The EZA community Top 50 Videogame Characters!

• Global Moderator

Alright! we are within the top 20!

20. Auron - Badass dude! I always found him being really strong in the team and one of the core members. He is cool looking, silent but deadly.

19. Commander Shepard - I really like shepard. I mean I spent 3 games with him! But I need to agree with @Brannox to why I didnt put him on my list. As a "blank slate" its hard to get him and say "this is shepard" as you can craft him to your liking. Good or Evil and that whole bit. So how awesome my shepard may be, he is too "open" to make my list. I did put another one on.

• @Brannox I had a lot of trouble with my number one placement but after literal days of deliberation, I had to put Auron on top, even if I don't value FFX as much as I used to. Like you said, he elevates the game on his own, has a past that is wrought with grief, has some of the best lines in the game ("The red carpet has teeth"), and is modeled after ronins, which makes him all the more awesome. In a game known for some cheesy voice-over work, Matt McKenzie absolutely nails the delivery with Auron. As a kid, I loved this game so much that I'd wake up early before school to play it (I value sleep immensely, so that means something) and my love of Auron reached such a peak that I started jotting down all of his lines in a notebook. Yeah, I was weird and still am, but maybe that also speaks to his character.

Game Informer described him as one of the most complex RPG companions in game history. You keep being a badass, ghost dude.

Youtube Video

• Yeah Shepard is a weird choice, its kind of like picking yourself as really he/her ended up being the player depending on how you played him/her

• @SabotageTheTruth That's. Freaking. Awesome.

• Im predicting some resident evil to show up soon. A lot more final fantasy and probably some mass effect (if shep is here there's gotta be more).

• I'm not so sure that Resident Evil characters will show up. If you remember last countdown had very little love for the RE franchise. RE4 didn't even make it on the top 100, and the only 2 RE games that did were the Remake at #52 and RE2 at #45.

• @Brandon_Reister Maybe that will change once Barry Burton reveals himself in MVC Infinite.

• i forgot how epic ffx opening is probally one of the best openings in the series

• @FF7Cloud 2nd only to that bombing run brilliance.

• @SabotageTheTruth yea exactly or the whole prolougue of fft

• @SabotageTheTruth @FF7Cloud Yous guys be speakin my language =-D

• @SabotageTheTruth I still cry at the first three notes of the opening bombing mission theme from FF7.

• 20. Auron
    Meh.

19. Commander Shepard
    Tbh I don't think he or she belongs on this list.

• @SabotageTheTruth @FF7Cloud @Brannox All of this talk is really making me want to go back and play it. I've wanted to for a while now but haven't got around to it yet. That might have to change.

• Sheperd seems like an extremely odd choice to me, much as Bowser he is just really an icon not really an character

• Are characters designed to be a vessel for player's expression considered good characters?
    I mean, they are basically designed to be a blank slate.

• @bard91 said in The EZA Top 50 Videogame Characters ever! (Countdown):

Sheperd seems like an extremely odd choice to me, much as Bowser he is just really an icon not really an character

I'd say Bowser is even more iconic, not really because of longeivity, but everyone who plays SMB3 or SMW or Galaxy all get the same bowser in those games. When playing Mass Effect, most players get at least a slightly different Shepard

• I think the fact that Shep is so malleable is exactly why he/she belongs on the list. Not as a fixed, defined quantity - but as a vessel of player agency. (At least in the first two games)

• Auron's alright I guess. He's one of the better characters in FFX, but I don't think that's saying very much.

Shep is a weird pick, I'll have to agree with a lot of the other posters here. I think Shep's inclusion speaks more to the popularity of the game than it does to the quality of the character.

alt text
    18. Cloud Strife - 110 Points - 5 Votes - Highest Vote: #4 CGamor7

Aliases:
    First appearance: Final Fantasy VII (1997)
    Other appearances: Final Fantasy Tactics, Ehrgeiz, Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts II, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, Dissidia: Final Fantasy, World of Final Fantasy,....
    Developer: Squaresoft

Cloud Strife (Japanese: クラウド・ストライフ Hepburn: Kuraudo Sutoraifu?) is a fictional character and the main protagonist of Square's (now Square Enix's) role-playing video game Final Fantasy VII and several of its sequels and spin-offs. He was designed by Tetsuya Nomura, a character artist for the Final Fantasy series, whose role expanded during the title's development to include supervision over Cloud's personality. Yoshinori Kitase, director of VII, and Kazushige Nojima, one of the game's event planners, developed the story and wanted to create a mysterious character who acted atypically for a hero. In Final Fantasy VII, Cloud is a mercenary claiming to be formerly of SOLDIER, a group of elite supersoldiers employed by the Shinra Electric Power Company, a megacorporation responsible for draining the life from the planet. Fighting against Shinra in the resistance group AVALANCHE, and driven by a feud with the primary antagonist, Sephiroth, Cloud learns to accept his troubled past and adapts to his role as a leader.

Other Votes: SabotageTheTruth (7.), Brannox (6.), FF7Cloud (17.), MCRMJ (11.)

Links:
    Wikipedia
    Profile on Giantbomb