The EZA community Top 50 Videogame Characters!

• I just don't think Samus has any real personality and that goes for a lot of the iconic video game characters which is why they never made my list.

Tiny bit suprised that Drake got top spot over Snake but I love both characters so I'm fine with it anyway.

Growing up playing the MGS games for all those years and growing with that character is probably the main reason I love Snake so much. And I think I gained an even bigger appreciation for him with how things are portrayed in MGS3 and MGSV

• Ya I'm a bit surprised Vaas isn't there alright.

• @tokeeffe9 IMO "personality" is just one of many factors that go into making a great character, but obviously it's not the only one, nor is it always the most important one. Hell, characters like Sephiroth don't necessarily hit it out of the park personality-wise, but make a huge impact anyways. :)

• Nathan!
    Not entirely sure why people find him boring, but to each their own. Personally I found him hilarious and charming.

Though, I am surprised he got #1. I really thought it was gonna be Snake.

• My biggest surprise from this list is the severe lack of Chrono Trigger characters. Granted, I'm not a big fan of the game but even I had to recognize Frog's excellence as a character and include him in my list.

So here's my beauty bois that didn't make it onto the community list.

4- Ramza Beoulve - Final Fantasy Tactics
    8- Nate/Kei Nanjo - Persona 1 & 2
    10- Billy Lee Black - Xenogears
    11- Frog - Chrono Trigger
    12- Cait Sith/Reeve Tuesti - Final Fantasy VII
    13- Zenyatta - Overwatch
    14- Trevor Phillips - Grand Theft Auto V
    15- Yoshimitsu - Tekken series
    16- Elizabeth - Bioshock Infinite
    17- Tohru Adachi - Persona 4
    19- Papyrus - Undertale
    20- Yoshi - Mario series
    22- Tharja - Fire Emblem: Awakening
    23- Snorlax - Pokemon series
    24- Pyramid Head - Silent Hill 2
    25- Andrew Ryan - Bioshock
    26- Jack van Burace - Wild Arms
    29- Igor - Persona series
    30- Ryotoro Dojima - Persona 4

Least my top 3 made it in, woop.

• I can't believe so many people are calling Nathan Drake boring! Either you haven't played the games enough, or you're playing them on mute.

He's an incredibly varied character that completely subverts expectations of him being bland and run-of-the-mill like so many other white make video game characters.

Drake is great in spite of his pretty boy looks, and both his humour and character flaws make him so likeable from the outset.

A very deserving #1

• I honestly can't understand Drake even being in the list.

He IS boring. Bland in that he's such a normal character and has nothing exceptional or interesting about him at all. Excuse the fact that he's such a Hollywood, "Jack Colton" character rip-off, he's still just a comic relief at the end of the day.

• On the topic of Nathan Drake being boring, my big question is this - why wasn't anyone saying this when Link got the 21st spot? He doesn't even talk!

The Uncharted series isn't really for me but considering Nolan North has won awards for his performance, I feel like boring probably isn't the best way to describe it. A game with its story and performances front and center has its lead take our number 1 spot, I'm okay with that.

• @SabotageTheTruth said in The EZA Top 50 Videogame Characters ever! (COMPLETE!):

On the topic of Nathan Drake being boring, my big question is this - why wasn't anyone saying this when Link got the 21st spot? He doesn't even talk!

The Uncharted series isn't really for me but considering Nolan North has won awards for his performance, I feel like boring probably isn't the best way to describe it. A game with its story and performances front and center has its lead take our number 1 spot, I'm okay with that.

Because acting performance does not make a character?

• @SabotageTheTruth

I find most Chrono Trigger characters are rather vanilla and basic short of Frog and Magus. Lucca is neat, but doesn't really jump out at me

• @SabotageTheTruth Probably because it wasn't near the top, and Link is at least Iconic

Though Wind Waker Link is pretty awesome and has lots of expression

• @SabotageTheTruth your lack of Delitia dissapoints me jk

• @ACardAttack That was a point I made at the onset of this whole ordeal - being iconic doesn't necessarily make a great character. I remember everyone had a problem with Commander Shepard taking a spot but there were so many ways you could build him/her and everything was voiced with personality. Link is literally just a husk with a green tunic that swings a sword. I will take my protest to the streets if I have to!

@Sheria You're saying the way a character moves, talks, and overall personality/attitude isn't part of their character? I'd have to say those are pretty defining elements for what makes a character great. Like @TokyoSlim mentioned, personality isn't everything when it comes to impact but even from an outsider's perspective of the Uncharted series, I'd say Drake has some charm. That charm won't work on everyone but it has lead to many awards, many sequels, and most importantly, the coveted number one spot on the EZA Top 50 Videogame Characters ever! list.

• @Alex840 I don't find him boring per se, I just finding him unlikable, and as mentioned I fail to see anything interesting about him.

@SabotageTheTruth I'm pretty sure some of us tought of Link as a bad pick for top characters in video games, I certainly think he is.

• @SabotageTheTruth I don't disagree, though toon link has a lot of personality

I agree that Shepard shouldn't be on this list, hell I'd take him off before Drake as number 1

• @TokyoSlim @SabotageTheTruth Shoutouts to Thane, Elizabeth, and Cait Sith/Reeve.

Another response on Drake being boring: If I may, what, to you who hold this opinion, defines a good character? I believe I need proper context for your definition to help me understand where you're coming from. If it's a question of likability, that's entirely something separate, of which I can understand. As has been demonstrated, everyone runs the gambit on Drake, from loving him, liking him and finding him to be alright to uninteresting, boring, and outright disliking him.

Also, when literally half of the lists at least mention one character, then for sure their place is going to be really high. But to that end, I think that's maybe why Drake placed where he did. Only 28 people contributed to this effort. How many gave list for the top 100 games (Which has become unpinned for some reason)? I don't know the number exactly, but a whole lot more I'm sure. If the same number of people put effort into this that did for the top 100 games, Drake would NOT be #1, of which I would bet money on.

EDIT: 44 contributed to the top 100 games so yeah, 16 people would DEFINITELY have affected the final tally in a major way.

• @Brannox The top 100 thread got moved to the Hall of Fame! It's the only thread residing in that prestigious category currently.

• @SabotageTheTruth I didn't notice that! That's AWESOME!!! Thanks for pointing that out! That thread deserves it.

• Well, the winning list is pretty much the polar opposite of my list. Just two of them got in (Fierce Deity was counted as Link)...

Halo series spoiler:

#1: 343 Guilty Spark (antagonist in the Halo series)

#2: Scyther (Pokémon, #123)
    #3: Snorlax (Pokémon, #143)
    #4: Kirby (star of Nintendo's Kirby series)
    #5: Fierce Deity (Link's alternate super-form in Majora's Mask)
    #6: Like Like (long-running Legend of Zelda enemy)
    #7: Saria (Forest Sage in Ocarina of Time)
    #8: Morpha (Water Temple boss in Ocarina of Time)
    #9: Rayman (title character of Ubisoft's Rayman series)
    #10: Ghirahim (antagonist in Skyward Sword)
    #11: Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat)
    #12: Lake Scientist/Professor (marine researcher in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask)
    #13: Master Hand (final boss in the Super Smash Bros. series)
    #14: Dwarven Centurion (giant mechanical enemy in Skyrim)
    #15: Nightmare (Soul Calibur)
    #16: Flare Dancer (enemy in Ocarina of Time)
    #17: Mannimarco, the King of Worms (necromancer in TES: Oblivion, also in Daggerfall and TES: Online)
    #18: Kefka Palazzo (chief villain of Final Fantasy VI)
    #19: Guru-Guru (recurring musician character in the Legend of Zelda series)
    #20: Hunter (heavily armoured enemy in the Halo series)
    #21: Cortana (artificial intelligence sidekick in the Halo series)

Banjo-Tooie spoiler:

#22: Mingy Jongo (evil robotic clone of Mumbo Jumbo in Banjo-Tooie)

#23: Chain Chomp (enemy in the Mario series)
    #24: Sam Fisher (protagonist of the Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell series)

Pikmin 3 spoiler:

#25: Plasm Wraith (final boss of Pikmin 3)

#26: Tab/Corn (playable character in Jet Grind Radio and Jet Set Radio Future)
    #27: Leon Powalski (member of Star Wolf)
    #28: Grimshaw (funny-voiced hacker in Perfect Dark)
    #29: Captain Olimar (protagonist of the Pikmin series)
    #30: Tubba Blubba (Paper Mario)

No Kirby? No Sub-Zero? Really?? 0_o

• After a brief gap I'm back to say I'm glad that Big Boss made it into the list. Although in the early Metal Gear games he's more of a cold hearted villain, MGS3, Peacewalker and Phantom Pain gave him pathos and made him far more human. In those games you realise why he became what he was and his journey that way. I love Solid Snake too but I think Big Boss just tips it for me.

And I have an admission, I've really only started playing Uncharted properly so I don't know enough about Drake to comment, but it's interesting to her such differing arguments about him, and also what makes a great video game character in general.