cash from your wallet. Decide what you think is a fair amount and will enhance your already good experience with the game, and consider it the price you would've payed for the game had it costed money to begin with.

It's easy to just walk away having never spent a dime and brag about it, but that's only encouraging the Free to Play tactics to get scummier and slimier in how they pressure you to spend money. Instead reward one done right, so in the future companies can understand treating their customers right can be beneficial to everyone involved.

• @Mbun $15 spent so far, I'm sure that won't be all either lol.

• @Mbun Couldn't agree more. I love that the game isn't intrusive with its microtransactions, but I love it to death so.. $5 in already. More once this holiday season is over.

• ill probally check it out after the new year really gotta finish other things on my ps4 becasue i need some space they really shit the bed with a 500gb harddrive

• @FF7Cloud I installed a 1 TB hard drive and I'm still always running out of space. It's rough.

• @SabotageTheTruth ff15 is 55gb cod4 is 58 and cod iw is 52 theres 160gb just in 3 games

• @FF7Cloud From what I remember, Let It Die is like 48 with all the patches as well. Wheee.